Will Lewis
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Battle for Cydonia (working title)
2015-16 Wargame Print and Play Contest

Game Summary:

2-4 player war game with a medieval theme. Focus on tactical combat with a light economic angle.

Game Details:

Board is made up of hexes. (Roughly Square, around 20x20)
Hex pieces correspond to 4 terrain types:

Land: regular movement
Water: confers a movement penalty (if piece enters water, movement phase is ended)
Keep: confers defensive bonus, generates set amount of gold per turn, only site where players can purchase new units.
Hamlets: generates set amount of gold per turn for player holding them.

Combat will be dice based, similar to risk, with offensive and defensive rolls. Each unit has a set amount of health points, when that reaches zero they are removed from the board.

Units are comprised of 5 types:

Warrior: 5 health, 2 movement, melee, attack with 3 dice (until health falls below 3). Cost 2 gold

Archers: 3, 2 movement, ranged (2 hexes), cannot be damaged by defensive roles unless defender is adjacent, or an archer within range. Cost 3 gold

Knights: mounted units, melee, 5 health. 4 movement. Cost 5 gold.

Medic: 2 health, 3 movement, can heal 2 health per turn to adjacent units. Cost 4 gold

Caravan: 2 health, 4 movement, transports gold from hamlets to keep, where it can be redeemed for units. These units can be captured by opposing players, if returned to their keep, gold goes to that player.

Gold is generated by Keeps and Hamlets that are controlled. Gold must be transported to a players keep in order to be redeemed. Gold transport is accomplished with the Caravan game-piece. While in transit to a players keep gold can be stolen by opposing players by attacking Caravan piece.

Game Phases:

Roll for turn order.

Each ach player collects an initial amount of gold, which they can use to purchase units.

Each turn will be begin by players generating gold from their holdings, training new units. Next is action phase. Each unit can move and attack in any order, ex. Move then attack, attack then move, move 1 attack, retreat 1 are all viable moves

Tactical cards will factor heavily into combat. They can be purchased with gold from a randomized deck
Examples of tactical cards:
Double time march: after initial movement unit can move again
Strategic withdrawal: after attacking unit can move half of its movement range.
Flanking maneuver: if attacking a unit that has already been engaged this round add one additional attack die to your roll.
Archer support: used during defense, if archers are in range of an attacking army (not attacking the archer unit)they may attack prior to defensive roll.

Point of game is to eliminate your opponents army.

Components:
Board (made up of 1 inch hexes, 20x20 square)
Water tiles
Warrior units
Archer units
Knight units
Medic units
Caravan units
Hamlet markers
Keep markers
Damage tokens
Gold tokens
Tactical cards
Dice

Design Notes and Goals:

Currently I have a rough board of this game, which I am play-testing to polish mechanics. I am working to find:

optimal values for units,
game board size,
gold-per-turn payouts
methods to induce action
Methods to increase table-talk, and alliance making
potentials for combat system (went with dice by default)
I am aiming for a playtime of 1-1.5 hours.

I am attempting to keep the game fairly simple, I want minimal components, a simple and intuitive combat system, and the potential for variable strategies.

Categories:
Best Medium Game
Multi-player Game

This is my first attempt at making a boardgame, any advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple is good

How are you planning to track hits on units?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Go for the Caravans, those are juicy targets.

How do players win exactly? "Vanquish the opponent" is pretty vague. Does that mean controlling all the keeps? Eliminating all enemy units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Lewis
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
lukerazor wrote:
Simple is good

How are you planning to track hits on units?

Right now I'm focusing on the PNP models. Units will be a inverted-V made out of paper with icon on the front. To track damage you will simply draw a hash-mark on the back of the unit.

If I plan to move forward with making a more sturdy version of the game I plan to have some sort of damage slider on the base of each unit.

If you have any ideas I would love to hear them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Lewis
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
kurthl33t wrote:
Wow. Go for the Caravans, those are juicy targets.

