Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

I've got my eye on one of the newish horror-themed deckbuilders for my October gaming sessions, but I don't have any play experience with Dark Gothic (and/or Dark Gothic: Colonial Horror) or Don't Turn Your Back and was hoping to get the opinion of someone who's played both.

I like the worker-placement aspect and individual resource decks (ala Super Motherload) of Don't Turn Your Back, but Flying Frog has a pretty good pedigree even if Dark Gothic seems like it could just be standard fare for the genre.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either, but "Don't Turn Your Back" sure looks a lot more interesting to me. Comparing what I know about the two companies enforces that.

I only know Evil Hat from their RPG supplements which are universally excellent. Are they equally good at designing card games, though? I don't know, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

The Flying Frog games I know are entirely not my cup of tea, though. If I tried to say something positive, it would probably be 'great production value'. Did they release anything like a deckbuilder before? I guess, I'm cautiously pessimistic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd say DTYB. The one thing Dark Gothic has over it is variable player power. Other than that, the game play is much more interesting in DTYB, which combines deckbuilding with a simple worker-placement style board. So there is an added layer of strategy as to when and where to play your cards. And the game supports lots of different paths to victory. Also, personal taste, but I love the artwork and graphic design in DTYB.

And one other difference, Dark Gothic is semi-cooperative, which I don't particularly like as you can have someone whose behind essentially screw everybody with suboptimal play if they've given up. DTYB is straight competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.