21 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Marvel Zombies Mini-Expansion Finished rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Jones
msg tools
New Mechanics:
Decompose:Place the top card of the hero deck, in a special KO pile divided by hero. This does not count for schemes that revolve around KOing cards.

Spider-Man 2194

Thor 2194

Iron Man 2194

Giant Man 2194

Wolverine 2194

Mastermind: Magneto 2194

Mastermind: Zombie Fantastic

Survivors Villain Group
3x:
2x

Marvel Zombies Villain Group

Schemes

Any feedback is very much appreciated. I have another mini-expansion done, I just am too lazy to go downstairs and upload it. So stay tuned and my Hell Lords mini-expansion will be up soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Davenport
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmb
Re: Marvel Zombies Mini-Expansion WIP
The titles are a bit hard to read. Are you using legedit? I know you can add in the banner there.

Have you seen the Zombie Mr Fantastic Mastermind and Marvel Zombies Villain group already here on the geek?

I'm eagerly waiting to see the remaining 'heroes'(?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Jones
msg tools
Re: Marvel Zombies Mini-Expansion WIP
mattimeo84 wrote:
The titles are a bit hard to read. Are you using legedit? I know you can add in the banner there.

Have you seen the Zombie Mr Fantastic Mastermind and Marvel Zombies Villain group already here on the geek?

I'm eagerly waiting to see the remaining 'heroes'(?)

I didn't know I could do that, thanks! I'll put up the versions with banners once I get one or two more heroes done. Also Yeah I've seen the marvel zombies group before, I'm most likely gonna pull some inspiration from them. Its just 4 of those villains are also my heroes so I wanted to diversify stuff a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Marvel.

I love Dominion.

But I don't like zombies.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work!

Should Zombie Daredevil's card text read "Zombie Daredevil has +1 [fight] for each different [cost] card you have", rather than referencing Zombie Deadpool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Davenport
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmb
Just so you know, you would get a lot more critiques and a lot more exposure had you post this in the Variants forum. I'm gonna take a look through these today and let you know what I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Davenport
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to look like a real jerk, and for that I apologize. But when I make my cards, I want people to really nitpick.

I can't really even focus on what the cards say, because all I can see are micro errors. My biggest critique looking through them so far, is there is a lot a consistency errors. Missing spaces and commas. Lack of consistent Bold formatting on keywords. All numbers before an icon should also be Bold, ie +1\\, should be +1\\. Words are behind the attack/cost icons. Terminology seems to switch often, sometimes on the same card.

The dual icons aren't consistent with the game, was this intentional?

Zombie hulk is almost all dead space, this is going to show up stark white, is this intentional?

Dead space on Skrull Four card and most of the Schemes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
mattimeo84 wrote:
I'm going to look like a real jerk, and for that I apologize. But when I make my cards, I want people to really nitpick.

Agreed. There are some really basic spelling and grammar errors in here ("eahc", "thr" and using "allies" when you mean "ally's" - all three of which appear on the schemes alone).

There are also some really inconsistent bits of vocabulary often on the same card (Zombified Heroes/Allies, Human Victories/Conquests, commander/mastermind) and grammar (KO should be capitalised, Commander and Mastermind too).

Zombie Daredevil references Zombie Deadpool.

Literally all four schemes have crossed over hero/villains vocab, leading to schemes where the players appear to want the last scheme twist to be drawn. Admittedly the vocab gets rather mixed if you do throw all the sets together.

If I understand "Decompose" correctly, Iron Man's "Devour" just allows you to decompose a card you can afford from the HQ? With a net zero change to the player's recruit score?

Reynolds and Forge force you to own the base set, Villains and Secret Wars which is... a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
mattimeo84 wrote:

If LegEdit was used, it allows you a choice between split icons (like on Iron Man's first common) or side-by-side icons (I think). You can't mimic the official layout, for whatever reason.

I have a question about Decompose. Each hero has its own decompose pile? Would it make a difference for each player to have their own decompose pile (not divided by hero)? Also, it seems like the intent behind Decompose was to KO Hero cards without having them counted by schemes that count KOed Hero cards. Is that accurate? It seems like Sacrifice, from LE: Aliens, with some added mechanisms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Jones
msg tools
mattimeo84 wrote:

I can't really even focus on what the cards say, because all I can see are micro errors. My biggest critique looking through them so far, is there is a lot a consistency errors. Missing spaces and commas. Lack of consistent Bold formatting on keywords. All numbers before an icon should also be Bold, ie +1\\, should be +1\\. Words are behind the attack/cost icons. Terminology seems to switch often, sometimes on the same card.

Zombie hulk is almost all dead space, this is going to show up stark white, is this intentional?

Dead space on Skrull Four card and most of the Schemes.

No, you don't look like a jerk at all. This is really my first experience making any number of cards, and I knew that I would mess up a ton going into this. I'll fix everything I can spot today. Thank you for the feedback, it is really helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Jones
msg tools
Darkwynd wrote:
Awesome work!

