Subject: Campaign game set up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john bates
England
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm finding the rules for the campaign game set up a bit confusing.I gather we must use the set up as per the High Watermark scenario.
Do any allied units set up for the campaign game in Milne Bay as per the Milne Bay scenario or is Milne Bay without units until those scheduled in the time record track.
Thanks for any help on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D
Thailand
Bangkok
Please choose a state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This same question was raised in the (excellent) review posted on this forum. Since the 18th AIF arrived in Milne Bay on August 12th the response was to play those units as reinforcements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john bates
England
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike
Does that mean that the units listed on the Milne Bay set up scenario appear as reinforcements on Aug 9th as well as the units listed on the TRT or are the Milne Bay set up units now ignored and don't appear at all.
Thanks
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D
Thailand
Bangkok
Please choose a state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John,
Sorry, my earlier response was a little brief, I had to dig up my notes (which are a bit cryptic). The trick here was to go back to historical records to figure this out, and noting of course that the counters in the game are only loosely representative of the actual forces.

Looking at the Milne Bay TRT (and errata) that scenario starts:

Milne Bay Scenario
D company 61st Bn on Ahioma
61 Bn / 7 Bgde on KB Mission (*the counter incorrectly says 16/7*)
25 Bn / 7 Bgde on L3 (with AT, HMG, Arty, Boys AT)
9+10 Bns /18 Bgde on Gili-Gili (with mortar)

Historical Notes (adjusted snips from Wikipedia):
[I have cut Anti-Air units and some infantry forces noting that the game only has counters for two Battalions for 7th brigade where historically there were three]
On 11 July, troops of the 7th Infantry Brigade, arrived to bolster the Milne Bay garrison. The brigade consisted of three (two in game) Militia battalions from Queensland, the 9th (9th not included in game), 25th and 61st Infantry Battalions. They brought with them guns of the 4th Battery of the 101st Anti-Tank Regiment, along with the first Australian engineer unit, the 24th Field Company.

Milne Bay Campaign Setup (interpretation)
D/61 Infantry Company on Ahioma
61/7 Infantry Battalion on KB Mission (*counter incorrectly says 16/7*)
25/7 Infantry Battalion and Anti-Tank [(9)-1-4] on L3
mortar on Gili-Gili

Then, looking at the Campaign Game TRT, reinforcements arrive as follows:

Turn 5 (August 9th)
2 batts (18 brig),anti-tank, HMG, supply to Milne Bay

Turn 7 (August 17th)
Artillery to Milne Bay

Continuing Historical Notes (adjusted snips from Wikipedia):
[Again, I have cut Anti-Air units and some infantry forces noting that the game only has counters for two Battalions of the 18th brigade where historically there were three]
The garrison was further reinforced with troops of 18th Infantry Brigade which began arriving on 12 August, although it would not be complete until 21 August. This veteran brigade consisted of the 9th, 10th and 12th (12th not included in game) Infantry Battalions. Artillery support was provided by the 9th Battery of the 2/5th Field Regiment.

Milne Bay Aug 9th Reinforcements (interpretation)
9/18 Infantry Battalion
10/18 Infantry Battalion
HMG
Boyes AT

Milne Bay Aug 17th Reinforcements
25 PDR Artillery

Hope that makes sense, and at least that's how I did it. There is some confusion around anti-tank counters (is it one AT + Boyes counter, or two AT + Boyes) but AT is also needed at Kapa Kapa on Sep 16th so I've made my own assumptions.

Might as well mention that I made a whole bunch of mostly minor fixes to the counters when I last played, and ended up printing and mounting a whole new set of counters. But my notes on those mistakes are all over the place. The game is completely playable without the nitpicking on counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john bates
England
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike
I really appreciate your help with this
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.