Quartermaster General» Forums » General

Subject: Base game and/or expansion the first time you play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you recommend starting with only the ground game and not the expansion, or both, the first time you play the game?
(I have pre-ordered both)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not hard to implement the expansion game to the base, so from a difficulty point of view that should be no trouble. However, if you are playing with only two players, I would recommend playing with the base set only. The Air Marshal expansion adds bolster cards to the pool and many of these cards can be played out of turn. When playing two player you are controlling three different decks and it can be difficult to keep up with, especially when you are not familiar with the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The expansion does add a layer of complexity, albeit modest. I would recommend base game only, unless you are playing with experienced gamers. Just one or two base game plays should suffice before adding the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
The expansion does add a layer of complexity, albeit modest. I would recommend base game only, unless you are playing with experienced gamers. Just one or two base game plays should suffice before adding the expansion.

I agree with Steve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is quite unique, so I would recommend Base Game only to start. It's a great game as it stands and you may as well get to appreciate it with a minimum of rules, rather than add the additional overhead of learning the rules to the expansion.

Be sure to fully understand the difference between the terms "Build" and "Recruit", and between "Battle" and "Eliminate".

Good luck - enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ditto to the three above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thx! Will most certainly be able to gather six gamers (with A&A background etc) to the first session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badmojo wrote:
Thx! Will most certainly be able to gather six gamers (with A&A background etc) to the first session.

That should be fun!

They'll have to adjust to:
1) Much shorter turns.
2) (Very) limited available units.
3) Deterministic actions (as opposed to dice rolling).

A few notes when starting:
1) It's all about the scoring/supply spaces.
2) Don't discard any build armies at the beginning (except maybe USSR).
3) Try to use all cards at their most useful time.
4) Don't forget that you can battle empty spaces to make response and status cards work (Japan often needs this).
5) If you need to, don't be afraid to discard some cards at the end of your turn (but watch your deck size).

If they all have A&A experience, you may want to move to the expansion after the first game, as it gives the opportunity to do more than one thing on each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One more question: The Reallocate resources rule from the expansion - would you use that the first time you play the base game? It seems that it mitigates bad luck with the cards to some extent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
denis sauzedde
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badmojo wrote:
One more question: The Reallocate resources rule from the expansion - would you use that the first time you play the base game?

definitely, YES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badmojo wrote:
One more question: The Reallocate resources rule from the expansion - would you use that the first time you play the base game? It seems that it mitigates bad luck with the cards to some extent.

Yes, maybe, but I usually don't; but it depends on the gamers. Why not - There are players who abuse this rule to their detriment as they don't understand the value of the cards in their hand. Or, they decide there can only be one winning strategy and ignore the possibilities fate has handed them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
badmojo wrote:

I would definitely use this rule the first time you play the base game (and I'll second: play the base game without the expansion a few times first; I mean, like, the expansion isn't super complicated or anything, but there is a definite elegance to just the base game that is a little less smooth with the expansion, and everyone should try out just the base game at first--I think the expansion completely improves the game, but it is a slightly different experience); it is easy, the first few times you play, to look at your hand, see you are missing a vital card (like Japan not having a Build Navy in their opening hand), and feeling stuck from the very start. Yeah, there are probably things they can do that are actually useful, but certainly the first few games when no one really knows what the decks do, being able to ditch 4 cards that seem confusing and not real useful at the time to go get that Build Navy or Build Army that it seems like you need to start moving is very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.