Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a source or collection of scenarios for Canvas Eagles? I have finally bit the bullet and bought a handful of planes to get started, but I am still unsure about what makes a balanced scenario. Is it simply number of planes and skills of pilots even on each side, or could fewer, better aircraft on one side take on a larger squadron of lesser aircraft on the other?

For now, I am more interested in balanced scenarios than historically accurate ones. **ducks from dice-chucking grognards**

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The balance also depends a lot of the skill of the players. Even a mediocre player can mostly beat a rookie player with a better plane...
The better games are the games where you have 3 to 5 players on each side. You can make up scenarios as you want but the most populair are the dogfights just blast them out of the sky.
and as long as you pick only early or only late war planes the game tends to be balanced...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are just starting, try the following matchups:

Late War
Nieuport 28 vs Fokker D.Va

Both of these planes are similar; one has more maneuvers at speed 3 while the other has more maneuvers at speed 2.

Early War
Fokker D.III vs Sopwith Pup

The Pup is more maneuverable, but the pilot has to change the ammo drums.
Fokker can take more damage, and does not have to change drums.

Player Skill
As Alex mentioned, player skill can make a big difference. It will take a few games before you can see this however, so just split up in even teams for now.

After a few games you could "handicap" the better players by providing them with less able planes, or give the less experienced players better planes.

Scenarios
The scenarios which are listed at the end of the manual (under the Campaign section) are good and fairly easy. Defaulting to Fighter Sweep is probably best for your first few games, so you may learn the rules and only worry about shooting enemy planes.

Fuel Rules
I would not recommend using the rules for fuel consumption until you've played a few games, as it adds a bit of work and may be confusing/overwhelming at first. But once you've picked up some experience, do try that rule as it forces the game to end within 25-30 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.