Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Sautter
France
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So here we have it folks, the last article. After this one you should be fully prepared for our adventures through The 7th Continent. Well, as prepared as one can be to travel through a land of Jules Verne-esque wonders and Lovecraftian horrors.

Last time we talked about how you could make things easier for yourself by using your experience points to acquire more powerful idea cards and how working together could save you a lot of effort.

In this last text, we’ll be looking at another way to make your journeys through The 7th Continent easier: Observing your surroundings (which is a fancy way of saying look at the cards!).

SETTING THE SCENE

First of all, some numbered cards will come with some flavor text on the back. This isn’t just to set the mood or give you a better idea of the atmosphere but it also includes some pretty substantial clues as to the nature of certain actions on the card’s other side.

So…. That seagull COULD be a tasty snack and help you get some action cards back from your discard pile BUT... What killed it? Was it that smoke? Or was it something else? Also, that seaweed... Is it weird that it’s the only plant life in this area? You’ll have to use these clues and what you see on the other side of the card to gauge what’s interesting and what’s dangerous.

LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP

So we know all about the back of the card but what about the front?

That’s where the real fun begins! These cards are jammed full of information. Generally, if you want to know the nature of an action, you can get an idea from what’s shown in its surroundings. Take a look at the "spot/detect" action for example (012).

Just next to it, we can see animal tracks, so we can safely say that the action will involve observing animals BUT are these docile creatures you can easily hunt for sustenance or are they something that’s going to put up a bit more of a fight? Only one way to find out!

Now the card doesn’t only contain info on what’s in that area but you can also glimpse some hints of what awaits you further ahead with some careful observation. Remember the red seaweed the card mentioned above? Well we can see that there’s some here too but no actions located around it so we can safely say that, even though we don’t know what it does (well I do but you don’t!), there will be some on the next card. In this zone, bamboo is an available resource but on the surrounding cards we may see some shoots which suggest that it will be present on this card. If you enter into a new area and you can see a bit of snow on the ground in a certain direction, you shouldn’t be surprised if things get a bit chilly in the next area.

ADVENTURES UNHEARD OF

Finally, we have the hidden numbers… If you’ve read the old Adventure books you may know all about these. If you don’t then never fear, they were quite a well guarded secret. In any case, we had to have them in The 7th Continent! Keep an eye out for these,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
there’s one on the card above that is a good example but, be aware, they are generally a lot trickier to find than this one.

When you find a hidden number, you simply replace the card you discovered it on, bearing in mind that it could be a Terrain card or an Event card, with the card corresponding to the number shown. This new card may propose a new action to perform, or something else. But whatever it is it will always be related to the card where you found the hidden number.

Oh, and don’t forget: curiosity killed the cat. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

THE MORE YOU KNOW...

Finally, see that blue/green bush on the map card above? That’s no there by chance either. Your Shoulder bag doesn’t just hold you inventory, but also your journal. As you move through the game you may make some interesting discoveries about the plant life and other elements you find throughout the continent.

For example, once you’ve discovered it, this card allows you to easily build a fire on a terrain with one of these bushes. Each specimen can have multiple uses so never turn down the chance to broaden your knowledge and always remember that these bushes won’t be specifically indicated on the card, you’ll have to spot them for yourself!

THE ADVENTURE BEGINS!

And there you have it folks, you are now ready for your big adventure, but, before I go, here’s some information you’re going to need to start that adventure:

Be there or be square.

Thank you for reading these articles, I hope you had as much fun reading them as I did writing them.

Have fun and good luck with your adventures through this epic game!

Source: http://www.trictrac.net/news/the-7th-continent-look-before-y...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoke, burned soil, and red seaweed?

I'm detecting a little HG Wells mixed in with the Verne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the first time "Lovecraftian Horrors" has been mentioned, or am I completely blind?

