Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of us drive. If you drive, you've no doubt been frustrated by things that happen on the road. Other drivers, stupid traffic lights, and so on.

This thread is to vent your frustrations. Talk about what you hate on the road. Maybe tell a story about some stupid stuff that happened to you while driving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are re-doing a fairly major intersection near my house. Two fairly large roads intersect less than a quarter mile from a freeway interchange and there are bridges involved (both over the freeway, one by the interchange and one on the intersecting road). So they can't increase the lanes across the bridge, but are widening the road on the intersection side of both roads as well as through the intersection. As a result, people are still learning the traffic patterns, so it takes several light cycles (three or four cars per cycle) to turn left (which I have to do to get to the freeway). Today, there was the added attraction of a two car collision, apparently as someone tried to turn between the left turn lane line into a parking lot. Fortunately, I usually go straight to my gym and avoid the left turn lane and go through a little earlier than today (after teleconference from home before heading to office).

(Note, this intersection follows turning left from my sub onto one of these roads to drop my kid at school [saves him a half hour vs the bus], dealing with the parents of precious little flowers [seriously, high schoolers can't walk a couple car lengths, but need to be dropped off right in front of the doors?])

That and people that are too important to merge early, but instead rush to the end in the empty (of people that give a damn) and then crowd in causing traffic that already merged to come to a stop.

Glad I am a perfect driver.... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's legal to drop them two car-lengths away. You'll lose your kids pulling that sort of thing.

So a grant just went through to replace our sewer system in my town, and they're tearing up roads left and right, all over the place, and it's difficult to get anywhere because they are closing roads instead of partially closing roads. On top of that they decided to repave the road that was my access out while the other road out is closed. Nice decision making. At least that was only a couple days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Parking Frustrations
Eight days ago, while I was parked in a lot to get my annual resupply of New Mexico green chiles, I had the pleasure of watching a man who worked there back his van's right rear bumper into the driver's side bumper and down the front quarter panel of my RAV4. In addition to the crumpled fender and torn-up alloy wheel, the door now creaks and groans ominously when I open it.

At least he was insured!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
A lot of us drive. If you drive, you've no doubt been frustrated by things that happen on the road. Other drivers, stupid traffic lights, and so on.

This thread is to vent your frustrations. Talk about what you hate on the road. Maybe tell a story about some stupid stuff that happened to you while driving.

You have no idea what you've just uncorked.

I'll go scream into a pillow for a few minutes first to try to clear out all the minor stuff.

0) Hang up your g**dam cell phones, you self-obsessed, narcissistic pricks. You are going to KILL US ALL. Ever day I see people texting, dialing, arguing on their cell phones, etc., and missing entire cycles of traffic lights, running stop signs, merging onto the freeway like a concussed chimp in a go-cart, etc.

1) Use your g**dam turn signals, you selfish idiots. Not only do we want to know, we NEED to know that you are going to try to turn into that shopping center from the non-turn lane.

2) Accelerate on the g**dam on-ramps to the freeway, you selfish idiots. The speed limit is 65mph around here. If you insist on merging at 45 you are going to KILL US ALL when that cement truck boxes us out and then the gravel truck behind us plows into us when you slam on the brakes.

3) Don't brake until your car is off the g**dam freeway, you selfish idiots. Slowing down to 45mph before you are even on the off-ramp will NOT help you negotiate that slight turn a quarter of a mile away, but you WILL back up traffic on this relatively steep hill for the next ten minutes.

4) Learn to give-gap-take-gap at a g**dam lane merge, you selfish idiots. We could all continue at the speed limit, with almost no perceptible slowdown, if you didn't think you had to tailgate the person ahead of you to prevent anyone from "winning." Congratulations, YOU just got to the ATM .23 seconds faster, and everyone else wants to burn your house to the ground with your car locked in the garage.

I have, literally, about a hundred more of these, but these are definitely the top 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
When approaching the corkscrew jump everybody knows we have to hit precisely 78.2 mph in order to both stick to the underside via centripetal force and clear the intersection via the jump—this is no time to text "lol i shartd" or whatever it is you kids do—put the goddamn phone down and do like the sign says: BANG IT!!!

I'm sick and tired of getting my roll cage crimped. And listening to the people in the car I just crushed cry. Jaws of life in ten minutes, morons!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hate...

...when someone cuts you off and then slows down, or when they cut you off and then immediately merged into another lane.

...when someone speeds up to get in front of you right before a red light.

