Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If both myself and another player are shipping, wanting to consume and we can both drain the VP chip pool on our turns respectively, how do we resolve this?

The rule manual says to begin with the player with the lowest (blue) number showing on their faction tile and go clockwise. Does this mean that I (having faction 1) would completely drain the pool of VP and there would then be nothing there for him on his turn? This is currently my understanding of how that would play out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the pool is drained, you add the 10s in so people can take what they are owed and then end the game at the end of the round. Nobody ever fails to get chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OathSworn wrote:
If both myself and another player are shipping, wanting to consume and we can both drain the VP chip pool on our turns respectively, how do we resolve this?

The rule manual says to begin with the player with the lowest (blue) number showing on their faction tile and go clockwise. Does this mean that I (having faction 1) would completely drain the pool of VP and there would then be nothing there for him on his turn? This is currently my understanding of how that would play out.

Draining the pool ends the game, but you still score as normal. You don't lose out on the points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that if you go later in turn order for Ship and the VP chips are coming down close, you may want to see what players before you do to make your move. In other words, Consume to end the game sooner, or just Trade to prolong the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
OathSworn wrote:

Draining the pool ends the game, but you still score as normal. You don't lose out on the points.

Let me get this clear.
If the vp chips ran out, the game ends this round. If players still need to take chips, they can get another 10 chips extra (but more than that, the points are lost). So in this case, if there are more than players to gain points, the lower numbered faction get first and then ascending. But if the extra points ran out, no more points are given right?
So it is possible the next players didn't get any, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
lfisher wrote:
OathSworn wrote:

Let me get this clear.
If the vp chips ran out, the game ends this round. If players still need to take chips, they can get another 10 chips extra (but more than that, the points are lost). So in this case, if there are more than players to gain points, the lower numbered faction get first and then ascending. But if the extra points ran out, no more points are given right?

No, there are 50 points in 10s. You should never run out. At any rate you are never supposed to "lose" earned points.

Quote:
If the initial pool of VP chips runs out, add the set-aside 10 VP chips to the
VP pool. Use them to continue earning VP chips for Consume tasks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
vardamir wrote:
lfisher wrote:
OathSworn wrote:

Let me get this clear.

No, there are 50 points in 10s. You should never run out. At any rate you are never supposed to "lose" earned points.

Quote:
If the initial pool of VP chips runs out, add the set-aside 10 VP chips to the
VP pool. Use them to continue earning VP chips for Consume tasks

Oh wait a minute, I think I got it wrong. The wording is a bit weird. So it's practically, use the rest of the chips from the box to refill the supply. I think you only add 10 points for buffer.

Shoot, they choose overly complicated words on the rules. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
jozanwars wrote:
Quote:

Let me get this clear.

This is the right answer

This is NOT the right answer.

The right answer is : Everyone always gets all the points they are entitled to, even if you need to scavenge some VP counters from another game.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luciano Roggero
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, rules say "chips 10 VP", so all chips not one (as I understood)...I'm sorry blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:

The right answer is : Everyone always gets all the points they are entitled to, even if you need to scavenge some VP counters from another game.

Or use beer bottle tops (I've done it in a 2p game of Race where we only had 2 x 10VP chips out and both consumed for lots at the end of the game - I could have opened the box but there was already a bottle top on the table)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
therealbuserian wrote:

Or use beer bottle tops (I've done it in a 2p game of Race where we only had 2 x 10VP chips out and both consumed for lots at the end of the game - I could have opened the box but there was already a bottle top on the table)
As it's the end of the game, one can just consider committing the VP earned to memory, while calculating the final score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If, after using all the VP chips supplied with the game, there are still not enough VP chips, get a pair of scissors and cut up the box insert into 1-inch squares. Use the 1-inch squares as tokens, worth 30VP each, to make up the needed VPs.

If you run out of box-insert squares, continue to cut up the box lid into half-inch squares. Use each of those half-inch squares as tokens worth 1000VP each in the same manner.

If you run out of box-lid squares, cut up the box base into quarter-inch squares. Use each of those quarter-inch squares as tokens worth 300000VPs each.

If you still don't have enough chips to make up the difference, then the game is a tie, regardless of VPs earned, and you must play extra games until you run out of VP chips again.

At that point, whomever has won the most extra games up to that point is considered the winner of the first game. If the number of extra games won is equal among the players who have won the most extra games, then whichever of them owns the most copies of Roll for the Galaxy is the winner. If they own an equal number of Roll for the Galaxy sets, then the tie is not broken until someone owns more.

The winner must give one of their sets to the owner of the first game, to make up for the fact that their box and insert are now all cut up into pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D'OH! I could have been cutting up the insert and box lid?!

I've been cutting fingers off of the other players and using those...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
The winner must give one of their sets to the owner of the first game, to make up for the fact that their box and insert are now all cut up into pieces.

Your rules allow that the winner might own zero games. I think you need errata now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
DaviddesJ wrote:
onigame wrote:

Your rules allow that the winner might own zero games. I think you need errata now.

Not if we allow for negative games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
onigame wrote:

No, the game-giving part only applies when the winner has won on the second tie-breaker, when you've played extra games and the number of extra games won is a tie. If you only win on the first tie-breaker, meaning that you've played the extra games and have won more extra games than any other player, you don't have to give a copy of the game to the owner of the first game. In that situation they're just screwed.

It's impossible to win on the second tie-breaker with zero games, since you will need more copies of the game than the other players who have won an equal number of extra games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sticking with beer bottle tops, even if that is now officially a variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
No, the game-giving part only applies when the winner has won on the second tie-breaker, when you've played extra games and the number of extra games won is a tie. If you only win on the first tie-breaker, meaning that you've played the extra games and have won more extra games than any other player, you don't have to give a copy of the game to the owner of the first game.

That's errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
D'OH! I could have been cutting up the insert and box lid?!

I've been cutting fingers off of the other players and using those...

Each finger is worth 1/4 of a VP. *Looks around* We're going to need more fingers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
onigame wrote:
No, the game-giving part only applies when the winner has won on the second tie-breaker, when you've played extra games and the number of extra games won is a tie. If you only win on the first tie-breaker, meaning that you've played the extra games and have won more extra games than any other player, you don't have to give a copy of the game to the owner of the first game.

That's errata.

It's not errata, it's clarification. Errata is when there's an error in the rules and I correct it. Clarification is when there's an ambiguity in the rules and I clarify it. Here, the ambiguity is whether "The winner" in the last sentence refers to the winner of the secondary tie-breaker (the topic of the previous sentence) or the winner of the primary tie-breaker (the topic of the previous paragraph).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
It's not errata, it's clarification. Errata is when there's an error in the rules and I correct it. Clarification is when there's an ambiguity in the rules and I clarify it. Here, the ambiguity is whether "The winner" in the last sentence refers to the winner of the secondary tie-breaker (the topic of the previous sentence) or the winner of the primary tie-breaker (the topic of the previous paragraph).

I don't think there are two possible interpretations here. You could have written, "In that case," or something like that, and maybe that's what you were thinking, but you didn't.

We've probably wrung enough out of this silly example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.