Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised there doesn't already seem to be a thread on this. Any thoughts/info on how easy this will be to play it while keeping the components reusable, for those who would like to play it more than once?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cohen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why wouldn't you just play, you know, Pandemic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GleamingTerrier wrote:
Why wouldn't you just play, you know, Pandemic?

Pandemic doesn't include campaign play.

(Is that a trick question or something? )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could sleeve things and write on the sleeves, I'm not sure how you'd do that with the board itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwjmeijer wrote:
I suppose you could sleeve things and write on the sleeves, I'm not sure how you'd do that with the board itself.

Some type of non-permanent sticker, like Post-it Notes.

There is also some sort of master deck or something (I don't really know), so you would need to record the order of it as you play, so you can restore it afterwards.

There's also an "advent calendar" chart or something. You could always tape it closed, as with the secret envelopes.

I'm not sure it's worth it, but to each his own. Try finding some of the players who did this with Risk Legacy, and see what they did and whether they felt it was worth while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ugh I absolutely believe you're damaging your experience by doing this. Playing a Legacy game is a creative process. Imagine if you were creating a MasterChef dish but you sought to return all the ingredients to the pantry after judging. In Risk Legacy, I sought to end up with a playably "virgin" Risk game after we were done by preserving destroyed cards in a baggie rather than destroying them, etc- it's a waste. Embrace the chaos! The point is to have something unique when you're done, presumably to carry into Season 2.

Split costs and/or I guarantee at least one person in your group will buy a copy to play again later with different choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rhodes
msg tools
badge
Bigger on the Outside
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Surprised there doesn't already seem to be a thread on this. Any thoughts/info on how easy this will be to play it while keeping the components reusable, for those who would like to play it more than once?

I thought about this before we played Risk Legacy. It just wouldn't be worth it. There's is such a visceral you get when you write your name on the board or cause a permanent change, not doing this would be lame.

You're getting at least 12 plays, most likely more from a $60 game. That's $5 a play. That's a hell of a deal. I think you owe it to yourself to mark it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwarvenfriend wrote:
I thought about this before we played Risk Legacy. It just wouldn't be worth it. There's is such a visceral you get when you write your name on the board or cause a permanent change, not doing this would be lame.

You get a thrill out of throwing the game away when you are done and buying a new set of components so you can play again?

Tell you what, if you love spending money that much, just send me money every time you finish a game. You'll have a blast!!

Quote:
You're getting at least 12 plays, most likely more from a $60 game. That's $5 a play. That's a hell of a deal. I think you owe it to yourself to mark it up!

Wow. I figured it was like $30 or so. $60 is really nuts.
I've gotten over a hundred plays of Pandemic. 12 is pretty pathetic.
And if its any good, I'm going to WANT to play more than one campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Surprised there doesn't already seem to be a thread on this.

I'm not surprised. Nobody has it yet! I don't expect we'll get this information until the game is widely available and the people interested in doing it get their hands on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eL Boato
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I'm going to WANT to play more than one campaign.

Me too... I also plan to make it replayable/resettable/reusable.

Here are some hopefully useful links about the HOW for Risk Legacy.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/692717/how-make-it-reusa...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9486670
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13456973

(In those threads it is a bit tiring to read the discussions of WHY, so maybe for Pandemic this could be kept in a separate thread... ).

All the best,
Boato
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goodnuff
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not worth the effort. I thought about doing it with Risk Legacy when it was unavailable but since it is back in print its better to just buy another copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

Actually, there have been a couple discussion about the possibilities, but (as the game isn't out yet) none on details of how you could possibly do so. And the possibility threads are full of legacy enthusiasts telling you you're crazy for not wanting to destroy a perfectly good game, and that the endomorphic rush of destroying cards can't be duplicated anywhere.