Should Zombie Daredevil's card text read "Zombie Daredevil has +1 [fight] for each different [cost] card you have", rather than referencing Zombie Deadpool?

Yeah, it should. I'll fix that asap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Jones
msg tools
swheelock wrote:
mattimeo84 wrote:

If LegEdit was used, it allows you a choice between split icons (like on Iron Man's first common) or side-by-side icons (I think). You can't mimic the official layout, for whatever reason.

I have a question about Decompose. Each hero has its own decompose pile? Would it make a difference for each player to have their own decompose pile (not divided by hero)? Also, it seems like the intent behind Decompose was to KO Hero cards without having them counted by schemes that count KOed Hero cards. Is that accurate? It seems like Sacrifice, from LE: Aliens, with some added mechanisms.

It would make a difference for each player to have on. It is meant for all Spider-Man 2149 cards to be put together in a pile for decompose. And yeah the intent was KOing them without counting as KO, and then have cards trigger off of how much has been decomposed. I've never played LE: Aliens so I'm not quite sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Jones
msg tools
mattimeo84 wrote:
Just so you know, you would get a lot more critiques and a lot more exposure had you post this in the Variants forum. I'm gonna take a look through these today and let you know what I think.

Oh god, I meant to post this in the variant section. Should I just remake the thread in the variant section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Davenport
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmb
I would make the changes that have been called out, then post the new cards in the Variant section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
ThePhider wrote:
swheelock wrote:

It would make a difference for each player to have on. It is meant for all Spider-Man 2149 cards to be put together in a pile for decompose. And yeah the intent was KOing them without counting as KO, and then have cards trigger off of how much has been decomposed. I've never played LE: Aliens so I'm not quite sure.

Ah. Aliens has a keyword called Sacrifice that allows you to 'kill' (KO) that card in order to get an effect. Marvel Legendary doesn't have that, that I know of, and it's my guess that it's because there are a few schemes where KOed Heroes may result in Evil winning.

Anyway, I'm not at all sure about the cards, or Decompose as a keyword. It's definitely thinking outside the box, which is cool. I'm just not sure how useful it would be in a game. If there is a ton of Decompose action, could the Hero deck run out? Will searching through the Decompose piles, or the Victory Piles (as your Villains have you do a bit) take up a lot of time and slow down the game? What if a non-Hero card gets Decomposed somehow; where does it go?

I think some good ol' fashioned playtesting would go far with this one. It's definitely got potential, but it's tough to see the synergies and problems just by looking at the cards.

One final thing: you should make an effort to eliminate the speech bubbles in the art. If you don't have image editing software (as I don't, not counting Paint) you might try something online, like https://pixlr.com/. Liberal use of the clone stamp will get rid of those nasty, distracting bubbles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Jones
msg tools
The idea behind decompose is that having a bunch of zombies together isn't a good thing because they run out of food. Like these dudes are not meant to all play together in one group. Also I'm not sure how long it would take to search through decompose piles because at max they could have 14 cards in them. But I see what you're saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThePhider wrote:
Oh god, I meant to post this in the variant section. Should I just remake the thread in the variant section?

I don't think that would be necessary. There should be a way to simply move the entire thread. I think Iron Syndicate moved one recently. At the very least, perhaps an admin can assist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
ThePhider wrote:

I don't think that would be necessary. There should be a way to simply move the entire thread. I think Iron Syndicate moved one recently. At the very least, perhaps an admin can assist.

Yes. Here's the procedure: Click the red "X" button to the left of the thread's Subject near the top of the page (not the red "X" button on the first post!). That will pop up a small box with a couple different options. One of the options is "Wrong Forum". If you click that, that will flag the thread and a BGG moderator will move it, assuming the moderator agrees that the thread is in the wrong forum. I've already done this, but maybe having one or two other people do it may escalate it higher in the moderators' queue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Jones
msg tools
Oh I already remade it... Woops...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Jones
msg tools
Here is an updated version of this mini-expansion. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1441036/marvel-zombies-mini...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm just spit-balling here, but would this possibly work as a more practical 'Marvel Zombie' ability?

Zombie Hunger: If no Adversaries or Masterminds are fight this turn, all your heroes have -1 to their printed Recruit value this turn. This affect can be avoided by KOing a hero in any players hand. If an Adversary or Mastermind is fought this turn, all Heroes with this ability that have not fought yet have +1 Attack.

The idea being that if zombie characters don't 'defeat' (kill and eat) an adversary, they and everyone else suffers. Zombies are weaker and non-zombies are to busy staving off hungry zombies to focus on recruiting new blood, I mean recruits. The KOing of a hero (letting the zombies eat someone) will keep them occupied and allow the other heroes to recruit unimpeded. Conversely, if an adversary is defeated (killed and eaten), the zombie characters that have yet to be involved in a fight will be energized to fight even more.

An alternative ability in place of the second part is to allow one zombie character that already fought to be used again to fight. Again, because he's been energized because he fed.

As much as I like the effort, I just find the Decomposed ability a bit wonky and/or overly fiddly. Maybe it's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.