Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Wawrzonek
United States
Amsterdam
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Do you want board games?...because that's how you get board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 1 : I couldn’t believe what the old man had said. Only a few miles from here was a vault filled with treasures beyond my wildest dreams. Perhaps with this I could finally gain the fame and fortune I desired. I wandered until I found what looked like an old cave, with some peculiar markings on the outside. It lead into a labyrinth tunnels. After a few hours I found it! The entrance to the Vault! The treasure would be mine! It was then that I discovered after hours of trying that I could not open the vault. The mechanisms on the lock were beyond my understanding. I left the cave disappointed, but resolved to one day return. I needed a change of scenery after being underground for so long so I headed eastward toward the old forest. I had heard rumors that many creatures were known to stash their gold and belongings in caches hidden all around the forest.

I found the vault right away, but without a tremendous chit there was no way to open it.

Day 2: I spend hours searching through this godforsaken forest. I just knew there had to be something of value here. I was all but ready to give up when I found something! Some kind of den that probably used to belong to some very large creature. Hopefully there would be some kind of loot inside. Tomorrow I would find my fortune.

Day 3: I searched the lair for what seemed like hours and found nothing but refuse and bones. My disappointment filled my thoughts...which is why I failed to notice the massive viper pit I had walked into. I had never seen a snake so large! I quickly scrambled out of the pit, and took aim with my crossbow. One perfect shot to the head and it was dead. I decided to leave this place.

I journeyed for a few hours until I made it to the base of the mountains. I had heard rumors of a mystical statue carved into the mountain. Perhaps this could be my claim to fame. As I began to ascend the mountain path I was assaulted by two of the biggest spiders I had ever seen. They moved so fast I could not hit them with my crossbow, but their fangs could not pierce my armor. I managed to scare them off, but I knew they would be back.

At this point SP1 and SP2 were both in the mountains so I decided to go back to the forest. I probably should have stayed in the mountains. wasted a bunch of movement.

Day 4: I decided that rather than continue up the mountain path I would return to the forest from earlier. I hoped that perhaps the spiders would move on if I returned later. Something was still eating at me. I knew I had missed something. I searched further into the forest and came across yet another abandoned lair. Perhaps this one would be more promising. Still I found nothing there, I returned to the base of the mountain and resumed my climb.

Day 5: I decided I needed to move quietly. I journeyed for most of the day without incident...that is until the spiders came back. Again they snuck up on me, apparently I was not as quiet as I had hoped. I screamed at the top of my lungs hoping to intimidate the spiders. What I heard in response was not an echo, but rather a deafening roar. All could hear was the wind being kicked up by the massive dragon’s wings. He was not happy. I knew I had only one chance. I took aim and let my crossbow bolt fly. Direct hit! The bolt penetrated with tremendous force into the dragon's opened eye. It screamed in pain and fury as it crashed to the valley below. The spiders knowing they were outmatched turned tail and ran away. I had a feeling I would be seeing them again.

Ugh. Failed a hide check. FD1 Spawned. Luckily I managed to kill it before it could attack. Too slow to kill the spiders.

Day 6: Today would be better. I could feel it. I climbed higher still looking for the fabled magic statue. I took extra care to keep my steps quiet. I definitely did not want another fight with the damned spiders. Naturally the spiders assaulted me again, and this time they were being chased by two massive bats. As soon as the bats saw me they decided that I looked far more delicious than the spiders. I lined up a perfect shot against the first bat, and let fly. The massive creature smashed against the rocks. Unfortunately I didn’t see the second bat lung in wrapping its massive jaws around my chest. I managed pry the creature off and retreat, but my armor was definitely damaged. Another hit like that and I would be defenseless. Perhaps it was time to head back, the quest for the statue would have to wait.

Argh another failed hide, and naturally it spawned GB1 and GB2. I took out one, but the other damaged my breastplate.

Day 7: I quietly made my way down the mountain, and back into the forest. I found yet another abandoned lair and did another sweep for some treasure. Alas there was nothing.

Day 8: I did one final sweep of the area for treasure, but still found nothing. I made the long trip back to town, hoping that perhaps I could hire some help. Walking into the local tavern I spotted a shady looking figure in the corner. This man looked like someone who knew a thing or 2 about killing. I approached him with 2 drinks in my hand. I asked him if he was interested in making some money. That caught his attention. After drinking for a bit and discussing his fee, Gavin, The Assassin joined me. Hopefully the two of us would be enough to conquer the mountain.

