Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Essen Spiel 2015 is getting closer and closer. We will be having a booth 2-D131 with the rest of Arctic Union like in the last few years.

We have prepared quite nice set of Perdition's Mouth for people to try out.
Should we prepare also the "stretch goal" heroes available for testing? Not all of those, but most of those would be available.

Similarly, would you feel that we ought to have all levels available?

Anything else we should be prepared for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
How easy would it be for your quick playtesting sessions to mix it up like this? It might be easiest to just have a very set session ready to play, and all the bonus material could just be on display? Or if a very eager fan shows up, you could allow her to try it, but otherwise, just stick to a set starting point.

I would think this would make it most easy for you, and seems to be what I see in the various Gen Con and other conference videos I've watched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd try to keep some stuff from the players. You don't want too many spoilers for the game, right?
One level should be enough.
The same goes for stretch goal characters. If not all of them are released through the stretch goals (god forbid), backers can get discouraged.
And if it's one thing you don't want in your kickstarter comments it's whining backers. I've seen campaigns fall apart because of too much negativity.
Or perhaps I'm just being boring and envious because I'm not going to Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One strong very demoable level and a set of heroes from the core set. Same thing over and over again. That way people can also compare experiences better.

Maybe there could be some kind of "points" system which grants a small prize for the team that managed to solve the level with least wounds/least rounds of game etc.etc.

Something quite simple that gives people a taste of things to come and to keep them curious. Other stuff on display if there is extra stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, small demo that demonstrates several key features and maybe an 'advanced' level where you start with a bunch of conditions and a little equipment to see what the progress is like.

Keep some things secret, but definitely put on a good showing, lots of eyes and early reports.

Best foot forward and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like we're all on the same page here!
(As others have pointed out.) What's most important is to drum up as much interest for the game as possible. We need loads of backers for the campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
Waves broke in swift lines on the beach, and she walked over the sand toward her friends, in the wind, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you guys changed the name to avoid the confusion that was hinted at earlier. I am super jealous of you essen attendees now!!! This game is high on my must play list after rahdo's run through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Have you listened to our YouTube Podcast "Die Nische" yet? :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that this is not necessary. Maybe make a showcase of SGs possibly achieved during the campaign to fix new backers on.

But a short spot-on demo is enough to get gamers on board.

EDIT: In Rahdo´s Runthrough one can see that it is allowed to choose the monsters that should be spawned. Do you include a rule to randamlony select them because I felt this aspect as very unthematic. The heroes are not the owner of the dungeon, are they? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
I think that this is not necessary. Maybe make a showcase of SGs possibly achieved during the campaign to fix new backers on.

But a short spot-on demo is enough to get gamers on board.

As some of you might know, we've been in Essen Spiel with versions of Perdition's Mouth already on a couple of years, as it's been in making for four years. And last year we had introduction + 1 level and both of those were pretty much constantly occupied. We'll likely do something similar.

Quote:

EDIT: In Rahdo´s Runthrough one can see that it is allowed to choose the monsters that should be spawned. Do you include a rule to randamlony select them because I felt this aspect as very unthematic. The heroes are not the owner of the dungeon, are they? cool

When ever enemies spawn, you select from the scenario dictated pool, which enemies you select. This is a tactical decision. If you choose to have smaller/less powerful enemies at the beginning, the later part of the scenario can be downright deadly when only big enemies appear. So, certainly not randomly.

The amount of enemies to spawn is dictated by the threat level.
But all of these are supposedly getting clearer later today when I'll (finally) will be able to show you working rulebook...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay,

All is packed and we're on our way. I hope to see many of you in Essen.
That is the last chance to test Perdition's Mouth before the kickstarter
that is looming in the near future.

Meet us at 2-D131.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob ter Linden
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eridis wrote:
Okay,

All is packed and we're on our way. I hope to see many of you in Essen.
That is the last chance to test Perdition's Mouth before the kickstarter
that is looming in the near future.

