Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hello all,

It has been suggested to me that I put together a session report on a game I've designed Pet Shop and that is ready for major play testing.

Does anyone know how to go about doing this or can anyone point me in the right direction where I can see a session report that was written up on a game?

Need some help on this please so any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each game has its own subforums. Here is the link to one of the "hot" session reports done recently. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1439580/aslsk-walkthrough-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/create/thing/163330

change forum to "sessions"

start typing. I suggest copy it from something like notepad so you can catch all the typos before adding it so you don't have to edit it after uploading it.

depending on length of game, a play by play might be too long. I'd stick with what is going on, on the table, and throw some theme around it. Results at the end shouldn't matter as much for a solitaire game, except if you try to beat your last scorem is the goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Does anyone know how to go about doing this or can anyone point me in the right direction where I can see a session report that was written up on a game?

I've written a few Session Reports.

Keep notes. Remember interesting moments during the session and include them in the article. Explain the final result. Take photographs. Lots of photographs. You might only use a fraction of these images but they add tremendous punch. Always show the beginning of the game as it is set up before play.

Good Luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read other session reports. Make note of the ones that don't make your eyes glaze over. Imitate those but put your own take on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very subjective, both how they're put together and what ones people enjoy reading.

My personal taste likes those that give more of a narrative than a simple description of gameplay.

A couple of favourites.

Sir Humphrey's Kremlin report- https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/946685/dachas-siberia-and-w...

Philip Jelley's series of Virgin Queen sessions- https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/873049/aar-phillippe-de-val...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Pete (prefers four to five thousands words)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Read other session reports. Make note of the ones that don't make your eyes glaze over.
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
My personal taste likes those that give more of a narrative than a simple description of gameplay.

Expanding upon those, writing clearly and conisely is a given. After that I'd say tell a story. Tell it to make a friend excited to hear it.

(and it's OK to check here to see if I have succeeded at my own advice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
It's very subjective, both how they're put together and what ones people enjoy reading.

This = TRUE!

Also, what makes a good session report will differ depending on the game.

For some games, a narrative element works well. This tends to be particularly so for games with a strong thematic element where the gameplay brings out a story organically. If the game has lots of chrome, then the addition of pictures will also really help.

On the other hand, deck construction games (like Lord of the Rings LCG) probably benefit from a session report illustrating key rationale behind how a deck was built, some of the key challenges faced in a quest and how that particular deck dealt with those challenges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.