Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I picked up a copy of the original edition for $15 in a recent consignment store. I considered picking up the new edition, but didn't see the need for extra complexity/extra players. My only concern with the original is that it sounds like some of the cards may be unbalanced.

Is it worth it to sleeve the cards and change the Observatory, Mistress of Ceremonies, Maronski Theater, Czar & Carpenter to the values in the new edition? Are they significantly overpowered in the original?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
Please take a look at this thread: The imbalanced cards of the original...broken? annoying? or texture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, they changed the Observatory to "8" instead of "6".

I have no idea about the balance if you change the Mistress, but if one gets it in turn 1, usually the winner is determined. Although if you get the judge in turn 1, probably the same can be said ...

But on the other hand, it's a light Euro, so leaving it as it is, is surely an option meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Berthold wrote:

Perfect! Thanks so much for pointing me here!

After reading everything, I'm tempted to go with the simple "round 1 Mistress/Czar = reshuffle". Sounds like re-pricing those two along with the observatory is probably correct but not necessary.

After the first play I was lukewarm on it. After my play last night, I've moved it to an 8. I'm looking forward to get more plays soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
The think about changing the Observatory to an 8 in the expansion is that it was worth more because the game was a turn longer. OTOH, I dislike the expansion's card that lets you pull a card each turn from the discard pile (Debtor's Prison?) If everyone is careful not to discard anything important, it's okay, but even one player can discard and make it too powerful. I think first round Observatory may be more powerful, if used correctly, than a first round Mistress, and a Judge is nearly as good.

But, no first round Mistress is a reasonable rule.

As with any game with varying powers and a deck not broken into stages, you're going to have lucky and unlucky games. Doing well in unlucky games is part of the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC they changed Observatory to 7 in 2nd Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
IIRC they changed Observatory to 7 in 2nd Edition.
OMG the Observatory is turning into Carcassonne Farmer's scoring rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.