Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
71 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: The kiss-cam controversy: Quick Poll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt you've been to a stadium sporting event and seen the kiss-cam. During a break in the action the camera will focus on a couple in the stands and, with their images framed in a heart on the jumbotron, encourage them to kiss. They kiss, crowd cheers, camera moves on. Fun right? Or at least it passes the time. Times, however, change and now some recent controversies are threatening to end the kiss cam forever.

The first involves the New York Mets. They would end their kiss cam routine by focusing the camera on two players in the visiting team's dugout and ask them to kiss. The gag would get a big laugh and applause, but some fans were offended. Said one fan after seeing people laugh at two Philadelphia Phillies players shown on the screen...

"Putting two men together on the kiss cam isn't a punch line. I want to keep coming to games. Please stop doing this."

This post started a twitter outcry and the Mets organization apologized and promised to stop doing the joke...but the kiss-cam stayed.

Full Story Here

To be fair, the LA Dodgers used the kiss-cam to show a gay man propose to his partner. He (the partner) said yes.
-------

The second controversy is a bit more intense as it accuses the kiss-cam of being used to promote sexual assault. At Syracuse University a student (after attending a football game) wrote a letter to the school paper describing his unease at how the kiss-cam was used. Many pairs were obvious couples and happy to oblige the camera by kissing. At other times, however, the people were obviously not a couple and the camera was trying to start a romance. In one case a male student pleaded for a kiss while a girl adamantly shook her head no. In response, the male grabbed the girl and "shoved his tongue down her throat" while the crowd cheered. In another instance the girl also shook her head no but several students nearby shoved her face into the male's.

In response, Syracuse has done away with the kiss-cam.

Full Letter Here It's an interesting read.
-------

So, in view of all this I ask you...

Poll
What is your opinion of the kiss-cam?
I hate to say it but the kiss-cam should be gotten rid of. The potential for mischief or giving offense or unintended consequences is simply too great when balanced against the minimal enjoyment it brings. It's not like the game is being cancelled.
Whoa. Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater. I'll admit that the kiss-cam should not be used to try to encourage love or for sexual orientation jokes but if used judiciously on obvious couples the fun can and should continue.
Holy crap! Once again the PC police show up declaring that they know better than everyone else and that the "evil" kiss-cam should be banned for all eternity. And the world once again becomes a darker, drabber place. Screw that!
      95 answers
Poll created by Gialmere
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought they focused the camera on two heterosexuals, that is the punch line to the joke.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you're one of thousands, even in a public space, you have a reasonable right to privacy. Reputable photographers pay models and have models, professional or ad hoc, sign releases before publishing their pictures. I don't see why a member of a stadium crowd should be forced to give up their rights because they want to attend an event. A stadium is a public accommodation, often subsidized with tax dollars.

Naturally, a fully private stadium that, with fair and prominent notice, gets an actual holographic signature, would be different.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Obvious bias in the poll, no option for "encouraging strangers to make out while you watch is awkward and creepy and why are we doing that at public events."
26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gialmere wrote:
The second controversy is a bit more intense as it accuses the kiss-cam of being used to promote sexual assault. At Syracuse University a student (after attending a football game) wrote a letter to the school paper describing his unease at how the kiss-cam was used.

Bogus; the letter-writer is only assuming that the people on the screen weren't just horsing around, that those really were assaults, but the victims aren't pressing charges despite the assaults being caught on video in front of thousands of witnesses. That just doesn't seem very likely.

And even if there are cases where someone assaults someone else because they're on TV, it seems to me like the person committing the assault is the only one responsible. Instead of getting rid of the kiss-cam, it seems like it would be better to get rid of people who are going to assault the person sitting next to them.

(And, if these seemingly-non-consensual acts really are non-consensual, nobody's taught these women to drop their chin & whip forward into a headbutt? That turns the whole thing into comedy.)
17 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted to get rid of it.

Mostly because it's silly as hell and I find it kind of lame.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I find anything of this sort, where individuals are placed under intense pressure amongst dozens (or hundreds, or thousands) of others to do X, often taken entirely by surprise, to be very disturbing. Very much a form of bullying and public humiliation.

There have been campaigns for decades to resist peer pressure, and to stop exerting peer pressure; and then there's this shit.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
There have been campaigns for decades to resist peer pressure, and to stop exerting peer pressure; and then there's this shit.

OK, but isn't this a perfect opportunity to resist peer pressure? The camera hits you & your SO, and you've got a few seconds to ham it up; if you pretend to strangle each other, what's the crowd going to do?

(That's, uhh, that's an honest question: contrary to the OP's opening sentence, I don't think I've been to a big enough stadium sporting event since they started doing this, and I don't really watch televised sports; I've been real busy with my other hobby, dolphin porn.)
14 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The user "kuhrusty" wishes to retract the previous post.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
There have been campaigns for decades to resist peer pressure, and to stop exerting peer pressure; and then there's this shit.

OK, but isn't this a perfect opportunity to resist peer pressure? The camera hits you & your SO, and you've got a few seconds to ham it up; if you pretend to strangle each other, what's the crowd going to do?

