Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Blocks in Afrika» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Danzig to Hell Campaign w/ Navy - Fall of France pt2, Allies May 1940 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May 1940 – Allies Strategic Warfare

First order of business, I realized that taking Raeder out of play at this juncture means giving up on any chance of launching an invasion of Great Britain. While I don't want to give anything away, I'm not actually going to try that in this campaign. However, among other things I'm trying to learn how this might work against a human opponent, so I'm going to continue to play as if Seelowe is a possibility, in case I ever get to play this beauty against human beings.

So Raeder still in command, Germany bought 1 SS step, and almost went for one long dreamed of green CA step to make one of their CA units a 5 steppers. Instead they bought 2 DD steps and a yellow CA step. Back to the action!

Strategic war in the NA Convoy Box:

Germany has:

2BB, 4DD, 3SS, 2SS, 2SS

UK has:
1CV, 2BB, 3CA, 4DD

GE has:

2BB, 4DD, 3SS, 2SS, 2SS

The Indomitable manages to run afoul of German AA guns, rolling a 1 and losing a step. UK DD's deal out 2 hits, one of which is shrugged off for Tech advantage, the other applied to the German DD's. The German DD's score their side's only hit, lowering the British DD's a step.

One hit on the convoys costs UK 2 YPP.

Strategic Bombing:

Quote:
”HOW COULD YOU ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN TO ME?!?!?” Goering had been railing on like this for nearly an hour, to one staff officer after another. It was simply Ludwig's turn on the rack. “Thanks to your incompetence, I must tell our Fuhrer that we have failed him! And I promise you, young Ludwig, if I incur his wrath, you shall find yourself manning a winter outpost in Norway!” Ludwig saluted and left, shaking his head. Perhaps if the rotund Reichsmarshal had no neglected building true heavy bombers, or if he had secured enough forward air bases, the attacks wouldn't have failed to destroy the enemy logistics. Now the British army might well escape. Ludwig couldn't understand why that would matter, now or later, the British Empire was certain to fall.

Germany now turned its attention to trapping the British BEF on the continent. Only able to send 6 air units, and with bomber fleets somewhat depleted, they would have to be accurate. They sent one bomber to attack the port of Antwerp, where the 2 step 1BEF waited for evac. They sent two others to bomb rail stations. The other BEF were not situated in ports. If the British can be prevented from using SRM to move them out of harm's way, they could be dealt with in June.

French fighters reacted, and in Antwerp rolled 6,6,6,6 in air-to-air!!!! Germans responded with three hits, but still! The three remaining bomber steps over Antwerp 0 hits, the 1BEF escapes!

One attack on rail capacity succeeded, but only 1. A second BEF unit could be safely SR'd to a channel port, and evacuated. German bombers lost 3 white steps total.

Quote:
The French President paced nervously. The damned British, withdrawing 2/3 of their vaunted BEF! What good were those troops if they wouldn't fight? At least he had bullied Churchill into committing 1/3 of his available troops to the plan. The plan was what made him nervous. Most of his generals advocated pulling back, forming a defensive line as deeply as possible around Paris. But one General, a Dutch general who had survived the German invasion of his own country, called for a different path. 'Attack is the best defense!' General Raoul had thundered. For some reason, Gamelin decided to take this general's advice over those of his own countrymen. There was a small German salient just west of the Ardennes. German forces manning its flanks were thin and lacked proper artillery support. The French Air Force had just enough planes to support one counter attack. Perhaps they could slow the Germans just enough to convince the British to stay on the continent and fight?

France has 2 full strength armor units, two full strength artillery units, 1 full strength infantry unit and the services of one of the BEF 5 step infantry. Rather than pull back into poor defensive terrain and let the Germans choose where to send their Schwerpunkt, they decided to attack. The BEF and one armor drove hard into Namur, meeting two full strength panzer armies supported by a mere 1 step of artillery. To this attack they committed their only full strength fighter and one of their 4 step bombers. In Bastogne, a lone German 4-step infantry held the line. French infantry, armor and artillery crashed into that position, and their succeeded in an air recon roll! Their massive artillery would have a chance to prove itself.

Although German fighters and bombers reacted to each combat, the German bomber force was depleted already. In Bastogne the French eliminated the German infantry! In Namur it was a bitter fight, with the Germans losing two steps of panzers before the BEF at 2 steps withdrew, leaving the French armor to fight on alone. France lost that fight and failed to pinch off the most forward German forces in Sedan from supply, but they cost the Germans 4 fighter and 2 bomber steps, 4 of those being white steps, and 2 panzer steps + the eliminated infantry unit.

Paris is exposed now, but Germany must spend many PP to re-equip its HQ's and the Luftwaffe, will they be able to afford re-fitting their armor units for the drive on Paris?

The British 6 step BEF sea transported back to the home island, while the remaining 5 step unit SR'd to Le Havre then sea transported back across the Channel. If the British can save the blue step on their remaining BEF unit, they will get out of this fight in pretty good shape.