...when someone doesn't use their turn signal.

...school zones, but I REALLY hate when people slow to a crawl 100+ feet before the school zone. Like it's bad enough we have to slow down IN the school zone.

...when you pull up to a 4-way stop, and the person who got there before you expects you to go before them. Like I don't mind, but you have the right of way.

...when you pull up to a 4-way stop where other people already are, and one person goes, and then it's your turn, but some other f***er who was behind the other person goes.

...when my dad leaves the windows to his truck down ALL THE TIME, and then it rains and the seats get moldy and mildewy and bugs start living in there. This one probably doesn't apply to most people.

...when someone goes way under the speed limit (like 30 in a 45 zone) for no other reason than to piss you off.

I take this one road to school. It's a 2-lane road, and eventually the two lanes merge, and people will speed up, or stay right next to you all the way up to the merge point. So I have to slow down and adjust my speed so I'm not next to someone while we're merging. And these people live in Florida, it's not like this is anything new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
If people are passing you on the right on the highway, you are in the wrong lane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:

...when someone goes way under the speed limit (like 30 in a 45 zone) for no other reason than to piss you off.

I do this when someone is tailgating. Maybe not 30 in a 45, but 40 in a 45 which is 10 under normal flow.

I'll add that I don't like tailgaters. Especially trucks or SUV's whose lights even when not on bright are right in my mirror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No-one seems to indicate any more. That's something that drives me mental.

Also, if I pull in down a narrow or car-lined road to let a car go past from the other direction it annoys me hugely if they don't give the old thank you wave.

Both these things involve me then kicking into an in-car running commentary about what they've done.

People not dipping their lights when they're behind me, therefore blinding me when I try to look through my rearview mirror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mb
When people left turn out of a parking lot or side street into the center turn lane. And then they make it worse by driving in the turn lane and trying to merge. Drives me nuts.

+1 on the texting and driving. I appreciate the aggressive commercials they're started to put out about it, though it won't do any good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:

Also, if I pull in down a narrow or car-lined road to let a car go past from the other direction it annoys me hugely if they don't give the old thank you wave.

Both these things involve me then kicking into an in-car running commentary about what they've done.

People not dipping their lights when they're behind me, therefore blinding me when I try to look through my rearview mirror.

There should be a small protruding handle-thing on your mirror to flip it back and cut the glare/light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
0) Hang up your g**dam cell phones, you self-obsessed, narcissistic pricks. You are going to KILL US ALL.

I got rear-ended last summer by a chick who was texting while driving. With three of my four kids in the car. (Thankfully the baby was at home with my wife. He was only about six weeks old at the time.) She hit me hard enough to deploy her airbag. (Or, as she put it, "Just a tap!")

Her brother-in-law arrived and tried to talk me into not calling the cops, telling me he'd take care of the damages because he works for a body shop. I politely declined.

The reason is that when the cops showed up, I found that she was driving while uninsured.

She creased the back end of the tailgate in my wife's car. The kids were fine. Total damage was $1100, which my insurance company was nice enough to pick up. (Or, rather to say: I am now grateful for all the years I've paid for uninsured motorist coverage.)

I have been in heavy traffic on the freeway and have been tempted, now and again, to stomp on my brakes, get out of the car, and berate the person behind me TO PUT AWAY THE FUCKING PHONE. I have not given in to the temptation.

Yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmayDET wrote:
When people left turn out of a parking lot or side street into the center turn lane. And then they make it worse by driving in the turn lane and trying to merge. Drives me nuts.

+1 on the texting and driving. I appreciate the aggressive commercials they're started to put out about it, though it won't do any good.

That's not what that's for, people! Ugh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every Offspring song ever:

~Yeaaaah Ooooh oooh oooh oooh~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
2) Accelerate on the g**dam on-ramps to the freeway, you selfish idiots. The speed limit is 65mph around here. If you insist on merging at 45 you are going to KILL US ALL when that cement truck boxes us out and then the gravel truck behind us plows into us when you slam on the brakes.

This is mine. Learn how to merge, people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:

On the other hand, it annoys me when on-coming drivers cross into my side of the road to pass parked cars when it's not their right-of-way, leaving me no choice but to wait for them (or drive head-on at them causing an impasse or accident) ... and then give the thank you wave for "letting them through".

Don't thank me! I didn't "let" you through, you pushed through without waiting to see if I was letting you through! The only thing there is to possibly thank me for is not being a total dick and driving straight at you anyway.

