"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars" - unknown
mbmbmbmbmb
Name of Game: Triassic Terror
Number of Players: 2-6
Playing time: 90-120 minutes
Mechanics: Area Control/Area Influence and Card Drafting

Location of Demo: Arkham House Games – Cincinnati Ohio
Date of Demo: 9/19/15

I had an amazing time showing this game to a brand new store. The owner of the store has been interested in this game for quite some time, so he was super happy to see I had a copy I could bring to his store to demo.

The demo I did was four players. One player had already played this game, but was happy that I was there to give him a refresher. Once the rules were explained it was clear to me that there was going to be a dinosaur war between two friends, and it was awesome to watch!

We started off slowly just trying to get as many herds on the board as possible. Pink and Orange made it clear that they were not in the game to win, they were in the game to start a war. Every chance they got they were attacking each other either with the t-rex, raptors, or pterodactyl. Green didn’t really have a plan going into the start of the game, but he was really smart to beef up his one herd.

After the first scoring round Pink was in the lead since he was the only one who was able to get presence. Orange was in second, Blue in third (me), and Green in last place.

Once again, my demonstrator luck kicked in, I became the target of the attacks. I knew it would happen at one point. Orange, pink and green decided to gang up on blue. Because they were attacking so much my only options were to keep what I could on the board. When I chose actions, I was choosing “hatch”, “herd growth” or “new environment” just to keep my dinos on the board. Pink and Orange were going for the “t-rex” or “raptors” actions because either they were attacking me or finishing the war they started among themselves. Green was still a little confused. I helped him out and he was able to expand his one giant heard into a few herds and was slowly gaining control of some areas on the board. He didn’t really want to join the fighting, he wanted to keeps his dinos alive, however attacking the demonstrator seemed to be within his plan at times.

At the end of the second scoring round, it was clear that Pink was in it to win it. Once again he remained in first, Blue (me) bumped up to second, Orange was in third, and Green was in fourth. Green was not far behind though.

Amazingly, the last few rounds I was not attacked as much. I still kept growing my herds and expanding my territory as much as possible just in case. Pink really loved having control of T-rex and he kept taking that action because the pink T-rex “looked awesome on the board”. Orange was concentrating on cleaning up the mess from the last round and tried to catch up in points. Green started attacking more, but again he just wanted to beef up his herds.

After scoring a miracle happened – somehow I won the game. Of course convincing the group that I NEVER win this game didn’t go over very well. Pink came in second whereas Orange and Green tied for last place.

Everyone enjoyed playing this game and I had a lot of fun at this new store. I can’t wait to demo more games there. I already have requests to bring this awesome game back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.