Popular Tags: [View All]
Soren
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I still can't figure out is this mysterious, handwritten-looking card I found in the deck near the end of the game marked "Conference 11: Orlando, Florida"--it seems to give the U.S. 8 offensive markers in the west due to an event called "Cuba to the rescue." Paul, you wouldn't know anything about this...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roosevelt's smooth talking convinced me that if I got him into Normandy, then my load would be easier. Had I consulted with my staff first, I would have learned that the Soviet War Machine is a monster. Every conference I had plenty of Offensive Support to beat up on the Germans, had I realized it.

As you can see (If you can figure out my abbreviations) that USSR is the best at protecting it's production (6 pluses) and gaining Offensive Support markers (6 chances). Roosevelt is best at taking other's Directed Offensives and Pol-Mil events (6 pluses on both!). Churchill is better as asking for command of the Theater Leadership (4 vs 3 for the Americans) but is pretty balanced over all.

Despite the limitations of the Joseph's enhancements (only 16 vs 24 for Winston and 31 for Franklin), I felt like I was able to concentrate on getting the offensives when I wanted and needed them. I also got several shots at the A-Bomb, but was hurt when Stalin was taken out of the last conference and the USA took the issue away from me. Instead I concentrated on Directed Offensives, and as it turned out, that was the right call.

The last turn saw the USA and UK way ahead of the Soviets. We had to choose between a sure 2 points for advanced near Germany and a possible 5 for blitzing to East Germany VS a sure 0 points for moving against Japan but a possible 8 points for blitzing into Korea. After some long hard thinking and cajoling by the others, I opted for the risky play. The first roll was cocked! The 2nd roll came up an 8! Victory was mine, though I had no idea at the moment. The best part was when Paul convinced me to place a clear disc in Malaya (or one of the colonies) instead of blowing up one of Churchill's (or USA's) discs in Europe. I stole the 2 points from the UK, but didn't get anything for it, as it is not a country.

My recollection of the points were 33 USA 32 CCCP 31 UK.....and then because of Situation 3, the USA lost 5 and the CCCP won 32 to 31 to 28. :-)

Worst was that I screwed up the last conference and forgot that I had debated....so I didn't pass. I was going to steal the global issue from USA and end with 10 points....but instead I lost it and UK stole 5 points from me.

It was an exciting game, though we all agreed that the Campaign games is better because you can have more freedom to do what you want to do when you want to do it.....as opposed to the Tournament version in which your actions are more limited.

In two (alternate?) times, we still have yet to defeat the Axis. That, theoretically, is our main goal for the next match!!! So sayth one, so sayth all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play last night a tournament scenario, ended in a dead heat 43 point condition 1 tie. US won on final tiebreak due to A bomb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.