Meet us at 2-D131.

Played it yesterday and I loved it!
I was not aware of this game and it deserves attention.
Played with my a friend, brother and my girlfriend.

We are fans of coop games and this is one of the best.
Keep it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
Good to know that the game is actually as good as I think it will be.
See you on the kickstarter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, really great to hear. Any chance we can get you to do a longer write-up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UBM UBM
Germany
flag msg tools
We had a chance to playtest this in Essen this year. Based on our playtest, I think it's a solid dungeon crawler with a twist (the wheel / rondel mechanic). The only thing I personally didn't like was that heroes block each others movement - at least during our playtest this lead to situations where heroes had nothing to do (take note that this might also be dependend on the map).

Cheers,
sheep2045
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tested it as well and I definitely liked it We got a nice theme and rule introduction, one of the best we had for the games we tested at Essen. The mechanics seem very solid, I especially liked that there is a lot less luck than in most other dungeon crawlers and a lot of strategic/tactical decisions. The wheel and action mechanic is unique and interesting. Each character seems to play quite different and there is a lot of interaction between the players.
We only played a few turns of the first level, but from what I experienced I am pretty confident that I will back the game, when the kickstarter starts.

Sheep2045 wrote:
The only thing I personally didn't like was that heroes block each others movement - at least during our playtest this lead to situations where heroes had nothing to do (take note that this might also be dependend on the map)

We ran into the same problem and blocked one of our heroes for one turn as we forgot about the rule, but I doubt that will be a problem in future plays. Even though one player might not be able to act (s)he can still participate in the discussion what the group should do next and if everybody gets familiar with the game and the rules the players should be able to avoid those situations in my opinion.

So again thanks to Timo and his crew for the fun hour with your game. Hope to see you again next year, when I pick up my copy of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More praise for the game.
That's what I like to hear!
Now I'm really itching for the kickstarter to begin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitarja wrote:
Tested it as well and I definitely liked it We got a nice theme and rule introduction, one of the best we had for the games we tested at Essen.

Thanks. That is a high praise, as there are quite a few presenters.

Quote:
The mechanics seem very solid, I especially liked that there is a lot less luck than in most other dungeon crawlers and a lot of strategic/tactical decisions. The wheel and action mechanic is unique and interesting. Each character seems to play quite different and there is a lot of interaction between the players.

Then we've succeeded, as you listed all the things we aimed to improve in game design phase, compared to competing titles.

Quote:
Sheep2045 wrote:
The only thing I personally didn't like was that heroes block each others movement - at least during our playtest this lead to situations where heroes had nothing to do (take note that this might also be dependend on the map)

We ran into the same problem and blocked one of our heroes for one turn as we forgot about the rule, but I doubt that will be a problem in future plays.

And when you play even a little more, you'll learn how to avoid this sort of situations. And keep in mind: This is one of the many mechanics that keep the game balanced with different Hero amounts. If you play with 3 Heroes, you virtually never have this problem, even theoretically. However, if you're with 6 Heroes, avoiding blocking your friends is harder and takes more communication.

Quote:
So again thanks to Timo and his crew for the fun hour with your game. Hope to see you again next year, when I pick up my copy of the game

Great. Kickstarter is beginning on 11.11.2015. Let's aim to have stellar start for the campaign. We have cool stuff waiting for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eridis wrote:
Kitarja wrote:
The mechanics seem very solid, I especially liked that there is a lot less luck than in most other dungeon crawlers and a lot of strategic/tactical decisions. The wheel and action mechanic is unique and interesting. Each character seems to play quite different and there is a lot of interaction between the players.

Then we've succeeded, as you listed all the things we aimed to improve in game design phase, compared to competing titles.

Glad to hear that

Quote:
Great. Kickstarter is beginning on 11.11.2015. Let's aim to have stellar start for the campaign. We have cool stuff waiting for you.

Can't wait for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.