United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't do it. With the $6 pledge of the 2.0 update of cards and rulebook, even "just" the Captain's pledge stuff is a lot of fun! (This update can be downloaded for free from the Megacon Games website, if you want to check them out.)

Did you email Nikki about getting the Quest expansion 1 upgrade, the 2.0 stretch goal monster cards upgrade, the Trickster deck upgrade for your Captain's pledge? Read the last few updates on the Journeyman Kickstarter page for info about getting this upgraded stuff added for free to your Journeyman pledge. Also, if you bought the Quest expansion 2, Item expansion 1, and the Spriggan and Skald with your Captain's pledge, you can get those cards upgraded, too, by emailing Nikki.

If you do decide to expand your collection using your Journeyman pledge, getting the Minion pledge + the All In modules bundle will keep you busy for a long time, especially if you also play free-form and/or quest adventures. And with the pledge and stretch goals, among other cool things, you 4 new heroes plus the Journeyman advanced cards and figures for them. (If you already have the Trickster, Skald and Spriggan, you may also want to get the Journeyman sets for them, so they can advance, too).

You did state that it is your favorite of your games, so my advice is:

Get at least the $6 upgrade and email Nikki to upgrade the stretch goal stuff and add-on stuff you got with your Captain's pledge.

And quit worrying about getting any of the the add-ons, promos, exclusive stuff, advanced stuff, etc., and just enjoy playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually understand people getting 'Pledge Manager Fatigue'. I don't think MCG is doing anything wrong, especially, but this one is really difficult to understand everything that's coming, between the stretch goals, Recon Myth stuff, add-ons and 2.0 things, and all the many 'upgrades'. Not to mention the wording of things like tile 'expansions' and 'supplements'.

I accept we don't need 'everything', but by our nature, many boardgamers tend to be collectors; it's the 'gotta catch 'em all' syndrome and Kickstarters play on that.

Myth is also kinda expensive. It's a minis game, after all, and it all adds up. I'm surprised how quickly I got through my pledge money.

In general I'm not a fan of 'exclusives'. I know why they do it, and MCG isn't doing anything different to most here. But that's actually why I bailed on 'Conan' - I was tired of their hectoring emails telling me I needed these add-ons because I'll 'NEVER be able to get them anywhere else, and oh, I need the stuff from the Blood Rage KS too!' It just wearied me to the whole concept.

And if I somehow miss a game and I'm late to the table, I don't want to get involved if I see lots of 'exclusives' that will cost a fortune on Ebay. I feel like if I'm not invited to the party, I don't want to gatecrash it later.

I will persevere, but I understand why people lose patience with this one. On the plus side, Myth seems to be one of those games that's in demand, and I doubt you'll have any problems selling a JM pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is so much content in the core box and the expansions... I really don't think people realize how insignificant the exclusives are.

I doubt most people have even played multiple sessions with every one of the 5 core heroes. And now we are getting 4 more in the JM ks along with dual paths for the core 5. And if they wanted Skald is not exclusive. 10 Heroes is a lot of content which will provide years of fresh gameplay. (and I mean years considering the existing 120 card quests and 30 or so story quests and a play session is 3-5 quests)

Also, when you break down MYTH as a minis game, it is really a centralized vs decentralized model. Other miniature-based gaming expect players to furnish their own stuff. which means the cost for a 5 player game is split evenly across 5 players. This is a DungeonMaster type model. One person furnishes the bestiary, one person owns hundreds of monsters. That scares people, but in the RPG realm, it is quite common. Some people play RPGs others host them, and that host usually provides almost all the materials. The best solution is to get a group to group buy it.

This all is not what board gamers expect, so it weirds them out. As a mini gamer and a dungeon master, I have zero compultion or need to 'own it all' and a totally fine acquiring new content in bite-sized chunks as we play it. Board Gamers have a 'gotta catch them all' or it goes in the trash. Literally, someone couldn't get a single exclusive and got rid of everything for a game in another forum.

MYTH makes a fun game if you can resist tendencies that collectors have. You can play for months on the core box + 10/2 skeles and have a great time. If you are a gaming group which plays bunches of games, that is all one might ever need or want from MYTH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
... and BGG deletion strikes again.

Thumbs to the above comments. Hope you guys convinced him.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When deleting a post, there really needs to be a large disclaimer about how confusing it is if you delete a post and the comments are still there. Maybe even a polite request to edit your post instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
proclaimed wrote:
When deleting a post, there really needs to be a large disclaimer about how confusing it is if you delete a post and the comments are still there. Maybe even a polite request to edit your post instead.

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Cheney
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Judy, The problem with getting the Minion +All-in bundles, is what sparked the whole thought of selling. I just don't have the funds and I know I will feel burned on losing out on a round of exclusives and having to wait for the next kickstarter to even potentially have a shot at them again. It's a hamster wheel that I didn't really want to play on.

I don't hate all exclusives. If the Spriggan were just an exclusive sculpt for a druid that would be coming to retail later. I would be all for it. If Lucy were just an alternate model of something also coming to retail, perfection.

Alternate Sculpts, Alternate Artwork. Anything that doesn't change or add game play, I think is perfect for exclusivity.

