Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The case is a lone cavalry unit that chooses to retire before battle.

*Does the attacking force get to advance into the vacated hex?

[The rules are a little ambiguous here, but I'd say yes.]

*Does the attacking force become fatigued?

[I'd say no, since they did not "shoot", but the rules don't spell it out.]

*Does the attacking force earn 1/2 a victory point for advancing into the vacated hex?

[This is the real question. The rules are very unclear on this. Historically, I think the answer must be no, but a strong argument can be made that the rules contemplate the opposite.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all you said above, Jon.

You can occupy a hex that cavalry retreats from, the attackers do not become fatigued from such an action, and I'm not sure whether to award the 1/2 VP for the engagement.

When we were playing this great game more regularly, I think we agreed that it did count as a battle for VP purposes... but I could be mistaken. I think it seemed that if an army takes the action to start a battle, it should be rewarded if it takes the hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dan. I was playing the Union, so from my perspective awarding the 1/2 VP against retreating cav made it very costly to use it in a pure recon and screening role. My opponent racked up 5 VPs over the first half of the game like that. At that rate, there wasn't much incentive--based on the victory conditions, anyway--for Bobby Lee to strike North.

I also have some questions about the victory conditions, but I'll probably start a general thread about those.

Am I correct that there is no thread for this on CSW? We might have to fix that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan R. wrote:

When we were playing this great game more regularly, I think we agreed that it did count as a battle for VP purposes... but I could be mistaken. I think it seemed that if an army takes the action to start a battle, it should be rewarded if it takes the hex.

I thought we *didn't* award the half VP, under the assumption no engagement occurred so no battle honors accrued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was kind of my thinking, JR. But it is a game changer one way or the other, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.... that does sound right, now that you mention it!

Forget what I remembered, Jon! No 1/2 VP for pushing lone horse units without an actual battle!

At the end of the day, the game is ABOUT cavalry recon. Players shouldn't be discouraged from scouting because their scouts are enemy VP factories...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree. I can't think of another game--ACW or otherwise, that shows cav this well. I'm really looking forward to some more plays of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.