Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 4 year old daughter has recently decided that she would like to play games with her family. Today was Snakes and Ladders.

Mum quickly went through the rules with daughter while I set up the board (we tend to use the French drafting variant). After this I took her through some strategies and, even though it may be basic, the Ladder strategy is a strong one.

I got off to a strong start hitting two ladders in a row, while Mum and daughter dawdled behind. I continued to remind daughter of the importance of landing on the ladder squares while Mum sat there shaking her head. Daughter hit a ladder square to vault her into the lead while I managed to hit two snakes in a row. Mum was pursuing the much maligned 'doubles' strategy and, as the many books on the subject will confirm, it is not a winning play.

Ultimately daughter won while Mum and Dad were concentrating on taking each other out. She did the dance of joy while Mum and I blamed one another. As per our house rule the winner can pick the next game.

Daughter came back from our gaming shelves with.... Die Macher.....

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice, but would she have wanted to play another game if she hadnt won?

How about this: each player recieves two pawns. First one with both pawns to the finish wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
Mum was pursuing the much maligned 'doubles' strategy and, as the many books on the subject will confirm, it is not a winning play.

The 'doubles' strategy? You play with two dice?

Mums are just bad at this game, in our first thirteen three player games Melissa won one and come last in the other twelve meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
The 'doubles' strategy? You play with two dice?

Mums are just bad at this game, in our first thirteen three player games Melissa won one and come last in the other twelve meeple

Ah, my mistake. I meant to say '6s' strategy (Roll a 6, have another go). I wrote the report while playing Backgammon afterwards and got confused.

I have the feeling that Sharon might have threw the game after the 'Junior Monopoly' episode, where she willing reduced our daughter to a blubbering wreck by forcing her to land on all of her double properties.

Incidently, about 10 minutes ago, Sharon won her first game of Power Grid out of many and showed our son the value of good sportsmanship by whooping, laughing and shaking her bum at us.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:

Ah, my mistake. I meant to say '6s' strategy (Roll a 6, have another go).

Is that a house rule or official in your neck of the woods?

solove wrote:
Incidently, about 10 minutes ago, Sharon won her first game of Power Grid out of many and showed our son the value of good sportsmanship by whooping, laughing and shaking her bum at us.

To quote the last few lines from a recent session report from Melissa http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1247249#1247249

"All that stuff people say about women being more gracious than men, and not lording it over others in defeat?

It's rubbish.

Girls rule."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I beat the kids at 'Pique Plume' (Cha Cha Chicken) I did a lap of honour around the table with my arms in the air.

My two boys just looked at me an shook their heads in shame, "What have you told us about being a good winner"?

Sometimes you just can't help yourself.

James

PS. The '6' rule is from the European Snakes and Ladders Tournament Rulebook (Section 24, Paragraph 537.6.12).

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.