German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"A DoW must be made before moving units that Turn."

Does a DoW need to be followed by an actual Aggression [11.54], i.e. do I need to actually attack my new enemy after a DoW?

Reasons for asking:

(a) I may want to preemptively DoW in order to prevent my enemy to gain the Surprise bonus.
(b) I may want to enter a "phoney war" (i.e. DoW without any actual attacks) early on in the game in order to help reduce my IND factory costs.

I would like to see discussed whether (b) was intended and what the potential trade-offs to this strategy may be. Off hand, I can see the -1VP at game end for DoW, loss of further peace dividends and the requirements to now having to check for supply and trade routes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Re: [15.2] Declarations of War & Phoney War
If you make a DoW your opponent's development cost is reduced but yours isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [15.2] Declarations of War & Phoney War
Yes, yes, yes! Thank you, that makes so much more sense! I completely overlooked [15.22]: "The victim removes [...]"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nip
Hong Kong
Taipo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About the "preemption" aspect, in addition to nullifying opponent's ability to Surprise (15.22), it also hamstring the Production Level of a Great Power whose RES is low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Benkendorf
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Does a DoW need to be followed by an actual Aggression [11.54], i.e. do I need to actually attack my new enemy after a DoW?

Hi, I´m not sure: Is an actual Agression necessary or not? I.e. can I DoW only in the commande phase with an following attac ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
According to the second edition rules:

15.21 Declaring War
A Declaration of War (DoW) must be made before moving units that Turn (and Aggression against the victim must occur).

The highlighted text was added. Note that it doesn't have to be a very big aggression.

Dieter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Benkendorf
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thank You for the clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you DoW in any phase of the game? I.e. Could you DoW at the start of the production phase to reduce Axis to their Resources level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not the way that I read 15.21 (above).

War can be declared only at the beginning of the aggressor's movement phase and must be immediately followed by an aggression into another faction's controlled territory.

Dieter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.