Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
I have played several campaigns now, and to me, the story path if you lose Aftermath is quite a bit easier than if you win. That is, it is greater chance of going into the finale with more total xp and credits..

If you win Aftermath, you get A new threat, notorious for being heavily favored for imps. Then, you get Fly Solo, which I find is a very luck based mission, where winning or losing hinges on the white die, or pulling the bacta card from the crate. If you win, imps get a slight edge in Incoming, if you lose, Rebels get a slight edge in Drawn In, but both can go either way. The Source is very rebel favored if you lost story 3, and Chain of Command is slightly rebel favored.
So, the best you can really hope for is 12xp. Also, since Story 1 is an almost guaranteed loss, you don't really have a shot at winning 2 xp at once till mission 5, and even then, Fly Solo is no guarantee.

On the other hand, If you lose Aftermath, you get under Seige, which is heavily rebel favored (so long as it is played correctly/ rebels know what they are doing). Then, you get Imperial Hospitality, which really is only imp favored if you go for the terminal. Then you get into the same situation above, where story mission 3 is only slightly favored for one or the other and Story mission 4 is either heavily or slightly rebel favored.
The biggest thing is, if you lose Aftermath, you skip the one heavily imperial favored mission, and have a strong chance to skip the crap-shoot mission that should be rebel favored. This gives you a much stronger chance of going into the finale with 13 xp.

Looking at the credit side doesn't help the winning Aftermath path either. It is quite easy to make 1000cr from Under Seige (making up for the loss of credits in aftermath), and in A New Threat, it is hard enough to win, let alone do it in 5 rounds. Both story 2 missions are roughly equal as getting extra credits is easy but it hurts your chances at winning, but if you lose Aftermath you avoid a full loss (A new threat).

I've seen campaign wins regardless, but the only time I've seen the heroes with 13 xp, it was if they lost Aftermath.

My experiences are based on several solo campaigns and live 4p campaigns (as imp player, where both sides were relatively equally skilled).

Agree/Disagree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-o Jankowski
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have thought about this also, and I think you are correct that the best path is to lose Aftermath as the Rebels. Even if you don't win Under Siege, you can still take 2 XP points for surviving the 6 rounds (fairly easy task). However, this would give up 2 XP to the imperial as well.

The only counter I am maybe thinking is, potentially maybe with Saska in your group for a campaign, you could have a better chance at winning A New Threat with her tool kit ability, sending people different ways on that mission is a must. And if they get an auto win skill check, that could really make that mission much easier for the Rebels to win. Just my theory, haven't seen it in practice yet. Which in this scenario, then it would be a slight advantage to the Rebels to take 2 XP, and the Imp to only take 1 XP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
Winning A New Threat places you into Imperial Hospitality. You would need to lose A New Threat to go into Fly Solo.

but yea, the mission order is based on how you're doing. Harder missions for the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Stertz
Austria
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe it is better to lose it.

Since when is Imp. Hops imperial favored though? It is the worst mission in the whole campaign for the imperials. Gideon/Diala are making this mission a piece of cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Triarier wrote:
Since when is Imp. Hops imperial favored though?

I wonder this as well. I've played this one 2 and a half times now (in the middle of a PBF with it). I expect to go 3 straight rebel wins getting the guy and the data; it's never even been close.

To the topic, yes it's easier to gather rewards by losing aftermath. I think they did a new threat vs under siege correctly, but I think imperial hospitality vs fly solo is backwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
msg tools
Talamare wrote:
Winning A New Threat places you into Imperial Hospitality. You would need to lose A New Threat to go into Fly Solo.

but yea, the mission order is based on how you're doing. Harder missions for the winner.

Except Fly Solo is very difficult (given it's supposed to be a "Rebel Advantage" mission) if you have a competent IMP Player, unless

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You have Gideon, Diala (Force Throw), Fenn (Tactical Movement), or unintentionally discover it's better to let the 3 Round limit lapse and just work on killing everything (or some combination of the above)

Because Fly Solo is difficult, it's better if the Rebels lose the Aftermath (and then win Under Seige). Imperial Hospitality can't be nearly as hard as Fly Solo (or, as mentioned, Fly Solo is very luck-based).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.