(That's, uhh, that's an honest question: contrary to the OP's opening sentence, I don't think I've been to a big enough stadium sporting event since they started doing this, and I don't really watch televised sports; I've been real busy with my other hobby, watching nature films about the majestic queens of the sea... and their hot-blooded, sinewy bodies... they're aaaall mammal, all right.)
14 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The user "kuhrusty" wishes to retract the previous post.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
There have been campaigns for decades to resist peer pressure, and to stop exerting peer pressure; and then there's this shit.

OK, but isn't this a perfect opportunity to resist peer pressure? The camera hits you & your SO, and you've got a few seconds to ham it up; if you pretend to strangle each other, what's the crowd going to do?

I love televised sports all the time!!
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gialmere wrote:
No doubt you've been to a stadium sporting event and seen the kiss-cam. During a break in the action the camera will focus on a couple in the stands and, with their images framed in a heart on the jumbotron, encourage them to kiss. They kiss, crowd cheers, camera moves on. Fun right?


The words I would use are "unpleasantly intrusive, bordering on mob-bullying". But then I'm English, and we tend not to like that sort of thing. If it happened to me (and of course, this is impossible, since there's no popular American sport I enjoy and I don't live in the US), I would be inclined to see how many insult gestures from various countries and cultures I could display to the camera before they cut or panned away...
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's the worst kind of peer pressure. Do it on obvi couples only of you need to do it at all.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
The words I would use are "unpleasantly intrusive, bordering on mob-bullying". But then I'm English, and we tend not to like that sort of thing. If it happened to me (and of course, this is impossible, since there's no popular American sport I enjoy and I don't live in the US), I would be inclined to see how many insult gestures from various countries and cultures I could display to the camera before they cut or panned away...

This is why is wouldn't work here in the UK. It's another example of how foreign (to the British) you Americans are.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When in Rome...First World problems...lighten up...move along.

One more pseudo-controversy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
When you're one of thousands, even in a public space, you have a reasonable right to privacy. Reputable photographers pay models and have models, professional or ad hoc, sign releases before publishing their pictures. I don't see why a member of a stadium crowd should be forced to give up their rights because they want to attend an event. A stadium is a public accommodation, often subsidized with tax dollars.

Naturally, a fully private stadium that, with fair and prominent notice, gets an actual holographic signature, would be different.

You have no expectation of photographic privacy in a private venue - everything I've read says they make the rules (security cameras particularly - imagine a thief suing Walmart because Walmart used a still from a security video to catch the thief). And most stadiums are owned by the county, so would be a public venue anyway. Besides, the EULA of the ticket you purchased probably gives them the right to use your image however they want.

This is a mountain out of a molehill. Kiss me cams are hokey, but anyone on camera is well within their rights to cover their faces or otherwise refuse to "kiss."

If two same gender fans are showcased and that makes enough fans uneasy, then the stadium has to determine for themselves if that kind of kiss me cam is worth it.

In the match making scenarios above, anyone who touched the unwilling participant should be prosecuted. It's assault, whether sexual or just pushing from behind.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The kiss-cam is stupid, but if I was next to the ugliest woman who I despised more than anything imaginable and the kiss cam went to us - I would kiss her.

It's a fucking kiss, not a blowjob.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
The kiss-cam is stupid, but if I was next to the ugliest woman who I despised more than anything imaginable and the kiss cam went to us - I would kiss her.

It's a fucking kiss, not a blowjob.

It's still an assault. Perhaps she doesn't want to kiss you? Especially if she despised you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
The kiss-cam is stupid, but if I was next to the ugliest woman who I despised more than anything imaginable and the kiss cam went to us - I would kiss her.

It's a fucking kiss, not a blowjob.

It's still an assault. Perhaps she doesn't want to kiss you? Especially if she despised you.


"assault", lmao.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
BimmyJim wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
The kiss-cam is stupid, but if I was next to the ugliest woman who I despised more than anything imaginable and the kiss cam went to us - I would kiss her.

It's a fucking kiss, not a blowjob.

It's still an assault. Perhaps she doesn't want to kiss you? Especially if she despised you.


"assault", lmao.


A sexual assault, no less, which will get you permanently on an offenders list.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At Capitals games, the Kiss Cam used to end generally by finding two people of the same sex wearing jerseys of the opposing team. They started getting complaints about that, and so they switched to ending with finding someone wearing a jersey from the opposing team but sitting alone, and playing sad music. When one responded by flipping off the camera, they stopped that and switched to having a fake "fan" (team employee) wearing an opposing team's jersey sitting alone in a cordoned-off area.

Eventually they got rid of it entirely, to prevent any cases where someone might press sexual assault charges (and sue the team as a result), as while to my knowledge it's never happened as a result of a Kiss Cam anywhere, people have been charged with sexual assault for unwanted kissing, even when not done with force.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think sports should move along briskly enough that there isn't time for this nonsense, but given the pace of baseball, they need something....


And paying to watch sports in general always seems silly although I succumb to peer/family pressure occasionally.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:
The kiss-cam is stupid, but if I was next to the ugliest woman who I despised more than anything imaginable and the kiss cam went to us - I would kiss her.

It's a fucking kiss, not a blowjob.

It's still an assault. Perhaps she doesn't want to kiss you? Especially if she despised you.


"assault", lmao.


A sexual assault, no less, which will get you permanently on an offenders list.


Maybe in your shitty country, but if you kiss someone while 20,000 people are cheering you on because a kiss cam is focused on you, there's no way that's an assault of any kind.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
just flip the kiss cam the bird
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.