I have introduced several people to the game, who have gone on to purchase who were then very disappointed to find that they couldn't play as the tinker, or the spriggan. So does that mean I shouldn't play with the tinker or spriggan either so that new players and potential new sales for myth and new devotees/acolytes of the game don't know they exist and get disappointed when they can't play as them? That is where I find it difficult to support Myth on the Ethical side of things.

Otherwise, While Myth might be my favorite of it's type. It is not my household's. That belongs to Super Dungeon Explore. It's my second favorite for some odd reason. But my daughters' and wifes' favorite. (I don't myth even charts for them sadly) SDE doesn't have the exclusivity problem Myth does. So my initial thoughts were if I were to liquidate myth I could just focus on the one game (SDE:Legends will be launch its KS soon)

Now after going through my box and look at what I have and look at the pledge manager I have to ask.. can I put my kidney on the BGG marketplace?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough spot to be in,.... But I'd never recommend that anyone buy into a game that they are not having fun with,.... Or even one that you really enjoy, but can't get plays on.

If you don't get any enjoyment from owning it,. Sell it and move on,... There seem to be many itching to get in.

Are there really no KS exclusives with SDE?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
yamato2 wrote:
Are there really no KS exclusives with SDE?

There weren't with the Forgotten King KS:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/super...

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffydeath wrote:
Judy, The problem with getting the Minion +All-in bundles, is what sparked the whole thought of selling. I just don't have the funds and I know I will feel burned on losing out on a round of exclusives and having to wait for the next kickstarter to even potentially have a shot at them again. It's a hamster wheel that I didn't really want to play on.

I don't hate all exclusives. If the Spriggan were just an exclusive sculpt for a druid that would be coming to retail later. I would be all for it. If Lucy were just an alternate model of something also coming to retail, perfection.

Alternate Sculpts, Alternate Artwork. Anything that doesn't change or add game play, I think is perfect for exclusivity.

I have introduced several people to the game, who have gone on to purchase who were then very disappointed to find that they couldn't play as the tinker, or the spriggan. So does that mean I shouldn't play with the tinker or spriggan either so that new players and potential new sales for myth and new devotees/acolytes of the game don't know they exist and get disappointed when they can't play as them? That is where I find it difficult to support Myth on the Ethical side of things.

Otherwise, While Myth might be my favorite of it's type. It is not my household's. That belongs to Super Dungeon Explore. It's my second favorite for some odd reason. But my daughters' and wifes' favorite. (I don't myth even charts for them sadly) SDE doesn't have the exclusivity problem Myth does. So my initial thoughts were if I were to liquidate myth I could just focus on the one game (SDE:Legends will be launch its KS soon)

Now after going through my box and look at what I have and look at the pledge manager I have to ask.. can I put my kidney on the BGG marketplace?

I know what you mean. Adding in the All In Modules (which is so tempting because it meshes with most of the stretch goals--which then fulfill the modules) and estimated shipping, was almost twice the amount I had saved and set aside, naively thinking I'd have enough, plus a bit for extras.

But, like I wrote above, there is an awful lot of gameplay in the Captain's Pledge and just playing the game at the base Novice level, if you just get all the updated cards for your KS 1 pledge (you need to contact Nikki -- see the last several Journeyman KS updates for details).

(And maybe the Journeyman upgrade for the Trickster and the Spriggan and if you are really worried about them being exclusive and not being able to get them later.)

So, instead of getting rid of the game, just get the updated cards, and keep enjoying the game you already own (with all the cool KS1 stretch goals), and don't worry about the expansions and any other stretch goals and modules in this later (or any future) Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
do we have any idea how much shipping is going to be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
B Wumpus wrote:

Not officially, but you can go to USPS or whatever and get a quote for a big ole package to get a guess... I'd say about 20-30 bucks to continental US, based on what I expect weight and size to be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Granite26 wrote:
B Wumpus wrote:

Not officially, but you can go to USPS or whatever and get a quote for a big ole package to get a guess... I'd say about 20-30 bucks to continental US, based on what I expect weight and size to be...

Of course they are not doing the distribution themselves this time - makes me wonder if they are passing the distribution costs onto backers in the form of a "handling" fee blended into the cost for actual shipping. Just wondering out loud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSgt Keats
msg tools
Mistermannindy wrote:
Granite26 wrote:
B Wumpus wrote:

Of course they are not doing the distribution themselves this time - makes me wonder if they are passing the distribution costs onto backers in the form of a "handling" fee blended into the cost for actual shipping. Just wondering out loud.

So long as this fee isn't more than a few bucks per pledge it is fine with me. There are only like 6 employees there to handle fulfillment and this would take a lot of stress off of them. I just wish it was possible to get estimated costs before people over commit themselves to buying 15 of everything and then have to sell their house to pay for shipping, only to find out that MCG will not ship cardboard boxes to cardboard box addresses. Conflict of interest due to your box of Myth being bigger than your cardboard house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TSgtKeats wrote:
So long as this fee isn't more than a few bucks per pledge it is fine with me. There are only like 6 employees there to handle fulfillment and this would take a lot of stress off of them.

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.