Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph Prenner
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I now followed mostly all greater than games Kickstarter and their homebrewed crowed funding campaigns and they all had one in common: Ridicules shipping costs to the rest of the world (incl Europe).

Is this ignorance or just pure unwillingness to research a bit into this topic? There are tons of articles about Kickstarter and reasonable shipping on the internet. It can't be that hard to figure out a better way than FedEx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly don't speak for them, but I recall something along the lines of previously using other shipping methods and being unsatisfied with poor reliability. Essentially, FedEx might cost a little more, but it was getting the packages where they were supposed to go in a timely manner.

One way to save on shipping is to pool together with a few people in your area and order several copies as a group. The shipping rate is flat no matter how many copies are ordered. I believe there are a couple of threads already created here and on the >G forums to organize such purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Wien / Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can see, shipping rates to non-US destinations have been going up across the board. I would guess that the bulk of the backers are from the US, which would gives more leverage to a game company to find good deals from US fulfilment agencies. Elsewhere, that leverage is much more limited as there will be more delivery pieces in the pie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Prenner
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I am super lucky but so far I had not a shipping issue with any other kickstarter with cheaper shipping. Furthermore another ks send me their card game (300+ cards) as well with FedEx and there the shipping did not cost me $35 (it was $25).

However no one can deny that most of the other ks campains out there are shipping there stuff to Europe with shipping cost between $15-25.

Yes I think they stated "previously using other shipping methods and being unsatisfied with poor reliability" in some blog entry on the website. But I cannot recall any other of there ks campaignes where they did not used FedEx for shipping to Europe. So I am not sure where this bad experiance comes from.

Anyway especially this shipping topic has changed a lot in the last 2 years. I really think it is time for GreaterThanGames to consider to take a second look into this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Mendes
Portugal
Santarem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidcoleman wrote:
From what I can see, shipping rates to non-US destinations have been going up across the board. I would guess that the bulk of the backers are from the US, which would gives more leverage to a game company to find good deals from US fulfilment agencies. Elsewhere, that leverage is much more limited as there will be more delivery pieces in the pie.

Well shipping cost might make non-US people not to back.

One of the things that really make me back off a KS is the shipping costs. I don't mind to get the game a few months from now even without some minor things that KS gives you.

Paying almost (and sometimes above) half the price of the game isn't acceptable for me if the destination isn't a country with problematic shipping issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Wien / Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Balrogas wrote:
davidcoleman wrote:

Well shipping cost might make non-US people not to back.

One of the things that really make me back off a KS is the shipping costs. I don't mind to get the game a few months from now even without some minor things that KS gives you.

Paying almost (and sometimes above) half the price of the game isn't acceptable for me if the destination isn't a country with problematic shipping issues.

Its absolutely true that the shipping cost might stop non-US people from backing, and it is always a risk for a games company. Before my recent move, I lived in New Zealand which pretty much always has the most expensive shipping costs. And yes, I cannot deny that it has some bearing on my decisions to back or not. There, we often used group buys to reduce the cost overall. This campaign does feature group buy options, which I think means that they are trying to mitigate the cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree. After backing several campaigns with great shipping to China, I'm really disappointed that a better solution couldn't be found. I understand the game will have some heft... but at the same time, I'm not sure it's hefty enough to justify the costs that other projects mitigate quite well.

I did send a message and was told they are checking their options, so I hope they can find a solution for us Rest of Worlders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the shipping on this game makes me not even consider to pledge, plain and simple. And I am sure many european potential backers will feel the same. I don't really buy the "can't be done cheaper", either. There are far too many kickstarters running where european backers get much more reasonable shipping rates (around 15-20 if it is a big game and produced outside the EU seem to be the norm, with lots of KS going even lower), which makes me assume plain lazyness on the side of the producer if I see something like 35 for shipping to the EU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think what some people don't keep in mind is that a lot of Kickstarters lose money just in shipping out physical products. So while you may get cheaper rates from other campaigns for individual pledges it also meant that the company had lost money for every shipment overseas. Like others have said I would look to group buys if you are want to pledge towards the game now. Otherwise I'd say you'll need to wait for it at a FLGS or order through another store online to possibly get cheaper shipping. However, depending upon if the expansion stretch goal is reached you may not be saving yourself much money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Prenner
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonvar wrote:
i think what some people don't keep in mind is that a lot of Kickstarters lose money just in shipping out physical products. So while you may get cheaper rates from other campaigns for individual pledges it also meant that the company had lost money for every shipment overseas.

If one or two ks campaigns would over dumping shipping costs to Europe than I would believe this but GreaterThanGames is one of the few (maybe the only one) who aren’t offering reasonable shipping.

Sonvar wrote:
Otherwise I'd say you'll need to wait for it at a FLGS or order through another store online to possibly get cheaper shipping.

And that is the next thing what bugs me. All their games end up at my FLGS without the huge shipping costs. I am pretty sure in the end it will cost €49. And I don't think it ends up there via FedEx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea about methods various companies use for Kickstarters, but this part is easy to explain:
gattsu wrote:
All their games end up at my FLGS without the huge shipping costs. I am pretty sure in the end it will cost €49. And I don't think it ends up there via FedEx.
Yes, of course, and this is due to economies of scale. Freight shipping is a really efficient way to get things from point A to point B, but it takes a while and you need to move a lot of stuff at the same time. The usual board game distribution channels are very good at optimizing this. So, yes, that's much more efficient than FedEx, but it's also not practical in a Kickstarter, where many packages are going to many different people.

(There's also the tax situation for shipments to Europe, which I totally don't understand. Somehow shipments to individual customers sometimes end up getting hit with a tax, while large shipments to a game distributor don't??)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at some other current projects, about 10 projects,for board games I don't see what GtG is charging for shipping to be unreasonable. GtG offers group buy which none of the projects I've looked at even list as a choice. With group buy shipping can get very cheap for people to just grab from a central location. The cheapest shipping to UK and EU I found was on project that would be shipping from within the UK to begin with. Buying from your FLGS will always save you on shipping costs as local retailers don't typically charge customers for that. If you want to wait to pick this up at your FLGS that's your choice but I don't find the shipping costs to be egregious for their KS. Bottom line, the cost is not likely to change before the project is over and if you don't want to spend your money on it that is your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two folks from Vienna commenting on this thread; I don't know if there's something to be arranged there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Wien / Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
There are two folks from Vienna commenting on this thread; I don't know if there's something to be arranged there.

Yeah, I've noted that. I only moved here three months ago and I am still finding my feet. I am yet to make a decision on Spirit Island, but I have thought about a group buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keith
Canada
flag msg tools
It's absolutely complete ignorance. The Conan board game's shipping costs are $39 to Japan, and that game is huge and heavy as shyte. This game is $50. WTF are they thinking? I'm super interested in this game, but I'm not paying 7000 yen for shipping. That's phucking crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Does anyone know if shipping policies have been revisited? Otherwise, just going to wait for reviews/retail...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing so far. I'm sure they'll be quick to update if they do find something better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.