Day 9: I decided before we set out on another adventure that I needed to properly rest. I slept for a good part of the day, and spent the rest haggling with the local shopkeepers. I didn’t end up finding anything I really wanted.

Day 10: After much discussion and some interesting rumors from town. Gavin and I set out to the north. We had heard rumors of an abandoned Dragon horde. The journey took most of the day so we set out. We camped out with no fire as to not attract any monsters. I could swear I heard something quite large in the area as we slept. I hoped it was just my imagination.

Spawned a TL1, but managed to evade him.

Day 11: We began our search yet again. We were sure to keep quiet as to not disturb whatever creature I had heard the night prior. We managed to find a hidden passage to the south. It didn’t lead us to the Hoard, but it did provide us a shortcut to the forest. We continued out search for the rest of the day, and just when we were planning to give up we found it. It was tucked away, not far from the hidden passage. The entrance to the Dragon’s Hoard was upon us. We broke camp for the night, prepared to search tomorrow for our fortune. I could hear creatures moving around at night once again, but we once again evaded them.

Spawned a VP1, but still managed to stay hidden.

Day 12: We approached the hoard the next day. We took care to not make too much noise. No telling if the former resident was still there. As we approached the massive cave, we could hear nothing. Good news it would seem. We searched the huge cave system for hours, but found nothing. Surely there had to be something here. As we journeyed farther in we could hear voices. Goblins lurked ahead. We carefully snuck past the section of the cave and pressed further in. Tomorrow would be the day. I could feel it.

Spawned GB1, and GB2, but still managed to stay hidden. At this point I was getting a bit nervous.

Day 13: With goblins looming close we were careful to make no noise. Suddenly Gavin called a stop. Something had caught his eye. We walked carefully over to the wall. There was a small hidden door in the cave wall. We searched for a few moments and found the secret button that activated the door. The small opening in the wall slid open. Sitting inside was a corpse, wrapped in a cloak. I carefully reached inside and pulled the cloak off of the corpse. Much to my surprise when the cloak touched my hand, it disappeared. We had found some sort of magic cloak, that made its wearer much harder to see. Unfortunately that was all we found that day. We could hear more and more noises as we progressed farther into the caves below. Perhaps it was time to end this quest while we still had our lives.

Finally I found some loot! Cloak of Mist. I will treasure it forever. Nothing spawned.

Day 14: Gavin was insisting that today he would be leaving unless his purse was a bit more full. I assured him that after today we would be rich. It seems out taking was a bit too loud however as we were assaulted by the biggest spider I had ever seen. I quickly took aim and let a bolt fly. It hit the massive creature directly in the head (Snake Eyes!). Green ichor poured out of its head as it fell to the ground. Unfortunately our fighting seemed to have attracted the attention of some other denizens of the cave. I hardly had time to react as the gigantic troll charged, towards me. Luckily Gavin had not left as I had though. He dove onto the creature's back and plunged his dagger into the creature's skull. It screamed in rage and collapsed to the floor. By this point we knew we needed to escape. We ran as fast as we could toward the exit. We were quickly intercepted by the two Goblins we had heard the night before. The first goblin came at me with its crude axe, and landed a very hard hit on my armor. It was definitely shot. Gavin deftly dodged his Goblin, and knocked his down, giving us enough time to escape. We finally reached the exit of the tunnel. We ran as fast as our legs would take us. Luck was not with me this day however as I tripped and fell right into a viper nest. I managed to climb out quickly but not before being bitten a few times. Gavin departed shortly after saying that no amount of money was worth this. After all of these misfortunes I was inclined to agree with him.

And here's where sh*t hit the fan. Failed to hide despite using my new cloak. (If I fail this extra hide check am I still blocked?). a TS1 (Spider)Spawned. It was 5 vs 2. Me vs the Serpent, Goblin, and Spider. The Assassin vs the Troll and other Goblin. Luckily I managed a fantastic first shot with the crossbow, and managed to take out the Giant Spider. The Assassin managed to take out the Troll. The Goblin and Serpent managed to break my armor and get a wound on me, but at least I survived.

Results

Ended up with 5 Victory Points (All from Fame). I have to say this is a very fun solo game. I look forward to trying this with another character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome adventure! All the nail-biting tension you find in a Magic Realm game!

And yes, if you fail the extra Hide action, you still get blocked. And yes, it's just like the Realm to give you a magic hiding cloak, only to have you fail on your extra hide check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story telling meeple
I really should try it shortly shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.