Ultimately, whether or not it can actually be done is going to depend on what the components are actually like. There will, of course, be fewer surprises the second time through. And not doing the full board markup routine will make moving on to season 2 a bit of a challenge. Another challenge is going to be the fact that the rulebook has places for stickers— IE, the rules change as the game goes on, and from the sounds of it, some major changes occur. Keeping track of which rules are in play may end up being confusing.

Finally, the MSRP looks to be about $60 in the United States, and you'll get, probably, 16-20 games out of a campaign, depending on when you take losses. (12 months in the game, if you lose the first game in a month you play a second one that month, then move on after that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rhodes
msg tools
badge
Bigger on the Outside
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
dwarvenfriend wrote:

You get a thrill out of throwing the game away when you are done and buying a new set of components so you can play again?

Tell you what, if you love spending money that much, just send me money every time you finish a game. You'll have a blast!!

Quote:

Wow. I figured it was like $30 or so. $60 is really nuts.
I've gotten over a hundred plays of Pandemic. 12 is pretty pathetic.
And if its any good, I'm going to WANT to play more than one campaign.

I'm not going to just throw it out the door once we're done. It is still playable in it's scarred form. At least Risk was, I'm sure so is Pandemic.

$5 for 4 people for 1-2 hours of play doesn't seem anywhere near excessive. I'll probably spend much more on the food that I prepare over the course of the campaign than the game itself. It's what I do, what I like. You sound like a snob for shitting on the way I play my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
And the possibility threads are full of legacy enthusiasts telling you you're crazy for not wanting to destroy a perfectly good game

Yes, silly us for thinking that a really unique game system should be played the way it is intended. If you don't want to actually play a Legacy game, then don't play a Legacy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Xelto wrote:
And the possibility threads are full of legacy enthusiasts telling you you're crazy for not wanting to destroy a perfectly good game

Yes, silly us for thinking that a really unique game system should be played the way it is intended. If you don't want to actually play a Legacy game, then don't play a Legacy game.

To the OP: see? And this is one of the milder examples. Expect more if and when you decide to try to figure out how to make the game resettable.

Quote:
$5 for 4 people for 1-2 hours of play doesn't seem anywhere near excessive. I'll probably spend much more on the food that I prepare over the course of the campaign than the game itself.

This is a quite good argument. Not one I agree with wholeheartedly, but at least it's a good argument. (My price point seems to be about $3 per game... once I found out the campaign went more than 12 games, I became more interested. I'm still not convinced, though.)

Unfortunately, you continued with—

Quote:
It's what I do, what I like. You sound like a snob for shitting on the way I play my game.

And that's been my take almost every time a legacy purist tries to tell me that wanting resettability is up there with torturing kittens and drowning babies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that wanting to reset is the worst thing you can do, it's just that from the perspective of people who play and enjoy the games as written, it looks like those who want to reset are spending extra time/effort/money in order to make the game subjectively worse. It seems silly. But hey, different strokes for different folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
it looks like those who want to reset are spending extra time/effort/money in order to make the game subjectively worse. It seems silly.

I know it's been discussed to death elsewhere, but of course the opposing view is that is even more silly to destroy a game that you have paid for. The view (whether accurate or not) is that the same experience could have been designed into a resettable game. The technology to do it is not that complex.

I know you won't be left with a unique "legacy" if the game could be reset, but I also have no point of comparison for how valuable or interesting such a thing would be. And FWIW I will not be trying to reset my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why everyone would try and convince you not to do it. I will not try to preserve mine but I don't know whynpeople would not want YOU to do it silly. The discussion is worthless, everyone can simply do as they please and be happy. i could only see the conflict if you are in the same group.

I think it is doable. Put some plastic on the board that you can draw on with a sharpie and sleeve the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
If you don't want to actually play a Legacy game, then don't play a Legacy game.

Does it in some way harm you if I decided to buy a copy and make it replayable? Does it undermine the experience YOU are getting out of destroying your cards or whatever you do in this? Can you just not sleep at night knowing that someone else will get to replay Pandemic: Legacy without buying a new copy?

