4 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: X-Wing Draft? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Lesperance
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly the wrong forum, but does anyone play this in a draft format, or in a format where players pull from shared resources and build their teams as part of the game?

IE: Player 1 picks an upgrade card first, Player 2 goes second, etc...

Does it work, is it interesting, is there a more creative way to incorporate it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Due to the strong factioning in the game, I've mostly played where everyone can use my ships (yeah, I've got a lot) and proxy any high-demand upgrades.

I have seen some folks post about drafting, and that it went acceptably well. I've also run a mega-game of escalation furball, where I preconfigured ships at the 15/20/25/30/35+ point level, and players would then choose one ship from the available selection to fly at any given time - fun, but did not have any team building to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquis DeSade
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've drafted a 2v2 session with my group; we're all mtg cube zealots and try to shoehorn anything and everything into draft format...

Prior to the draft, we went through one of the player's card binders and made a selection of 12 "common" ships (low PS and workhorses), 6 "uncommons" (mid range PS role players), and 6 "rares" (eccentric, big base, and/or high PS ones), then we went through a quick round of 6 cards per pack. We suspended faction rules.

After ships had been selected, we went off individually to make up lists + select any and all upgrades we wanted to use. Then we randomly pulled for teams and played on a 3x6 map.

All in all it was a pretty successful event and competitive match. Our group has talked about running on again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has done a draft. Basically, only for the unique pilots and you have to stick with one faction. It worked out well. In my case, I didn't plan on using any unique pilot and drafted guys I knew the others would want to use as core parts of their squad. Pissed them off when I didn't use them lol. But it worked well and we all ended up having a lot of fun with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.