Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hi, my name is Garrett, and I suffer from Analysis Paralysis." blush

Joking aside, can someone please address the AP issue as it relates to Gloom? Reading through the rulebook, it does seem like there are a lot of options each turn, and a lot of options makes me nervous. I'm someone who actually LIKES the simplicity of something like Talisman, because the rules/mechanics are SO simple that it allows me to focus simply on adventure and narrative.

Thoughts from those of you who have actually played Gloom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caveat: I have not played, only watched the various videos.

From those, the game looked to AVOID analysis paralysis by giving a limited number of 'possible good routes forward' based on your saga keywords, your rumours in hand, and the cards on the map. Looks as though you are guided towards a few potential routes from which you then choose.

A good balance between railroading and the tyranny of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are definitely a lot of choices to be made in GoK (or Glook as I refer to it; sorry bad insider... whistle) but I never felt that it suffered from a long downtime or AP.

But! You can try to "optimize" your - relatively limited - Action Points as much as possible, so someone could play it a lot faster than someone else... but I guess I would not compare it to a Euro, where you have to think through various outcomes.

But as this game has some random pieces (never knowing which card you will draw, the dice results etc.), personally I tend to "free float" through Kilforth but of course always with my Saga in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksis Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few times no but only with one other player but the game has moved swiftly each time. I'd imagine it will slow down as each player gets closer to their final chapters but you are focused to specific keywords which as mentioned previously should keep the game moving at a decent clip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i felt it was a better talisman better narrative
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There Is certainly more choice than which way around the board do I go or which item or spell do I use that Talisman has.

That said you have a choice to sneak if you worry about the enemy's first attack or keep the AP for something else, you then have a choice of four (usually) locations to move to and your decision will be based on what helps me for my Saga or where can I turn a rumour into a tangible reward.

Those are probably your two main choices at the start of a turn after that it's going to depend on what you encounter and how many AP's you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.