Arcadia Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Life Drain and canceled hits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan R

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Life Drain: Each hit heals 1 Wound from this hero.

Attack Results, p. 17: Each save cancels one hit.

Do the canceled hits still heal the attacking hero? I mean, if they are canceled, they don't count as hits, do they? That's what "canceled" means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Ulloa Velderrain
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Once all dice have been rolled, compare the number of hits
scored by the attacker with the number of saves obtained by
the target’s Defense (if he had any). Each save cancels one hit.
If there are still any hits remaining, the target suffers a number
of Wounds equal to the number of exceeding hits. Place that
number of Wound tokens on the targeted Hero’s card, or in case
of a Monster, next to its figure"

What I understand is that if the card or ability says "hits" then yes, if it says "wounds" then no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Ulloa Velderrain
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?59216
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Gorzek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the target even need to roll defense dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shifty203 1
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SavageSpawn wrote:
Does the target even need to roll defense dice?

Of course. While the attacker gets to heal just off the hits, you still want to roll defense dice to prevent wounds to the defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see now that other abilities trigger off of "Wounds," and that does make all the difference. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the text says that each save cancels one hit. If a hit is canceled, then it no longer exists, correct?

So if I roll 2 hits, and my opponent rolls one save, that leaves me with only one remaining hit. The other hit is canceled.

Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snotwalker wrote:
But the text says that each save cancels one hit. If a hit is canceled, then it no longer exists, correct?

So if I roll 2 hits, and my opponent rolls one save, that leaves me with only one remaining hit. The other hit is canceled.

Am I missing something?

I see where you are coming from.

I think that the interpretation has come from the fact that most cards say "Wound" instead of "Hit". Since Life Drain says "Hit" it has been generally accepted that you heal based on Hits before Defense dice are rolled. To be honest, I had forgotten that the rules say a Defense roll "cancels" a hit. I guess that somebody could argue that the cancelling only applies to dealing wounds, not the number of hits that you rolled.

If Life Drain only allows you to heal from Wounds, then it is pretty worthless. It is barely usable as it is. I will continue to play it as hits "pre-defense".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Childress
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing that you heal based on on the number of hits rolled in the attack, pre-defense, as well. However, thematically it doesn't seem to make sense to call the card Life Drain if the defender doesn't have to suffer any wounds for the attacker to heal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branden Sprenger
United States
Collinsville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So even if the defender takes no wounds at all, Life Drain still recovers life for the attacker. I realize this is magic but where are these life points coming from?

I think we will keep our house rule for this triggering on the defender taking wounds. 1 for 1.

"Magic always has a price, deary" - Rumpelstiltskin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have been using lifedrain based on hits rolled before defense, and i must say it doesnt feel overpowered given how the game plays.

even full health heroes tend to die quickly in single attacks given their relative low life when the attacker rolls a few criticals, so while lifedrain removes the few wounds from attacks you can survive you still have a big chance to die from the next attack.

certainly later on when high-damage weapons/high-level monsters start appearing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did we get any official word on this? Hit cancellation seems pretty clear in the rules, but everybody seems to think it's the opposite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
Did we get any official word on this? Hit cancellation seems pretty clear in the rules, but everybody seems to think it's the opposite?

Check out the post from Thiago in this thread.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1255052/life-drain-heals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It still isn't as explicit as I'd like, as the question he's answering refers to Payback, not saving rolls. Just so odd that it is claimed that cancelling a hit doesn't cancel a hit...why not say it cancels a Wound?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
Thanks. It still isn't as explicit as I'd like, as the question he's answering refers to Payback, not saving rolls. Just so odd that it is claimed that cancelling a hit doesn't cancel a hit...why not say it cancels a Wound?

I think the point is Life Drain heals instantly upon the Hit no matter what happens to the Hit after that. Beyond that you'll have to argue rules text and definitions with Thiago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.