How do players win exactly? "Vanquish the opponent" is pretty vague. Does that mean controlling all the keeps? Eliminating all enemy units?

Yeah, Caravans do seem to be targets. I'm currently working on playtests to asses whether Caravans will need some sort of defensive capabilities. I basically want a mechanism that will force players into conflict, it seems that controlling gold-generating spaces, and the need to transport that gold will provide a good mechanism for this. Right now I have them as incapable of defense, and as a discrete unit, occupying its own hex. I am toying with the idea of allowing caravans to occupy the same space as a combat unit, to allow for defense without having to assign values to the caravan itself.

Currently my idea is that to win you must eliminate your opponents army. However, I am also assessing the idea of victory being contingent on controlling all keeps. It seems to me, though, that the "control all keeps" victory condition could allow for some game-breaking mechanics. I will know more as I continue to playtest.

Thanks for the feedback, any insights are appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wjlewis wrote:
If I plan to move forward with making a more sturdy version of the game I plan to have some sort of damage slider on the base of each unit.

That would make for some fiddly pnp.

I guess you could go for
1) Memoir 44 style (1 figure per hit point)
2) "Classic" different unit counters for each "step" count
3) Gears of War style, ie a damage counter (of various denominations) that goes under the figure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Lewis
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
lukerazor wrote:

That would make for some fiddly pnp.

I guess you could go for
1) Memoir 44 style (1 figure per hit point)
2) "Classic" different unit counters for each "step" count
3) Gears of War style, ie a damage counter (of various denominations) that goes under the figure

I like the Gears of War style, damage tokens accompanying each unit, which can be changed out as HP fluctuates. My only concern is this could lead to clutter on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shall I add this to the contest thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Lewis
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
kerpob2 wrote:

Please do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wjlewis wrote:
kerpob2 wrote:

Please do.

Done! Please mention the Contest thread in your post, and although it is early, can you indicate what categories you think the game would be in.

Good luck - it sounds like a challenge. You'll also need counters to track damage. Which might get fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Lewis
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
kerpob2 wrote:

Done! Please mention the Contest thread in your post, and although it is early, can you indicate what categories you think the game would be in.

Good luck - it sounds like a challenge. You'll also need counters to track damage. Which might get fiddly.

Done! I agree that damage counters could get fiddly. Currently trying out different options to reduce clutter. Best option I've encountered so far seems damage tokens that correspond to each units health, which accompany each unit on the board. Hoping additional playtests will reveal a more elegant solution. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools

Cool looking game. I'm a sucker for Medieval themes. Are you going to stick with a generic "knights and castles" theme or add in more historical or regional flavor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Lewis
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
adam wilson wrote:

Cool looking game. I'm a sucker for Medieval themes. Are you going to stick with a generic "knights and castles" theme or add in more historical or regional flavor?

I was planning on keeping it generic. I am envisioning a variable board, and a lot of leeway in army make-up and potential strategies. I'm afraid if I stick to a historical model I will lose some of this fluidity, which I believe adds replay value.

However, I've been toying with the idea of making another game based on The Great Emu War:

2 players
Royal Australian Artillery : seeks to eradicate emu hoard,
Emu Hoard: seeks to consume all resources on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Wjlewis wrote:
However, I've been toying with the idea of making another game based on The Great Emu War:

2 players
Royal Australian Artillery : seeks to eradicate emu hoard,
Emu Hoard: seeks to consume all resources on the map.

Hey, emu's are scary man! I grew up on a farm in Oklahoma. There was this emu that had escaped from another farm and was wandering around in the forest near our house. We would find its tracks,(which look like dinosaur prints!) and hear it's eerie call sometimes. One day it chased my brother and his friend out of the woods. I only saw it once but that was enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game competition ready, or shall I add it to withdrawn (to enter maybe next time...)?

Edit - had to mark this as withdrawn as user hasn't logged on to BGG this year, and the competition deadline has passed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.