I realized as I typed this write up that using the French armor in this offensive was a poor choice, as their OF is the same as their infantry. I could have saved the French some PP's and given them a bit more fight, but in any event I believe their end is very near.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
preston smith
United States
Russellville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Should have listened to his French Generals. It took me a couple months to get the French to throw in the towel.whistle

You can never trust the BEF.cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeeKenny GeeKenny
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="fatgreta"]May 1940 – Allies Strategic Warfare

First order of business, I realized that taking Raeder out of play at this juncture means giving up on any chance of launching an invasion of Great Britain. While I don't want to give anything away, I'm not actually going to try that in this campaign. However, among other things I'm trying to learn how this might work against a human opponent, so I'm going to continue to play as if Seelowe is a possibility, in case I ever get to play this beauty against human beings.

So Raeder still in command, Germany bought 1 SS step, and almost went for one long dreamed of green CA step to make one of their CA units a 5 steppers. Instead they bought 2 DD steps and a yellow CA step. Back to the action!

Strategic war in the NA Convoy Box:

Germany has:

2BB, 4DD, 3SS, 2SS, 2SS

UK has:
1CV, 2BB, 3CA, 4DD

GE has:

2BB, 4DD, 3SS, 2SS, 2SS

The Indomitable manages to run afoul of German AA guns, rolling a 1 and losing a step. UK DD's deal out 2 hits, one of which is shrugged off for Tech advantage, the other applied to the German DD's. The German DD's score their side's only hit, lowering the British DD's a step.

One hit on the convoys costs UK 2 YPP.

Strategic Bombing:

Quote:
”HOW COULD YOU ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN TO ME?!?!?” Goering had been railing on like this for nearly an hour, to one staff officer after another. It was simply Ludwig's turn on the rack. “Thanks to your incompetence, I must tell our Fuhrer that we have failed him! And I promise you, young Ludwig, if I incur his wrath, you shall find yourself manning a winter outpost in Norway!” Ludwig saluted and left, shaking his head. Perhaps if the rotund Reichsmarshal had no neglected building true heavy bombers, or if he had secured enough forward air bases, the attacks wouldn't have failed to destroy the enemy logistics. Now the British army might well escape. Ludwig couldn't understand why that would matter, now or later, the British Empire was certain to fall.

Germany now turned its attention to trapping the British BEF on the continent. Only able to send 6 air units, and with bomber fleets somewhat depleted, they would have to be accurate. They sent one bomber to attack the port of Antwerp, where the 2 step 1BEF waited for evac. They sent two others to bomb rail stations. The other BEF were not situated in ports. If the British can be prevented from using SRM to move them out of harm's way, they could be dealt with in June.

French fighters reacted, and in Antwerp rolled 6,6,6,6 in air-to-air!!!! Germans responded with three hits, but still! The three remaining bomber steps over Antwerp 0 hits, the 1BEF escapes!

One attack on rail capacity succeeded, but only 1. A second BEF unit could be safely SR'd to a channel port, and evacuated. German bombers lost 3 white steps total.

Quote:
The French President paced nervously. The damned British, withdrawing 2/3 of their vaunted BEF! What good were those troops if they wouldn't fight? At least he had bullied Churchill into committing 1/3 of his available troops to the plan. The plan was what made him nervous. Most of his generals advocated pulling back, forming a defensive line as deeply as possible around Paris. But one General, a Dutch general who had survived the German invasion of his own country, called for a different path. 'Attack is the best defense!' General Raoul had thundered. For some reason, Gamelin decided to take this general's advice over those of his own countrymen. There was a small German salient just west of the Ardennes. German forces manning its flanks were thin and lacked proper artillery support. The French Air Force had just enough planes to support one counter attack. Perhaps they could slow the Germans just enough to convince the British to stay on the continent and fight?

France has 2 full strength armor units, two full strength artillery units, 1 full strength infantry unit and the services of one of the BEF 5 step infantry. Rather than pull back into poor defensive terrain and let the Germans choose where to send their Schwerpunkt, they decided to attack. The BEF and one armor drove hard into Namur, meeting two full strength panzer armies supported by a mere 1 step of artillery. To this attack they committed their only full strength fighter and one of their 4 step bombers. In Bastogne, a lone German 4-step infantry held the line. French infantry, armor and artillery crashed into that position, and their succeeded in an air recon roll! Their massive artillery would have a chance to prove itself.

Although German fighters and bombers reacted to each combat, the German bomber force was depleted already. In Bastogne the French eliminated the German infantry! In Namur it was a bitter fight, with the Germans losing two steps of panzers before the BEF at 2 steps withdrew, leaving the French armor to fight on alone. France lost that fight and failed to pinch off the most forward German forces in Sedan from supply, but they cost the Germans 4 fighter and 2 bomber steps, 4 of those being white steps, and 2 panzer steps + the eliminated infantry unit.

Paris is exposed now, but Germany must spend many PP to re-equip its HQ's and the Luftwaffe, will they be able to afford re-fitting their armor units for the drive on Paris?

