Subject: Let's develop a teaching guide! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nygaard
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally have a firm grasp on all the rules of the game. I also have a tendency to get tangential and rant-y. This can make it harder for new players to follow my rules explanations. Luckily, I've taught the game to pretty experienced players so far, but I need a game plan going forward.

I'd like to work with you, the fine people of BGG, to develop an outline of topics to teach, and the best order in which to introduce them. It'd be nice to come out of this with a document to use when introducing first time players, and one to refresh the rules for 2nd/3rd time players.

So far, this is what I have:
PART ONE: HOW THE GAME FUNCTIONS
Spoiler (click to reveal)
1. Introducing the basic concept of the game, and a brief story of the factions. Here I would show the board, and explain that our goal is to control, either independently or in an alliance with another player, certain parts of the board.
2. Show the dice, explaining that we start every turn by rolling/rerolling them, yatzee-style, to determine what actions will be available to you for the rest of the turn.
3. Explain the faction dice and the recruitment step. This is where alliances keeps creeping up and confusing everything.
4. Explain the Region die, as well as strategic/non-strategic regions. Use this time to go back over the conditions for winning, and emphasize the importance (and restrictions) of movement.
5. Explain the Spice die, and shipping troops. Refer to the faction card as a ship in orbit to help explain the pool/reserve of troops.
6. Explain the Storm, how your dice choices control it, and the importance of it taking place at the end of the turn. I should focus on how it shuts regions down, and skip over its effects on troops and assets until combat is brought up later.

PART TWO: PLAYER INTERACTION
Spoiler (click to reveal)
7. Explain the Kanly die. Show and explain the defensive and offensive 'halves' of the die.
7a. The offensive Kanly faces are a direct way to change board presence, or to earn good will.
7b. The defensive Kanly faces mitigate threats. The Shield & Snooper tokens are explained, as well as faction abilities that effect them (Fremen, Harkonnen, and Bene Geserit cards are referenced).
[b]7c. Explain Thumpers and Shai Halud.

...and this is where I get lost in the weeds. Combat should be next, right? Should I just use a combat example from the rule book or visual rules and walk through a hypothetical turn?
It would make sense to follow combat up with an explanation of alliances, and then repeat the same hypothetical turn, but introduce the Ally phase, with pointed examples of where each side of the alliance gets to make decisions with & without consent. Emphasis should be placed on the length of these alliances, and their power to shift games in unintended directions.

After that, board setup, assets, and the abilities of the available factions.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Suggestions and corrections greatly appreciated. I plan to come out of this with a finished teaching guide and refresher to post in the files section. This could also lead to a good player reference sheet.

I'll be editing this first post as the guide develops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopelesst wrote:

...and this is where I get lost in the weeds. Combat should be next, right?

I would go by the turn sequence, so movement before combat.

You also haven't mentioned faction cards and game setup, and I would probably put both of those before explaining any dice.

Show each faction card in step 1 when explaining factions. Once you're done with faction cards, have everybody pick a faction and then do setup and THEN do your step 2.

That's how I would do it-- YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I explained it and it went pretty well. I did things in this order:
1. Setup the board
2. Goal of the game and I explained the regions.
3. Intro to Dune what is it? what is spice for? (space travel) And this is why we are we fighting over it.
4. Dice These are rolled Yatzee style. I walked through the turn sequence and made a brief comment that we each are different factions.
a. 4 Faction dice: You can ask for an ally if you roll their symbol and you use these dice for you and the ally recruit troops to your card.
b. Kanly: half are to kill troops on the board or half are to protect yourself (skip thumper).
c. Spice die, ship people outside the planet (from the faction card) onto the planet (and you're stuck with a worm, except with a thumper). You can ship to the region Die plus regions you already are, and places your ally is if they accept, and polar sink. Active player's choice
d. Movement Then you can move around people already on the planet to the region die regions(no spice, since they don't need to space travel)
5. Combat None on the polar sink.
6. Assets
7. Factions Last time I let them read through all the faction cards and pass them around and I actually left the room to do a couple other things. Interestingly this helped because they could read, think about things and come up with better questions.
8. Then I came back and answered those questions (I forget what they were now) and we had two pretty good games where they all knew pretty much what to do (and I didn't even win )

Edited errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nygaard
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtompkins wrote:

7. Factions Last time I let them read through all the faction cards and pass them around and I actually left the room to do a couple other things. Interestingly this helped because they could read, think about things and come up with better questions.

I like this idea a lot.

And as to a reference sheet, I'm thinking one side with the turn phases and basic notes for them, and an explanation of alliances on the back (with/without consent chart, who gets the benefits of knot abilities).

Lots of school work today, but an updated outline tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.