Either way, that one phrase has killed the excitement of 7th Continent for me. Cthulhu is played out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Kissling
Switzerland
Olten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I dont think they ment to have cthulhu in it. They just wanted to give an idea of the ambience...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Anzaldo
Mexico
Mexico
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope that in the design of the KS campaign they link all these posts from BGG. They really add to the info of the game. Well written and really convey the rules and playing of the game.

Really excited about this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeGnerd wrote:
Is this the first time "Lovecraftian Horrors" has been mentioned, or am I completely blind?

Either way, that one phrase has killed the excitement of 7th Continent for me. Cthulhu is played out.

Yeah, because Cthulhu is all Lovecraft ever wrote about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeGnerd wrote:

you did notice the "Serious Poulp" emblem.... right ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which EST is that KS kickoff referring to; North America or Australia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
North America. So it will be at noon in California, 3PM in New York, 8 PM in London, 9 PM in Paris and 5 AM (on the 30th) in Sidney.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeGnerd wrote:
Zombies would do the same to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:
North America. So it will be at noon in California, 3PM in New York, 8 PM in London, 9 PM in Paris and 5 AM (on the 30th) in Sidney.

Great, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:
CoffeeGnerd wrote:
Zombies would do the same to me...

Romero zombies would definitely feel out of place in a Verne inspired adventure game. Haitian juju zombies... now we're talking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
hugolefou wrote:
Yeah, because Cthulhu is all Lovecraft ever wrote about.

"Cthulhu mythos" is the general term for everything Lovecraft ever wrote about. Well, the stuff he wrote about that people actually reference that is. And it is played out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Hand on heart, there is no Cthulhu in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:

Argh, now you have spoiled it...

Only the not really given promise of Cthulhu being in this game had me so excited about this...
any chance of having Nyarlathotep then...
or a tiny Mi-Go perhaps...
goo

Just kidding, in case one did not realize
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:

Pheeewww !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Loving this so much, you guys. Thank you for the journal entries, they have been fun and informative.

Can't wait to back it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:

This game needs zombies. And minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be early birds? Checking whether I have to be there when the campaign starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
This game needs zombies. And minis.

I may be able to do ONE of those.

Wetworks wrote:
Will there be early birds? Checking whether I have to be there when the campaign starts.

As with most campaigns, there will be EBs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:
As with most campaigns, there will be EBs.

As with most campaigns, we want to piss off as many people as possible by letting 500-1000 of your most diehard fans who have been waiting months scalpers who camp on Kickstarter a cheaper price so they can resell the game with exclusives to latecoming fans at an insanely inflated price.

I thought all this early well-done hype was too bypass the need for an early bird to "jump start" interest in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge B
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Er... well, but why not
stevelabny wrote:

(...) letting 500-1000 of your most diehard fans who have been waiting months scalpers and camp on Kickstarter a cheaper price.

instead. I don't really understand the automatic association with "ebay scalpers". I have no special love for EBs, but I have really nothing against them either, as long as there isn't a huge disparity. Hey, some guys got a slightly better deal than I by camping on the KS site and continuously hitting F5. Good for them.
Exclusive stuff annoys me a LOT more (to the point of abandoning pledges and never looking back)), because it arbitrarily excludes future players, that for some reason did not back the original KS, from having access to all the gameplay elements, even if they are willing to pay for it, just for fueling some wierd "I'm a very special and important KS backer person, so this is mine, and you can't NEVER EVER have it. Your game is forever incomplete and it sucks to be you, so I feel very smug and happy indeed!" feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like time-based early birds (e.g. first 48 hours) a lot more than slot-based EBs. They basically keep all the good things about launching the campaign fast, and eliminate all that "they'll be gone in 3 minutes, gotta keep refreshing" aspect.

Too bad Kickstarter makes the slot-based ones so much easier to implement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad i was already mentally preparing to miss out on an early bird.

:(

Fwiw, i also dont think you need early birds on this campaign... It sounds more like a way to alienate your fan base than necessary for your success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.