Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I find it interesting to read stories about people's losses and how to avoid them when I play a new game. Hopefully this story will help.

So after an almost year long hiatus from one of my favorite games I was able to play again this week.

I have only played with 3 and this time we had 5 so I was in for some serious surprises. Of course after a year of a million new games, I was rusty on the rules and that was my down fall. I was clipping along nicely in the beginning, but didn't realize HOW quick the mid game scoring would come up. I had a full set of grain but didn't realize it wouldnt score until something else was palce dover it. Result: no points scored first round
Second round: I didn't learn how quickly the second scoring round would come around. Despite an amazing hand, I was playing "1" card next turn cards so I moved too slow. Add to that nobody explained that when the last card is taken everyone gets another turn. I thought that the player who drew last ended the game! I ended up playing a different card and scoring even lower than what I would have played if I would have know the rules.
Anyway, I came in second to last despite feeling like I had a good handle on getting like sets. In the end I still love this game despite the extreme frustration about the lack of timing and end game conditons.

Lesson:
1. clarify the rules after you've been away a ling time with a game.
2. With 5, watch the deck and player styles. Play a lot of cards.
3. Don't trade just to trade sometimes. My trades to get my first in griffons(bonus tiles) probably gave the other player a ton of more points.
4. Things don't score until something else is on top of them first round: big mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.