Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Hughes
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I am a new user here on BGG. I have used the site to find board games that i may like for a while now and just recently made an account. I am beginning to have quite the library of games and have been wanting to trade a few that i do not enjoy as much and just had a question. The question is does everyone trade on the site based on the value of the game? The games that i have and want to trade are not very valuable i wouldnt imagine, im just looking for games that i will enjoy regardless of the value.

Also, is there a section that would give me an idea of the values of games so i can try to make fair trades for those who are trading for value? Because I have little to no knowledge of the values of the games since i just play out of enjoyment.

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to BGG! The best way to estimate the actual monetary value of a given game is to look at the completed sales on eBay. Certainly that value is at least a consideration in nearly all trades here, but shipping charges are often a huge factor, and then there are the intangibles like simple desire to have a game that may not be readily available.

Good guidelines to keep in mind are that every trade is an individual transaction and there's no telling what you and a trading partner might work out, and that very frequently folks will be interested to trade two games or more at once in order to reduce the per game shipping expenses.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
everyone values games differently but I think the best starting point is the marketplace. If you looking at a game page you'll see a "marketplace" section, click browse, then you can even see price history which I would suggest.
I try to base my trade values on the most recent handful, remember to check their description because they are occasionally a bundle so the seller just picked a game and priced it for a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Psythe wrote:
The question is does everyone trade on the site based on the value of the game?

No, but most will only trade for an "about equal" game.

Psythe wrote:

Also, is there a section that would give me an idea of the values of games so i can try to make fair trades for those who are trading for value?

The game's page contains ebay listings and for-sale prices from other users

Shipping is the major hurdle to trades - in your case try to get trades with fellow USA-nians
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hughes
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, you have already helped me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there are lots of BGGers who do not respond to trade proposals. Even legitimately fair ones. Be prepared to not hear back from a lot of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hughes
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have noticed that lol. Is there a thread that i can post in so people who are interested can just respond to?

Or i guess just post a new thread in the trade section? Dont want to do anything wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
Also, there are lots of BGGers who do not respond to trade proposals. Even legitimately fair ones. Be prepared to not hear back from a lot of people.

the cold hard unfortunate truth
I do, as other before me have suggested, send a message before the trade proposal giving some detail and asking their interest. I've seen that pay off in a number of ways, gotten better trades, turned some into outright buys rather than trades, and even understood a trade request that one guy sent me that ended up being blank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, always send a private message first to ask about a potential trade. But be prepared for those to go unanswered as well.

If you're feeling adventurous, there's a US-only math trade happening right now, and the deadline isn't until the end of the month:

Leaves Change We Trade 2015 US-Only Math Trade
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/196995/item/4155537#item4...

Math trades are basically giant, online swap meets involving hundreds of users at once. A user can post what they have for trade, pick out things they'd like to receive in trade, and then a program collects the data and matches people up. Here's some more info about what they are and how to get involved: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/93555/math-trade-guide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hughes
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evnzro wrote:
Yes, always send a private message first to ask about a potential trade. But be prepared for those to go unanswered as well.

If you're feeling adventurous, there's a US-only math trade happening right now, and the deadline isn't until the end of the month:

Math trades are basically giant, online swap meets involving hundreds of users at once. A user can post what they have for trade, pick out things they'd like to receive in trade, and then a program collects the data and matches people up. Here's some more info about what they are and how to get involved: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/93555/math-trade-guide

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
evnzro wrote:

I also recommend this math trade for you to trade your games. You have some time to bone up on how it works and get involved. Your first one will be a bit frightening, probably, but there are plenty of people willing to help you through it. You can GM me with specific questions or concerns, if you want, I am happy to answer them all. I was where you are once and I had to just read up, ask questions (like you're doing right now) and dive in.

This guide is my favorite: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v99KKVxLfizTaieRSSfcoWZd...
If you prefer videos, these are good: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/568078/math-trade-video...

You can also ask questions in the discussion thread for this trade and people there are generally happy to help--especially new users:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1438724/leaves-change-w...

Good luck. Welcome to BGG, by the way. A great community.
This Geelist might be useful for navigating and contributing:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/819483/every-gamer-bgg-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Psythe wrote:
Yeah, I have noticed that lol. Is there a thread that i can post in so people who are interested can just respond to?

