Subject: Companions, Weapons Refreshing/Upkeep rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nadim Alam
United Kingdom
Streatham
London
flag msg tools
Two rules that don't quite make sense to me, please can you clarify.

Companions have special abilities, they can be exhausted (used up). I think you can only use one companions ability once per round, then turn sideways and wait for upkeep?

If the card shows "Upkeep: Refresh", does that mean you can make it un-exhausted without having to roll for anything?

Secondly, Taking a weapon as an example. When you use it once, you exhaust it. So this means that you shouldn't be able to use it again right until you refresh it in Upkeep phase, exactly the same as how the companions work?

I think i read somewhere that you can carry on using the tommy gun in same round even after its exhausted? That doesn't quite make sense, why is it different for both companions and weapons? Surely, exhausting means that its out of ammo and needs to reload in upkeep to be used again?

Lastly, can someone briefly explain character abilities. Some are infinite, does that mean they are active all the time? Secondly, some have a use of 2 times. Does this require an action to perform and do these special abilities get refreshed in upkeep? or how can i regain them?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If an ability on a card is preceded with the "rotate" symbol or "Turn:", you must be able to rotate the card to use the ability. Once rotated, that ability on that card is "tapped" or "exhausted" and can't be used again until Refreshed during the Upkeep step of the Tomb Phase.

For Dexterity weapons that have a Refresh check, you are encouraged to rotate the card after first using it to remind yourself to perform the Upkeep check during the Tomb Phase. However, Dexterity weapons are not "exhausted" by rotating them, meaning you can continue to use them. Thematically, you are blasting away with your weapon throughout the round, then you find out in the Upkeep step if you ran out of ammo (i.e. failed the Upkeep check).

Character abilities with the infinite symbol can be used again and again throughout the game. If the ability text starts with "Action:", you must spend an action to perform the ability. Otherwise, it's a free ability to use on your own turn.

Abilities with a limited number of uses are tracked using the small yellow circle tokens. When you use that ability, discard a token. Once all tokens for that ability have been discarded, you no longer may use that ability. Choose wisely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NADIMALAM wrote:
Two rules that don't quite make sense to me, please can you clarify.

Companions have special abilities, they can be exhausted (used up). I think you can only use one companions ability once per round, then turn sideways and wait for upkeep?

If the card shows "Upkeep: Refresh", does that mean you can make it un-exhausted without having to roll for anything?

Secondly, Taking a weapon as an example. When you use it once, you exhaust it. So this means that you shouldn't be able to use it again right until you refresh it in Upkeep phase, exactly the same as how the companions work?

I think i read somewhere that you can carry on using the tommy gun in same round even after its exhausted? That doesn't quite make sense, why is it different for both companions and weapons? Surely, exhausting means that its out of ammo and needs to reload in upkeep to be used again?

Lastly, can someone briefly explain character abilities. Some are infinite, does that mean they are active all the time? Secondly, some have a use of 2 times. Does this require an action to perform and do these special abilities get refreshed in upkeep? or how can i regain them?

Thanks!

Hey Nadim!

Matt is correct on all counts there!

We definitely agree and realize now that our editor's suggestion of using the term Exhausted or Exhaust was the incorrect way to describe Turning it sideways to show that it's been Used! We definitely want to have that changed in the rules later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to add this clarification to the existing FAQ for now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadim Alam
United Kingdom
Streatham
London
flag msg tools
Thanks for explaining and clearing up the differences between items and dexterity weapons. Thats what was confusing me

One last thing, is there anyway in the game to get your special ability yellow tokens back? I assume they won't refresh at Upkeep? Any other way to get them, or they are one time use for the whole game only!

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NADIMALAM wrote:
Thanks for explaining and clearing up the differences between items and dexterity weapons. Thats what was confusing me

One last thing, is there anyway in the game to get your special ability yellow tokens back? I assume they won't refresh at Upkeep? Any other way to get them, or they are one time use for the whole game only!

Thanks

An ultra-rare occurrence! But overall, there's no way! Those are the only tokens for the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.