I emphatically do not want to play a legacy game. I very much DO want to play a campaign game.

Unfortunately, campaign games are quite rare.
Campaign co-ops are even rarer.
Campaign co-ops from a solid designer like Matt L. are almost non-existent.

If you would like to point me to all these great alternative campaign co-ops I could be playing instead, I would in all seriousness be absolutely delighted. Really.

I played over a hundred games of Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords, playing through the full campaign three times with different parties, and I fully expect that at some point I'll play through it again. I don't think its all that great a game. The mechanics are kind of weak, the "story" is badly done, and I really wonder what they were thinking about many of the cards. But its a campaign co-op, so I played it eagerly anyway.

I checked out of curiosity and my average number of plays for campaign games is over 60. And that includes stinkers like Myth, which I consider one of the worst games I've ever played and eventually gave up and sold. But I still slogged through half-a-dozen plays first to try to give a shot because hey, its a campaign co-op.

Meanwhile, I've played Pandemic over 100 times. My plays have admittedly dropped off because nowadays we're instead pulling out Pandemic: The Cure, which we're at around 50 plays of.

If you think 12 plays is great for you, well, hey, that's good for you. It doesn't cut it for me. Not even close.

You are free to buy software with restrictive DRM. You can knock yourself out spending a thousand dollars in IAPs to beat hard levels on a game designed for IAP spending. Hell, if you want, you can throw your clothes away and buy new ones because washing them is just too much trouble. I'd even empathize with that one.

However, this thread is about how to play Pandemic: Legacy with the legacy part removed. If you don't want to do that, then don't. But I don't know what you think you gain by telling me I'm not allowed to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
It's not that wanting to reset is the worst thing you can do, it's just that from the perspective of people who play and enjoy the games as written, it looks like those who want to reset are spending extra time/effort/money in order to make the game subjectively worse. It seems silly. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

I've got no issues with the people who tell me that they find it better in legacy format. I have issues with the people who insult me (usually not overtly, but more in an implied way— though not always) because I don't think that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goodnuff
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rubric wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
it looks like those who want to reset are spending extra time/effort/money in order to make the game subjectively worse. It seems silly.

I know it's been discussed to death elsewhere, but of course the opposing view is that is even more silly to destroy a game that you have paid for. The view (whether accurate or not) is that the same experience could have been designed into a resettable game. The technology to do it is not that complex.

I know you won't be left with a unique "legacy" if the game could be reset, but I also have no point of comparison for how valuable or interesting such a thing would be. And FWIW I will not be trying to reset my copy.

Making it resettable lessens the effect of the format. So no, the same experience would absolutely not exist were it resettable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
OP, don't do it. You're destroying the spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

... FOR EVERYONE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

If the game's spirit objects, it can feel free to tell me itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Person A: I am super excited about this new plastic spoon I bought. I will use it every day until it breaks! Any tips on how best to wash it so it will last as long as possible?

Person B: Why? The whole point of plastic spoons is they are disposable and you don't have to wash them. It's super convenient! Plastic spoons are cheap, you can buy boxes of them at a time. I love them for this great quality they have!

Person A: Well what I was wanting was a plastic spoon that I could use repeatedly.

Person B: Oh, well you've made a basic mistake then. What you wanted was a metal spoon. Metal spoons are very durable, and there is no trouble using them more than once.

Person A: No, I promise I wanted a plastic one. The bowl I eat cereal out of is a giant magnet, so I hate using metal spoons. Plus I carry my spoon around with me all the time and the reduced weight of the plastic version is a sweet bonus. Also I have to deal with metal detectors multiple times a day and having a metal spoon is just an extra hassle. Seriously, I know that in many cases metal spoons are fantastic, but I, personally, would enjoy to own a plastic spoon and use it more than once.

Person B: Well you're totally missing the point of plastic spoons.

Person A: I just wanted tips on washing my spoon! crycrycry
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.