Or i guess just post a new thread in the trade section? Dont want to do anything wrong.

You're welcome to post a thread in the trade forum

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/13/boardgamegeek/trades

Putting a helpful title (like "H: Yahtzee, W: Monopoly, US only, shipping from Ky") gets bonus points.

As others have said, plenty of trade geekmails go unanswered, so don't take it personally. You'll have a harder row to hoe, being a new user. So it may be worth sticking around, contributing for a while, and waiting a month for your new user badge to go away. You may also consider offering to ship first with some established members, to get some trade feedback, making it easier to trade later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS - You'll want to put your trade condition comments in the Trade condition field, so that if someone proposes a trade, the comments will show in the trade manager. It's okay to leave them in the regular comments field as well, as people who are browsing your collection will see them too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hughes
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
where do i go to add to the condition field?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
You'll have a harder row to hoe, being a new user. So it may be worth sticking around, contributing for a while, and waiting a month for your new user badge to go away. You may also consider offering to ship first with some established members, to get some trade feedback, making it easier to trade later.

These are some good points. I was in the same boat earlier this year trying to trade with people when I had no experience yet (in the eyes of BGG). But a few months ago I did my first math trade and ended up swapping games with three different users, which got my trade rating up pretty quickly, so now I'm "established" in the community.

Math trades can seem very daunting at first, but if you read up on all of the guides and watch the videos (like I did) you'll get the hang of it.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psythe wrote:

If you're looking at your Collection, there should be a link near the top left that says "Columns". Click that and you'll be able to add a Trade Condition column by clicking on the appropriate box.

Or you can go to the game's page and scroll down to the very bottom, where you should see a box for trade condition under 'User Information'. (If it's a game in your collection)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evnzro wrote:
Psythe wrote:

If you're looking at your Collection, there should be a link near the top left that says "Columns". Click that and you'll be able to add a Trade Condition column by clicking on the appropriate box.

Or you can go to the game's page and scroll down to the very bottom, where you should see a box for trade condition under 'User Information'. (If it's a game in your collection)

You can use the links at the top of a game's page (like User Info) to hop to the User Info section, no scrolling, and it will hop to the right place no matter where it is on the page (mine has been moved nearer to the top).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hughes
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hughes
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evnzro wrote:
indigopotter wrote:
You'll have a harder row to hoe, being a new user. So it may be worth sticking around, contributing for a while, and waiting a month for your new user badge to go away. You may also consider offering to ship first with some established members, to get some trade feedback, making it easier to trade later.

These are some good points. I was in the same boat earlier this year trying to trade with people when I had no experience yet (in the eyes of BGG). But a few months ago I did my first math trade and ended up swapping games with three different users, which got my trade rating up pretty quickly, so now I'm "established" in the community.

Math trades can seem very daunting at first, but if you read up on all of the guides and watch the videos (like I did) you'll get the hang of it.

Good luck!

Haha, they do seem daunting. I want to do the math trade that he suggested, but it seems so confusing to me. I read the guide, and now looking at the dummie guide which seems to help, im just afraid i will mess something up haha. But think i will give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
Psythe wrote:
evnzro wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

Good luck!

Haha, they do seem daunting. I want to do the math trade that he suggested, but it seems so confusing to me. I read the guide, and now looking at the dummie guide which seems to help, im just afraid i will mess something up haha. But think i will give it a go.

Math trades are really easy once you get the hang of them. For your first, offer up only one of your games. If you do that, a lot of the confusing elements won't apply. Once you've participated in one math trade and seen how it works, you'll find it much easier to jump into another one with more items.

I took a crack at writing up an introduction a while back: Math Trade Walkthrough/FAQ for newbies

Finally, Spielboy is a very useful tool. It gives the historic pricing data for games in the BGG Marketplace. Since most people prefer to make trades that are roughly equal in value, Spielboy can help you craft appropriate offers and/or counteroffers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hughes
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. Have just completed my first trade and look to be trading a lot more of the games i dont play much. Feel as though i am well on my way. I didnt do the Math Trade though, seemed like a lot and complicated, but i do plan on jumping on board to one of those very soon. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.