United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario #1 -- Chronos saves the day!

I played two more games of CC:E against a new opponent (Ben). His copy had arrived, but he had only skimmed the first few pages of rules, so I reviewed them and we started with Scenario #1. I took the Russians. Each Objective was worth 3 VP, and I knew the building on the "East" side of the board (Objective 4?) was worth 1 point. I split fairly evenly, he put everyone in the center.

Ben let me go first and I raced towards the central buiding, leaving my Medium MG in the grove. I claimed the building around turn 3-4. My eastern squad, seeing no opposition, sauntered towards the objective, with the main group veering towards the trail. Ben got the SW building (Objective #2) and kept to the woods. Neither of us could get a good fire group going, with the constrained LOS, and the fact that any group in the open/road got gunned down quickly.

We spent a long time just sitting and trading fire, and I eventually took out a squad. I moved most of my eastern group into the woods (along the trail). Then Ben maneuvered his leader and a squad towards objective #4; I couldn't move back (suddenly out of movement) but time was running out. Up by several VP I vacated Objective #4 (since I couldn't handle a melee) and sent more fire into the German buildings. One of those triggered a time check, and sudden death. Ben revealed that he also had Objective Four as his secret objective, so I won by 7 VP. One more turn and Ben would have claimed it, then I would have lost by 7 VP. Cruel fate! The game took two hours, including 30 minutes for rules.

Scenario #2 -- Smoking is for Winners!

After a pause for lunch, we set up Scenario #2 (Hedgerows & Handgrenades). I again took the Allies, and spent 5-10 minutes going over the Artillery/Ordnance rules.

My objective indicated that the building in N3 was worth a point. I set up my morter (and MG) in hex C10 so they could see the road, then set everyone else towards the N side of the board, C3-C4 and slightly behind. The Germans took all the objectives, and set up a fire team in J6. I set up Lt. Blankenship so he could see J6 and the N3 building, by placing him in the grove in N8 (Having these maps online really helps!).

I got a hand of artillery strikes and quickly went after the central group, Artillery, then fire for Morter and Machine Gun. I moved the squad up, using plenty of smoke grenades. It took a while, but they got to mid-map, having 'only' run into a minefield. I had probably placed 6 smoke grenades (!) in the first two decks. With poor LOS and smoke hinderances, the Germans kept moving their LMG nest. I got some unexpected reinforcements -- Engineers with a Satchel Charge. Under cover of smoke, they made their way into F6, then advanced into melee with a squad, but lost. Meanwhile, the Artillery & Mortar eventually cleared out the central nest, but it had taken three to four time advances (out of eight). The German VP edge had shrank, but it was still there.

At this point, I switched to calling in smoke rounds, and practically filled the board with smoke. (There were over 25 smoke hexes). I blanketed the remaining German LMG nest, as well as Objective #2. Pvt. Whas-his-name had earned a Field promotion, so he took a team past the LMG (breaking but regrouping) and took Objective #2 in hand-to-hand combat. Sgt. Smith called in an artillery strike against the central Nazi buildings, but it went awry and broke my advancing mortar & LMG team. They spent the game fleeing, but never quite retreated off the board...

But the Nazi LMG nest had squads and smoke all around, eventually they were ambushed by a large wave of Americans, and the Germans surrendered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent session report! Congratulations on your well-played win. This is definitely a game that makes you rethink what you should have/could have done better after the battle.

For Scenario 2, I have to say the American ability to blanket the entire map with all-but-permanent LOS blockages on an already hedgerow-filled map pretty much nullified the killing power of the German MGs. Very frustrating, but well played on your part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny - when I played this scenario, I think 50% of the events I turned up as the Americans were Breeze. My smoke never lasted long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Windy day... I've seen a few of those in play. Usually when I'm the one laying Smoke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:
Funny - when I played this scenario, I think 50% of the events I turned up as the Americans were Breeze. My smoke never lasted long.

Yes, there were a few turns where I said "If a breeze starts, I'm dead." (A few squads on the open road after climbing through hedges).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, thoroughly enjoyable reports!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,

You know, I don't usually write detailed session reports, but these games just stick in my head so that I can transcribe them (cutting out a lot of the "then we both discarded" chaff). Enjoyable. And thinking over it gives me a few ideas as to why I won/lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.