Eric Weinstein
United States
Sausalito
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to getting this game for my group and was really excited to play Balazar but seeing how important Padrig is makes me wary to play him because of the banish/removal rule. So if Padrig is banished, is it the end for dear old Balazar? Should one just start a new character? Thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AncientManBeast wrote:
Looking forward to getting this game for my group and was really excited to play Balazar but seeing how important Padrig is makes me wary to play him because of the banish/removal rule. So if Padrig is banished, is it the end for dear old Balazar? Should one just start a new character? Thanks...

Yes, Balazar is virtually useless without Padrig. However, Padrig is played in such a way that he gets displayed and stays displayed for the whole entire scenario. So displaying Padrig should be the first thing you do on the first turn in a scenario, whether it is your turn or someone else's turn. That should keep Padrig safe and sound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Weinstein
United States
Sausalito
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aha, have played rotl and s&s and never realized displayed cards are not part of your hand. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Significantly handicapped.

Here's hoping for a steady-stream of attack spells to one-shot each scenario.

But as Hawkmoon says, if he gets banished you have done something seriously wrong to displease the card-gods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erv Walter
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
ervwalter is my new bgg account
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, there is not really a situation where Padrig would get banished.

But if he did somehow get banished, wouldn't you just re-add him to your deck and the end of the scenario (assuming you survived) when you rebuild your deck since Balazar's card list includes him? Similar to how you pull a basic spell from the box if you don't have enough spells available to rebuild your deck for whatever reason, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edwalter wrote:
As others have said, there is not really a situation where Padrig would get banished.

But if he did somehow get banished, wouldn't you just re-add him to your deck and the end of the scenario (assuming you survived) when you rebuild your deck since Balazar's card list includes him? Similar to how you pull a basic spell from the box if you don't have enough spells available to rebuild your deck for whatever reason, etc.

You would, except the rules say banished cohorts are removed from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has completed adventure 4 and Padrig has never been threatened with banishment. The only way I could see that happening is if the player kept Padrig in his hand instead of displaying it right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erv Walter
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
ervwalter is my new bgg account
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:

Ah, thanks! I missed that part and just learned something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Abercrombie
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
It's been confusion from the word go!
mbmbmbmbmb
edwalter wrote:
269Hawkmoon wrote:

Ah, thanks! I missed that part and just learned something.

Hehe, yeah we lost the Bard cohort forever for rolling a one on the check that's required after using her, and she's banished on the roll of a 1. That roll was part of a series checks in which 5xd12's were used resulting in rolls of 1,2,1,1,1. There were some d4's and d8's in the mix that came up 1 as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Mundane wrote:
Our group has completed adventure 4 and Padrig has never been threatened with banishment. The only way I could see that happening is if the player kept Padrig in his hand instead of displaying it right away.

Assuming this is done I can't think of a way it could happen. Can anyone conceive of how you could lose Padrig if he is displayed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Velusion wrote:
Mundane wrote:

Assuming this is done I can't think of a way it could happen. Can anyone conceive of how you could lose Padrig if he is displayed?

A cat attacks the table, grabs the card in his teeth, and buries it in his litter box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note, not sure why Padrig even exists. His ability really should have been Balazar's ability, and don't give him a Cohort (or make the Cohort something you play with by Displaying, and then either Recharge or Discard to trigger an ability).

The other 3 "owned" Cohorts are interesting to play with and they feel like they're doing things. Leryn can Reveal a card when you Display it, so you really want to try and Display it every turn, and to do so you either shuffle into your deck to get a bonus during an attack, or you keep a card at the end of your turn to Recharge so you can grab Leryn back.

Padrig is simply an extra ability slot on Balazar's card (and the most useful one...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:
Padrig is simply an extra ability slot on Balazar's card (and the most useful one...)

Maybe a recharge or shuffle to explore ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.