BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help me decide my next purchase please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Looking to pick up a new game, and was hoping for advice.

Here is what I am looking at:

Kingsburg is this worth getting since I already have Yedo, Lords of Waterdeep and Castles of Burgundy?

Run, Fight, or Die! , the only "zombie" game I have that I can think of is Dead of Winter, so this might fill a nice gap.

Elder Sign , but I already have Arkham Horror and Eldrich. Can you ever have too much C'thulu?

Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game , I don't think I have anything in this same vein, maybe Legendary but that's a stretch.

Drakon (fourth edition), but is it worth getting since I own DungeonQuest? They seem very similar...

Shadowrun: Crossfire since I enjoy the Pathfinder card game, it seems similar.

Tikal classic that is missing from my collection, along with Catan

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only games on your list that I have played are Catan and Tikal and I recommend both highly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg aside from being worker placement has little in common with lords of water deep. Despite having dice,c it is certainly nothing like castles either (all they have in common is dice, castles is a set collection game).

Catan can easily be skipped, imo, it had its time but being free of its dice like chains is liberating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal jumps out at me as an outlier on that list. It's great. caftan is great too. The rest are not my style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jenkins
msg tools
badge
Me neither.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign has a lot of flexibility as far as supporting multiple players at various difficulty levels. It supports solitaire play too if that's something you care about. It plays pretty quickly as well once you get the hang of it. Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Kingsburg really adds anything that you don't already have.

Run, Fight, or Die! is as you probably know, a light push-your-luck dice roller, so if you don't have one it's really good as far as those games go. Not much player interaction beyond a few "take that!" moments. It does the zombie tropes well, so you could get this and never need another zombie-themed game again.

Elder Sign I liked but it rarely makes it to the table these days. Again, not much interaction, runs very long and has lots of fiddly components for what it is, and is often way too easy. The Streets of Arkham expansion however really changes it up, increases interaction and is quite a challenge. But ultimately the phone app version blows all of it out of the water.

Can't speak to the others, but I'll bet if you like Pathfinder, you'll love Shadowrun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.