1 Posts

Secret Tijuana Deathmatch» Forums » Strategy

Subject: A first glance at the strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Schmidt
United States
flag msg tools
I've only had the game for 1 day, but I read the rules and played solo a bit to get a feel for the game. I am surprised at the amount of strategy this game appears to have. Yes, there is luck in your tiles also, but there are a few different approaches to winning.

The initial drafting of fighters poses some strategic thought immediately. The higher rank your fighters are the more they cost and regardless of whether they live or die, you must at some point pay their contract price. It will be paid either to the winning opponent after a fight or to the bank at the end of the game.

Having rank 1 fighters gives you an option that may be a loop hole in the rules. You can "Call for Victims," which is to ask for any lower ranked fighters to fight. No one can legally accept since there is no rank lower than 1. This would allow you to draw 2 tiles for free. Now this makes the rank 1 fighters valuable and it appears you should always attempt to have one of them. Some people mention this as making the game "broken." I'm not so sure of that, and won't be until I play a few games. But I think the key is to plan for this and try to get a rank 1 fighter so you have this option or the option of "Picking a Fair Fight" with the offending player's fighter. Ultimately, the game is won by having more money, and drawing tiles never pays money.

Having a lot of higher rank fighters allows you good stats to win fights initially, but you will be paying more for them, which again cuts in on your chances of winning.

When a fight starts that has you losing immediately you have another interesting decision, do you forfeit or die? Either way you will pay your opponent the contract cost of your fighter. But if you forfeit you will pay it again, either in another fight or at the end of the game.

We'll see if my thoughts change after I get a couple of games in...

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.