Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Tomorrow...finally - YS or BG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomorrow, after more than a month from the last play, I will get to play CW again. I can't wait. I have only played it twice so far, but still I think it is the best in my collection. I want to play one of the factions that I haven't yet played. So the ultimate question is - which is more fun, the Black Goat or Yellow Sign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, when I'm winning, it's more fun as Black Goat. When I'm losing, it's more fun as Yellow Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esed wrote:
Tomorrow, after more than a month from the last play, I will get to play CW again. I can't wait. I have only played it twice so far, but still I think it is the best in my collection. I want to play one of the factions that I haven't yet played. So the ultimate question is - which is more fun, the Black Goat or Yellow Sign?

This all depends upon your play style.

Are you wanting to build up and then spread like a plague across the map? Then try "Black Goat".

Black Goat is highly enjoyable for people who love a mix between defense and offense. The faction has many early game abilities such as "Avatar" and "Frenzy" that pushes it forward quickly. Once you get Shub-Niggurath in play, pick up the "Thousand Young" spell book to reduce the cost of your monsters and swarm the board!

--OR--

Are you wanting to march to the beat of your own drum? "Yellow Sign" is the way to go!

Yellow Sign is unique in that you don't control as many gates as other factions. So this gives you an added layer of protection. You focus on moving the King in Yellow around the map to desecrate land areas. Then leave a unit there to draw power during the Gather Power phase. The trick to winning is getting Hastur into play and balancing your acquisition of spell books.

I love all of the factions in Cthulhu Wars. But Yellow Sign is definitely my favorite faction as it requires a little more finesse to bring it to victory. And the models for the King in Yellow and Hastur are second to none!

My final advice? Play two games and try out both! I guarantee you will love them as much as I do.

Are other Great Old Ones giving you a hard time? Then summon Hastur of the Yellow Sign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Goat for me. If you win, people won't just think you "slipped under the radar" too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing both, but there are a couple of people in my game group that don't enjoy YS as much as the other three factions. The reason is that they feel that they are playing their own game in parallel with the main game. The strategy for YS is so different from the others that they feel out of the game a little.

Personally I think this is silly, but I can understand why they feel this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Goat. Its play style is much more satisfying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If no one messes with you when you're Yellow Sign then you just desecrate with impunity, which can be tedious, and then Yellow wins and everyone groans because Yellow won too easily. But once people realize how easy it is to derail Yellow it actually becomes a battle to play as them. In that situation Yellow is one of my favorites. You can screw with people so much.

But overall Black Goat is my boy. The playstyle clicks the most with me. And all of the area control stuff like Avatar and Necrophagy is always fun to me. Glad to see the often underrepresented Black Goat getting some love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rev. Dr. O'Grady
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel you. Currently, I'm trying to immerse myself in BG strategy love. It's a struggle, but it's one I've seen pay off significantly when done right. I've seen players become paranoid of Shubs power so badly that they devote their follow-up games to defeating her (and end up losing in the process ).
She is a mean, difficult mother--but she's worth it.
I'm still fighting through a few other openers that so can gather a bit of strategy.
This game has so much emergence, I feel both attracted and overwhelmed by the possiblities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Goat is my favorite faction to play in the core set, though she's far from the easiest to play well against savy opponents.

Probably the biggest appeal is her various and flexible opening strategies, though it's also really easy to mess up the early game with her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Yellow Sign ! The agressive version based on Zin Gaya and Gate capturing King in Yellow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitpipo wrote:
Battle Yellow Sign ! The agressive version based on Zin Gaya and Gate capturing King in Yellow

aka the "paint a target on your naked yellow ass" strategy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The main issue with YS is that its players tend to play it very conservative while this faction can also play very aggressively too. The main concern is to make Hastur to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
The main issue with YS is that its players tend to play it very conservative while this faction can also play very aggressively too. The main concern is to make Hastur to arrive.

Yesterday evening I played Yellow Sign, and had some trouble in the first couple of rounds due to the Crawling Chaos player messing with me. I entertained the idea of playing aggressively, but I really didn't want to paint a target on me.

I'll try it another time though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
bengougou75 wrote:

Yesterday evening I played Yellow Sign, and had some trouble in the first couple of rounds due to the Crawling Chaos player messing with me. I entertained the idea of playing aggressively, but I really didn't want to paint a target on me.

