United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
First Impressions:

My first impression of Love Letter was very positive - quick game, but a very neat idea, and a lot of fun. It was a popular hit for a quick filler in the first few months it was played. A couple of people I introduced it to liked it so much they went out and bought their own copies, and in some cases also extra copies as gifts!

Getting to 100 plays:

December 2012: 7
2013: 60
2014: 21
2015: 12

As you can see Love Letter was very much a one year wonder, with over half of its plays being in that year, as it came out repeatedly, sometimes multiple times in a session/day. More recently it comes out every few weeks, and we play a single game - usually as a ten minute filler while waiting for something to cook in the oven or something like that.

Current Impressions:

Love Letter is still very enjoyable, especially when played with the right group, but there isn't great variety between plays, and so there's no longer a great desire to play repeatedly, but it's a great quick time filler game in the right situation. It also has the bonus of being very easy to explain, so that it's quick to get new players up and running. I have found a few players find it a bit unsatisfying though - especially players who play rather slowly, as then getting knocked out of a hand can bother them - not something I usually find an issue, as rounds are so quick and you're right back in for the next one.

Will there be another 100 plays?

I strongly suspect that at some point my children will discover this game, and then I'll have a huge number of plays of it, and then it'll get it's next 100 plays very quickly. My daughter played it an enjoyed it a few times, but her brothers were too young at the time, and I haven't retried it with them since they've got older.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sa266 wrote:
I strongly suspect that at some point my children will discover this game, and then I'll have a huge number of plays of it, and then it'll get it's next 100 plays very quickly. My daughter played it an enjoyed it a few times, but her brothers were too young at the time, and I haven't retried it with them since they've got older.

I bought this specifically to play with my grandkids - I don't think I've played it more than once or twice with adults only. The two I've played with so far are 8 and 5; they like it enough that after a couple dozen plays I picked up a copy of Love Letter: Batman which we've played the last half dozen times, including just last night. I also snagged a copy of Love Letter which I'll give them as a treat come December.

Having said that, it makes me worry that I'm teaching them bad habits; it would be wiser to teach them the joy of playing a good game repeatedly rather than infecting them with the 'something new' bug. Then again, I guess there are worse fates than being spoiled by your grandpa.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played love letter with adults, and I've played it in excess of 100 times (depending on what you count as a game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goldring
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Winter is coming...
mbmbmbmbmb

sa266 wrote:

First Impressions:

Love Letter is still very enjoyable, especially when played with the right group, but there isn't great variety between plays, and so there's no longer a great desire to play repeatedly...

Have you considered picking up a Lost Legacy variation? I do not own any, but have played a couple of different ones that invigorated my interest.

My first impressions:
The Starship - quite aggressive
Flying Garden - rather peaceful
Second Chronicle - a bit confusing at first (and more applicable to a larger group)

That said, we shelved our copy of Love Letter for a couple of months & began to play it again only recently. That seemed to do the trick, and I think it's back to making a regular appearance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids love Love Letter, and play it quite often. Even just with 2 players they enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is perfect for our group of 3. We have only logged in a little less than 50 plays so far, but we usually just play 1 game per night as the "last game" to finish the night off.

All three of us rate the game a 9.. we always will laugh our butts off at the situations that occur (when a person randomly guesses that another has a certain card right off the bat two or three times in a row, or when you get the dreaded double-baron combo for example).

Not once has there been a time where we played this game without a situation where we all laughed or cried out loud happening.

I guess it does depend on the groups.. for ours, it works great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Nehring
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it is a great warmup game. When my wife and I host game nights we often have friends who are new to gaming. This is a good way to get them in the mood and mindset. It also is a good way to determine what games they will play well.

One friend has a bad habit of going rogue. He will play against the strategies and sportsmanship of a game in order to amuse himself. In Saboteur he acted like a saboteur even though he was not. He felt like he had won the game because he threw off everyone else. Needless to say we won't be playing Dead of Winter with him after one play...where he was the actual betrayer but did nothing to achieve that goal. I feel like a few warmup rounds of short games like Love Letter and Saboteur will help us choose satisfying games for the rest of the night.

I shudder to think what he would do in a game of Betrayal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he just doesn't like you guys/games and is being passive aggressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yit Ng
Malaysia
kuala lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend like this too, the problem is he's not usually invited to game with us but he tries to join in, and when someone relents and allows him back he ends playing against the spirit and screws it up for everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.