Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Tomlinson
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'm having trouble deciding which version of this game to get. I've just been offered a second hand like new (played once) polish version for €30 which seems ok to me. But that version doesn't come with the ghost screen or crystal balls.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1286956/different-editions-...

I see the Italian version comes with both of these when it gets reprinted soon (October) but will cost €40 + shipping (around €50 in total). But this version is the least likely to receive the expansions currently being planned for the Ukrainian version.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1422286/italian-reprint-gho...
http://www.uplay.it/gioco_da_tavolo-Il_Sesto_Senso.html
https://twitter.com/igames_ua/status/634358126377082880

The English version will also have both although people have negatively commented on the cartoony style artwork. I see someone on geekmarket is offering it for 22.85 GBP + shipping, which seems cheap. What is the RRP? I also guess the English version will be likely to receive all expansions.
https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/794023

Can people give me a little advice on which path is best please!?

One last question - can you use the dream cards from this to play Dixit?

Thanks for any advice offered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My first game: BASKETmind, a simple yet realistic 5on5 basketball game
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
tomaquet wrote:
One last question - can you use the dream cards from this to play Dixit?

Yes. The dream deck is almost exactly a Dixit deck: same card size, same number of cards, similar style.

You can play Dixit with them, and you can also play this game with a Dixit deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some people have used Dixit cards to play Mysterium so, I'm sure it could work the other way.

Tajemnice Domostwo is fine. I have played the US version and, personally, I though it did nothing to improve game play or deal with any basic problem the game has - plus, it's more fiddly and arguably less thematic.

you can make a screen if needed, it plays OK without it, the crystal balls are flashy (I made my own from crystal drawer knobs from ebay) but don't alter basic game play.

just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ukranian/russian editions are the original ones, and any expansions will likely come over there first. The polish one is identical in card size, art and card backs to the ukranian, and while you cannot predict the future with 100% accuracy, it probably means that any expansion will be available faster for the polish one, or in the worst case scenario you can buy the ukranian expansion and it will work the same.

The italian card backs are a different color, so it's not compatible with the other editions, and the Libellud one is gonna have different art, backs and card sizes. If the expansion gets released at all for those versions, it will probably take longer, so in your situation those are the worst options despite the extra components.

The crystal balls and tokens are nice, sure, but they don't impact the game in any way. The screen does make the ghost's work a lot easier, but if you are mainly concerned with playing now and getting the expansion later, your best bet is to buy the polish one, then get a GM screen from a Vampire: the masquerade or any other horror game (it will do the job and more or less fit with the theme, and you can improve it with glue and card sleeves to make pockets for the cards), and if you like you can get an italian screen after the reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say pick the one with the best art/components. You can use any of the rules you like. I believe the polish version is getting an expansion which will include the screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game boils down to cards and colour markers. You don't need any of the other frippery. I think that the Polish edition in good condition for E30 is a good option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a Polish copy (before the US one was released) for a few different reasons.

I prefer the character artwork and the box art in the Polish version, and although the ghost screen would be nice to have, the US version seems to have too many unnecessary rules and components to deal with so I didn't think it was worth waiting for. I also picked up the bonus Motive cards for Tajemnicze Domostwo, which add a little bit of extra gameplay. I'm not sure if those are available for any other version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
The game boils down to cards and colour markers. You don't need any of the other frippery. I think that the Polish edition in good condition for E30 is a good option.

Thumbed and gilded for "frippery"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tomlinson
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ok. Thanks for all your comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Steddum
Germany
Homburg
flag msg tools
mearendil wrote:
The italian card backs are a different color, so it's not compatible with the other editions, and the Libellud one is gonna have different art, backs and card sizes. If the expansion gets released at all for those versions, it will probably take longer, so in your situation those are the worst options despite the extra components.

I'm considering buying the Italian second edition. I don't quite understand the compatibility issue, but I've only demoed the game once. Do the different card backs affect the gameplay? Or is just not as aesthetically pleasing to mix different card backs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy an expansion with different card backs (i.e. Italian base + polish expansion) you can know at first sight which cards are from the base game, and which ones from the expansion.

Gameplay wise there isn't much problem (the art in the front is the same and the game still works) but you are supposed to choose the suspects/places/weapons at random. And if you see (accidentally or intentionally) that the ghost has a blue-backed card instead of a green one among the suspects, you discard all of the possible suspects from the base game just by that clue.

But you can sleeve them in opaque-backed sleeves and it would solve those issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Steddum
Germany
Homburg
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply, I now see what you mean. I played Mysterium at Essen, so the ghost was using the screen and there was never really an opportunity to see the card backs. Since the Italian second edition is suppose to come with a screen, there shouldn't really be a compatibility issue for my group. (No one's going to intentionally try to see the cards, that would ruin the fun!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.