Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald Villaver
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just love MtG, and even love Heroscape even more. When the two met, there was so much excitement especially at the timing of today's modern board game designs. Things like Battle Lore, Mice and Mystics, Imperial Assault and Kemet push the boundaries of miniature battles.

The system is still at its core Heroscape and while that is a beautiful system, many innovations have long been enjoyed since its departure.

Call me stubborn, but I really want to feel the Planeswalkers to be powerful, intelligent and magnificent beings running amok on the landscape. I felt that they should have more control of the outcomes of battle even if life is never fair, they should be a cut above the rest because of the spark!

So here's my take on an addition to the game that you may hate or enjoy. Its a work in progress and if you guys are interested to help out and make it balanced and flourish, you would be most welcome and appreciated.

The Spark

When a player rolls any blank face in their dice rolls during their planeswalker's turn, it generates a "Spark" token. A planeswalker can't gain more than one spark per turn. The unseen element that makes the Planeswalkers different them from the rest, the invisible matter that influences their fate better than normal mages.

What can a Spark token do?

The planeswalker can choose to spend their Spark power once per turn. They can't activate their spark more than once that turn. The spark powers bend the very fabric of space and reality it consumes much of the planeswalker's focus.

Spend 1 Spark: Reroll all your dice.
Spend 1 Spark: Change 1 dice to the face you wish.
Spend 1 Spark: Returns 20 points worth of a squad figure they own from the graveyard to the army card of that figure. These can be pooled. So return 5 Sparks can return 100 pts worth of figures back onto their army card ready for the Planeswalker to summon.
Spend 5 Sparks: Return a Spell you own from your graveyard back to your hand.

I'm really interested in what you guys think. Use those lightning tokens from King of Tokyo if you want to represent the "sparks" or any token you have to spare. This hopefully adds a dash of "euro" flavor to this awesome Americlass game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Villaver
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice mitigation was inspired from the board game Parfum and the Spark idea came from the Cheese of Mice and Mystics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Villaver
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The come into play effects are triggered again and was intentional. Hopefully to provide some boost to the game's balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the last ability, where are the figures returned from? Battlefield or graveyard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Villaver
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Regarding the last ability, where are the figures returned from? Battlefield or graveyard?

Returned from the graveyard to the army card of that figure. Ready for summoning by the activated planeswalker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Villaver
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've removed the ability to use Sparks to return cards at the moment as they are really quite powerful and can tip the balance dramatically. Could be revisited in the future given more card options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Palacio
United States
suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This spark idea(better quality roll opportunities)

A minimum/maximum range damage

and line of sight should be the points to improve/modify to make game interesting, at least IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Villaver
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gotten55 wrote:
This spark idea(better quality roll opportunities)

A minimum/maximum range damage

and line of sight should be the points to improve/modify to make game interesting, at least IMO.

I think the purpose of the line of sight is coming from the ideology that the figures you see represent armies and not necessarily a single unit. With that in mind, it leans towards more battlefield type systems.

For the damage minimum or maximum, that can be mitigated with the 2nd spark power to a certain degree.

I like how you dont move all units from your side in one go. Positioning tends to focus on keeping your options flexible rather than offensively amassing in one front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marten Dollinger
msg tools
I think this could be balanced as long as you only get spark counters when you roll on the walker's turn, and you could only spend them once per turn, i.e., either reroll all of one roll or change one die, but not both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marten Dollinger
msg tools
3 spark counters: put a spell card from your spell graveyard on the bottom of your library
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marten Dollinger
msg tools
Okay, going crazy with this idea, but walkers could get individual powers too.

-2 spark:
Nissa: gain disengage until EoT
Chandra: deal 1 damage to a figure
Jace: draw a card
Gideon: detain a figure (or squad creature, detaining a walker could be OP)
Liliana: deal 1 damage to and adjacent figure and remove one damage counter from herself, or maybe summon a 2/1 skeleton on a space where a creature was killed this turn. Skeletons would act on Lily's turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Smith
msg tools
Needs a higher currency for "sparks." It would be a really huge resource and perhaps -1 just one spark is to much. Maybe -5 wouldn't be so bad. It is a big change to the game mechanics and perhaps a softer approach is best. Otherwise it might sway to power gaming quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the idea is amazing, but the costs are too low.
1 spark for 1 reroll is hugely game changing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marten Dollinger
msg tools
even if you only get them for blank die rolls on a planeswalker's turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Villaver
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ofMars87 wrote:
I think this could be balanced as long as you only get spark counters when you roll on the walker's turn, and you could only spend them once per turn, i.e., either reroll all of one roll or change one die, but not both

Its a good idea to keep it on the planeswalker's turn. It does make more thematic sense as well. This would also limit the generation of sparks.

Another way is to cap the generation of the spark. To max (1) per turn regardless of the number of blank faces. People can decide to use their re-roll at that moment or to save them for later turns. It will no longer produce sparks on the reroll.

I like the idea of future powers, but I was hoping to add as little rules as possible to the game so its easy to bolt in.

Still even if the generation is capped once per turn. It can be fairly prevalent still. I do want the spark to feel powerful and to bring back more awesomeness to the planeswalker. So like their ability in the card game, another suggestion is they can only choose to activate their spark once. So it does not matter its a low cost, its a critical spark that they choose to spend the right moment they see fit.

The Spark

When a player rolls any blank face in their dice rolls during their planeswalker's turn, it generates a "Spark" token. A planeswalker can't gain more than one spark per turn. The unseen element that makes the Planeswalkers different them from the rest, the invisible matter that influences their fate better than normal mages.

What can a Spark token do?

The planeswalker can choose to spend their Spark power once per turn. They can't activate their spark more than once that turn. The spark powers bend the very fabric of space and reality it consumes much of the planeswalker's focus.

Spend 1 Spark: Reroll all your dice.
Spend 1 Spark: Change 1 dice to the face you wish.
Spend 1 Spark: Returns 20 points worth of a squad figure they own from the graveyard to the army card of that figure. These can be pooled. So return 5 Sparks can return 100 pts worth of figures back onto their army card ready for the Planeswalker to summon.
Spend 5 Sparks: Return a Spell you own from your graveyard back to your hand.

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all interesting ideas, but it's different from how I think of the spark. I saw it mostly as what allows them to planeswalk. Imagine if you could somehow get out of danger like how the origin stories describe. Of course, if you were going to teleport or something, you'd probably still take leaving engagement attacks just like in the Chain Veil Garruk story, where he asks the other planeswalker, "How fast can you planeswalk?" [Chops his head off.] "Hmph. Not fast enough."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Villaver
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Spark itself is technically just "one" per planeswalker. The way the spark here is referred to as manifestations of their power. Spark Tokens

So for example in your example the manifestation of the spark was when both planeswalkers mechanically rolled their dice, opponent rolls the exact number of shields! To bad as one had that extra saved up spark tokens to flip their one die to push their damage for the win. To which they can say, Hmph. Not fast enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Villaver
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like there was some effect to our discussions here. The newest core set released added mechanisms that relate to the blank faces. Hopefully we see more and more of those in future sets. It's still a great game, and hopefully will be even better in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.