The British 6 step BEF sea transported back to the home island, while the remaining 5 step unit SR'd to Le Havre then sea transported back across the Channel. If the British can save the blue step on their remaining BEF unit, they will get out of this fight in pretty good shape.

I realized as I typed this write up that using the French armor in this offensive was a poor choice, as their OF is the same as their infantry. I could have saved the French some PP's and given them a bit more fight, but in any event I believe their end is very near.

Chris,

Raoul and I played Fall Gelb many times, regarding French Strategy:

1) Fully build units (inf/art) in the Maginot Line
2) Build/deploy infantry around Paris, 3-4 rows deep.
3) Secure the ports for UK-supply

Wait for the Germans to attack, an unexperienced player will almost try to blitz/exploit, THEN attack his armor units, and withdraw the units from the Maginot Line.
With this example you can easily last for a couple of turns, slowing the axis forces. In our last play we almost eliminated all german armor, because of trying the famous sickle-cut. The Allies almost win.

BUT when you have an experienced German player he will not exploit and blitz with his armor, so in both ways it will Always take a few turns to capture France.

gr,
Kenny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
Kenny,

If the Maginot hexes are each completely filled with 2GU and 1 artillery a piece, there is very little left over to cover the rest of France, especially west of the Maginot Line.

A German counterstrategy would be...

German armor to Verdun. That's a given.

German armor to Chaumont. That can be done with air support.

Empty the hex SW of Chaumont through bombing.

Air Assault into the hex west of Mulhouse.

That would put every unit in the Maginot Line OOS and force the French to divert whatever they have to the South in order to clear out the Para unit.

This is why I don't think filling up the Maginot Line to capacity is optimal. If the French deploy so that it is apparent that they want to use the Maginot forces en masse in a counterattack, the Germans can just forestall a concerted push westward until the second month and focus on gaining temporary control in the south.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeeKenny GeeKenny
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grogers64 wrote:
Kenny,

If the Maginot hexes are each completely filled with 2GU and 1 artillery a piece, there is very little left over to cover the rest of France, especially west of the Maginot Line.

A German counterstrategy would be...

German armor to Verdun. That's a given.

German armor to Chaumont. That can be done with air support.

Empty the hex SW of Chaumont through bombing.

Air Assault into the hex west of Mulhouse.

That would put every unit in the Maginot Line OOS and force the French to divert whatever they have to the South in order to clear out the Para unit.

This is why I don't think filling up the Maginot Line to capacity is optimal. If the French deploy so that it is apparent that they want to use the Maginot forces en masse in a counterattack, the Germans can just forestall a concerted push westward until the second month and focus on gaining temporary control in the south.

Hello Greg,

Believe me, we tryed EVERY option, this is simply the best one, you can't put the complete maginot line out of supply. You have enough blocks to make rows around Paris.

And solely hexes of german armor units can easily be attacked by the French/UK.

I think we tried Fall Gelb a dozen of times with 20-30 different German Strategies. You can't take France in a smooth way (1-2 turns).

BUT If my memory is good, as the Germans you should also attack Yugoslavia in these turns and after Greece with a combined Italian attack. you will need armor for this.
You must ATTACK EARLY because you want to prevent the Wilson-force from entering the game.
Then after the Greece attack, Crete and put Stuka's/bombers here.

With no Wilson-force and the UK-navy cripled at the end of 1940, you can finish the Afrika job with the axis in 1941.

To summarize as the Axis don't look only to Paris but also to Yugoslavia and Greece especially when the Italians enter the war.

gr,
Kenny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
I think that Fall Gelb is a bit of a bluff for both sides. The Germans can focus everything on trying to Blitz into Paris in the second month and force the Allies to decide in the Victory Phase at the end of the first month whether to throw out the Armistice.

You're right about the Maginot Line hexes. I forgot about the ZOC rule across a river. Colmar and Mulhouse would still be in supply although the movement of those units would be rather limited.

If the Germans wanted to do that, one para unit has to be committed. Two bomber units have to be used to ensure that the hex SW of Chaumont is clear of any units that may be in it and that it can not be used as a retreat path by any French units. German armor can normally get to Verdun and Chaumont. This means that there will not be a concerted push toward Paris at all. The secondary push will be through Belgium and the Netherlands to take them out of the way. This leaves the BEF to do whatever it wants...but the whole goal of Fall Gelb for the Allies is to get the BEF off of the continent (and, admittedly, cause as many German losses as possible). Having the BEF stick around to fight the Germans near Paris is not a good way to get both things accomplished.

In general, however, if the whole thing turns out to be a slugfest, the Germans will not take France in two months. If French armor and artillery, as well as Gamelin, remain in Paris in the second month, they have the ability to seriously hinder any attempts by German bombers to assist in a Blitz attack by the Germans into Paris. But Germany will certainly take Paris in the third month (with no Armistice restrictions). It is up to the Allies to decide if Paris - and France - falls in the second month through the Armistice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.