And yes, there is one place where this happens at least 1 in 3 times I drive down it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:

On the other hand, it annoys me when on-coming drivers cross into my side of the road to pass parked cars when it's not their right-of-way, leaving me no choice but to wait for them (or drive head-on at them causing an impasse or accident) ... and then give the thank you wave for "letting them through".

Don't thank me! I didn't "let" you through, you pushed through without waiting to see if I was letting you through! The only thing there is to possibly thank me for is not being a total dick and driving straight at you anyway.

And yes, there is one place where this happens at least 1 in 3 times I drive down it.

Definitely. When a car pulls half way out of the junction, stopping all the cars in one direction to force their way into the traffic. Then when you let them in they give you a wave. Not that they gave you any choice. Grr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for not smashing into me, like you probably should have....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valencia Victorious Von Verrata is the
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Cursed be and eternally damned those who would steal the games of the wizardinwhite
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
Verdigris97 wrote:
0) Hang up your g**dam cell phones, you self-obsessed, narcissistic pricks. You are going to KILL US ALL.

I got rear-ended last summer by a chick who was texting while driving. With three of my four kids in the car. (Thankfully the baby was at home with my wife. He was only about six weeks old at the time.) She hit me hard enough to deploy her airbag. (Or, as she put it, "Just a tap!")

Her brother-in-law arrived and tried to talk me into not calling the cops, telling me he'd take care of the damages because he works for a body shop. I politely declined.

The reason is that when the cops showed up, I found that she was driving while uninsured.

She creased the back end of the tailgate in my wife's car. The kids were fine. Total damage was $1100, which my insurance company was nice enough to pick up. (Or, rather to say: I am now grateful for all the years I've paid for uninsured motorist coverage.)

I have been in heavy traffic on the freeway and have been tempted, now and again, to stomp on my brakes, get out of the car, and berate the person behind me TO PUT AWAY THE FUCKING PHONE. I have not given in to the temptation.

Yet.
You're a brave man. I'm sorely tempted to leave a hammer in my vehicle for just this occurrence. Take their phone. Shatter it. Then, their fingers. They can drive with their palms and thumbs. If any of your kids had gotten harmed in the accident....devil buh bye airheaded texters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, it really pisses me off when there's an intersection, and the people who have a green light have a red light right after, so they pull up into the middle of the intersection and just stop, so when the light changes, there's a bunch of cars in front of us and no one can move. Don't block the damn intersection!

A couple weekes ago, I kid you not, I was coming home late at night and on my way, I saw a car coming towards me (yes, he was going the wrong way). Luckily I slowed down enough, and he turned, so I didn't get into an accident, but I've never seen that before. That's bad driving.

I hate when people ignore right-of-way. But I assume most people here don't even know what it is. I read a statistic a while back that something like 45% of Florida drivers don't have their license.

I sometimes text/FB message at red lights. I pay attention, though, I'm not a dummy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:

There should be a small protruding handle-thing on your mirror to flip it back and cut the glare/light.

Yeah, but I always forget to flip it back, so I just squint. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:

I'll plead guilty to not always using my indicator, but I do when there's a chance the information will help someone.

Also near our school there is a three way intersection. One road goes in front of the school and continues into a dead end with three or four houses on it. The road beside the school coming from the main road T's into this road with a stop sign. So the vast majority of vehicles are going to turn onto the side road which means that the car from the side road can turn left to proceed to the high school. So a right turn indicator is crucial here or a whole line of cars waits to see if the oncoming car is one of the 0.0001% that go straight. It's amazing how many still don't signal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
jmayDET wrote:

That's not what that's for, people! Ugh!

I think that, yes, that is exactly what it is for.

I used to hate Jetta drivers. I was convinced that they had to pass some kind of a**hole test to purchase one. Then it was BMW drivers. Now it is clear to me that Audi has just released some sort of Douche Class sedan, because every time I see one, it is doing stupid or rude things on the road.

My main pet peeve with other drivers (among many) is when someone applies their brakes as they're approaching a green light. But I think someone already mentioned that one, so here's a bonus: people who drive with both feet (brakes and accelerator), so that they're continually modulating their speed with the brake instead of coasting. It creates a situation where you're constantly being alerted to what this moron's feet are doing, which your brain interprets as "Slowing down now", until things enter a boy-cried-wolf stage of conditioning that ends in a fiery crumpled mess for everyone involved. The WORST.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.