Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Zulus on the Ramparts, Keep Up the Fire, and Hapsburg Eclipse.

I'm looking for a recommendation for another SoS game that has a roughly similar difficulty-of-winning as compared with Zulus.

Thanks.
Ralph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an exact answer but if you enjoyed Hapsburg Eclipse, take a look at Ottoman Sunset. Same designer, still WW1, and you can even join the two games to make a large game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reviewboy wrote:

I'm looking for a recommendation for another SoS game that has a roughly similar difficulty-of-winning as compared with Zulus.

Thanks.
Ralph

You should obviously get Ottoman Sunset. It is one of the best SOS games, and it can also link to a combined game with Hapsburg Eclipse.

When you are really competent with SOS games, you will want to step up to try Cruel Necessity or Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition), depending on whether you prefer history or zombies!

Have fun playing all of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lost Cause is also an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Wien / Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition) although it is another step up from the games you mentioned. I'm hoping to give the Hapsburg Eclipse/Ottoman Sunset a run through this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
reviewboy wrote:

Thanks.
Ralph

You should obviously get Ottoman Sunset. It is one of the best SOS games, and it can also link to a combined game with Hapsburg Eclipse.

When you are really competent with SOS games, you will want to step up to try Cruel Necessity or Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition), depending on whether you prefer history or zombies!

Have fun playing all of them!

Dave and Joe F, thanks for the reply and recommendation!

In fact, I've had my eye on Ottoman Sunset, due to the theme.

Regarding Cruel Necessity, I hope to be that good at SoS games someday! I like the game's theme.

Ralph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:
The Lost Cause is also an excellent game.

David, thanks for the recommendation.

VPG rates Lost Cause a '4' in Difficulty, vs a '3' for Zulus.

Would you say that Lost Cause's higher Difficulty rating is for learning difficulty or winning difficulty?

Ralph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidcoleman wrote:
+1 to Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition) although it is another step up from the games you mentioned. I'm hoping to give the Hapsburg Eclipse/Ottoman Sunset a run through this weekend.

David, thanks for the recommendation.

Ralph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps, Dawn of the Zeds is an absolute bugger to learn. So many finicky rules... so maybe wait for the new edition. Cruel Necessity is excellent, but there's more going on than Zulus. It's simple enough to grasp though.

Never gets recommended and not everyone enjoys it solo, but for something different you could look at Circus Train. It's not a Siege game though. At least have a read of it.

I'm about to learn Mound Builders, but I think it's trickier than Zulus too. Looks great though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
reviewboy wrote:

Hi, Ralph.

You are asking the wrong question. All of the SoS games are designed to be difficult to win. You're supposed to lose about 90% as an unsophisticated player. So you ought to look for theme that engages. I would suggest picking up any expansion kits for any game you order. I've found these to be an excellent value for enhanced gameplay.

I agree with the recommendation of Ottoman Sunset. It is one of the very best in the series. Dawn of the Zeds is out of print. So you'd have to find this second-hand or wait the forthcoming 3rd edition.

You should also bear in mind the distinction between the Gold Banner versions which have improved components and are boxed. The legacy games are in bags.

One of my favorite SoS games is The Blood-Red Banner: The Alamo. However, it is extremely light with only about 25 cards. It is an excellent quick game.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you decide and what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans von Stockhausen

California
msg tools
Would you say that Lost Cause's higher Difficulty rating is for learning difficulty or winning difficulty?

Ralph,

The difficulty rating for these games are "game complexity" ratings or learning difficulty. The 4 rating for Lost Cause reflects the advance game while the basic game is somewhat easier. You might also consider some of non States of Siege solitaire games like "Hero of Weehawken". All are quite challenging to win.

Hans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice, Hans!

I'll look into Hero of Weehawken.

Ralph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HitchKennedy wrote:
reviewboy wrote:

Hi, Ralph.

You are asking the wrong question. All of the SoS games are designed to be difficult to win. You're supposed to lose about 90% as an unsophisticated player. So you ought to look for theme that engages. I would suggest picking up any expansion kits for any game you order. I've found these to be an excellent value for enhanced gameplay.

I agree with the recommendation of Ottoman Sunset. It is one of the very best in the series. Dawn of the Zeds is out of print. So you'd have to find this second-hand or wait the forthcoming 3rd edition.

You should also bear in mind the distinction between the Gold Banner versions which have improved components and are boxed. The legacy games are in bags.

One of my favorite SoS games is The Blood-Red Banner: The Alamo. However, it is extremely light with only about 25 cards. It is an excellent quick game.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you decide and what you think.

You mention The Blood-Red Banner, and it's one of the SoS themes that intrigue me (maybe because I visited The Alamo last year). Perhaps I'll give this game a try.

Thanks for the recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations and observations, Jason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.