Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Fisher
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alot of the railroad cards say "first person to connect" or "first person to deliver". Is this meant to be after the card is turned over? Or are we to remember who the first to make a connection or deliver a good is before the cards are flipped over? IE, in a 2 player game, my wife and I both will connect NY and CHI, but the card isn't over yet, but when it does come up do we just have to remember who did it first? Likewise, I could deliver a cube to Duluth at the beginning of the game, and 10 rounds later, the "first person to deliver to Duluth" card could come up. Would that be the first person after the card or the first person in the game?
thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the "first person to..." is referring to AFTER a card is put into play and then a player meets the requirements (you don't get the bonus if you did the action before the card came into effect therefore you DON't have to memorize who did it "first".)

Hope that makes sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Fisher
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what happens with the "first person to connect NY to CHI" at that point, as it has already been done, so you can't reconnect it?
thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If only one player has connected NY and CHI when the card shows up, that player gets the bonus. If both players have made the connection, neither gets the bonus and the card is discarded (but not replaced). So, you never have to remember who did it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
tomfisher wrote:
Alot of the railroad cards say "first person to connect" or "first person to deliver". Is this meant to be after the card is turned over? Or are we to remember who the first to make a connection or deliver a good is before the cards are flipped over? IE, in a 2 player game, my wife and I both will connect NY and CHI, but the card isn't over yet, but when it does come up do we just have to remember who did it first?

Also it should be noted that to get the bonus for connecting NY to CHI, or any other connection card, you must have a continuous route of your track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:
I believe the "first person to..." is referring to AFTER a card is put into play and then a player meets the requirements (you don't get the bonus if you did the action before the card came into effect therefore you DON't have to memorize who did it "first".)

Hope that makes sense!

We play this almost exactly as you say, but would add

First person to....
after card is put in play....
and condition is met....
on the player's turn

Therefore, if you've already made a connection, we play you still get the bonus. Since most of us have played more than once, we keep this in mind that certain cards may come up at any time. There aren't that many of them so it's not a big deal to keep them in mind. I can only think of a couple cards where you might connect them without the bonus being there.

Therefore in the unusual case that two players have met the condition, they would have to win the auction. This is a nice rule because it kind of nulifies the card. If for example, a route is worth 8000 to both players, they're going to bid it up.

I believe the eaglegames website is still up and attended to, so you could try posting the question there to get an official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very simple, no memory required.

On "Service Bounties" it goes to the first player to make the delivery after the card is turned up.

On "Major Lines" there are 3 possibilities when the card come out: 1) no one has yet made the required connection, the bonus goes to the first player to do so later, 2) one player has already made the necessary connection, he gets the bonus as he is obviously the first to complete it, 3) more then one player has already completed the conection, and just like in tied Tycoon bonuses, no-on gets the points as there is no memory of who was first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.