The more i play, the more i think i have to be without any pity and to take proffit of any breach...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
thegrinder wrote:
bengougou75 wrote:

The more i play, the more i think i have to be without any pity and to take proffit of any breach...

You misunderstand me Bernard

I just wanted to avoid attracting all the attention to myself, so that I might mercilessly stomp my opponents into the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
bengougou75 wrote:
thegrinder wrote:
bengougou75 wrote:

You misunderstand me Bernard

I just wanted to avoid attracting all the attention to myself, so that I might mercilessly stomp my opponents into the ground.

I say that because i saw CC hesitating to capture all YS cultists with Nyarla in Europe with a Polyp and all YS cultists alone while YS has 0 PPs (and PAssion) and CC 5. And at the end, YS wins ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:

I say that because i saw CC hesitating to capture all YS cultists while YS has 0 PPs and CC 5. And at the end, YS wins ...

I'll only avoid doing that if I feel like I'm playing against a non-experienced player. Wouldn't want to sour the game for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
bengougou75 wrote:

I say that because i saw CC hesitating to capture all YS cultists while YS has 0 PPs and CC 5. And at the end, YS wins ...

I'll only avoid doing that if I feel like I'm playing against a non-experienced player. Wouldn't want to sour the game for them.

Right, i prefer also to advice beginnners before they do a stupid thing and why it's stupid. But if they wanted to do after all my warnings, i let them do... Maybe they have a super idea that i didn't see... and No lessons is better than defeats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Yellow Sign and Black Goat are "non-Combat" factions. Not that they can't fight, or should never fight, but they have few Battle abilities (zero, for Yellow Sign; one, for Black Goat), and mostly have to interact via other means.

Yellow Sign's classic "messing with ya" abilities are threefold: Capturing cultists with the King, Zingaya, and the Big Hammer (Hastur's Vengeance, possibly boosted with Shriek of the Byakhee).

Black Goat's powers to make enemies cry consist of: Avatar (better in the early game), Necrophagy, and Ghroth. Otherwise, her abilities are defensive - Frenzy, Red Sign, and Thousand Young all make her harder to kill, capture, and easier for her to make a comeback. I once had a player resign when he thought he'd nearly wiped me out, and the next turn I spent 10 Power (out of a total of 16) and emptied my pool, placing all 9 monsters on the board. It was the psychological effect, plus the fact that he couldn't immediately follow up with a devastating attack to kill Shub. Instead, I was stronger than before (and he of course wasn't).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
Black Goat's powers to make enemies cry consist of: Avatar (better in the early game), Necrophagy, and Ghroth.

Do you actually use Ghroth much Sandy? To us it feels really hard to set up and there's almost always something more useful to do with two power than take a chance like that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:
Black Goat's powers to make enemies cry consist of: Avatar (better in the early game), Necrophagy, and Ghroth.

Do you actually use Ghroth much Sandy? To us it feels really hard to set up and there's almost always something more useful to do with two power than take a chance like that...

You just need to invest a lot into it

I feel like a sporadic Ghroth is almost useless. A heavy Ghroth strategy is quite deadly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me Groth feels like Dreams. In a usual game they probably get ignored the most, but if you intentionally build them into your strategy they will over time lead to extremely cost-efficient strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you're not planning for it, sometimes (particularly in 3-player games), two other factions will have just exhausted their resources attacking each other, and only have like 3 Cultists a piece, each on a gate. A nice Ghroth in that situation can mean there are suddenly 2 or 3 or even 4 empty gates, and your opponents can only re-recruit a single Cultist at a time, so it's a simple matter for you to walk your own units in. Then suddenly you have 7 gates, and end up gaining 14 Doom Points and 2 Elder Signs in the Doom Phase, and win the game handily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
davidryanandersson wrote:
To me Groth feels like Dreams. In a usual game they probably get ignored the most, but if you intentionally build them into your strategy they will over time lead to extremely cost-efficient strategies.

I feel exactly the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ended up playing the Black Goat. It was very fun, got quickly in the lead and then they wiped me off the map . But I still ended up second so not a bad result Thank guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.