publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

SORRY
THIS GAME IS NOT READY
COME BACK NEXT MONTH

Boreal

By Charles Ward from EX1ST GAMES.
2015 Print and Play Edition.
5 minute game for 1-5 players ages 6 and up.

SUMMARY
Play all of your cards, or have the fewest remaining cards in hand, at the end of the game. Play cards from your hand that matching any of the card sides currently in play. The cards representing the Aurora Borealis, are played vertically next to each other, so that the sides match.

CONTESTS
I hope to enter this game into the following contests:
[2015 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest]
[2015 18 Card MicroGame Contest]
[2015 Mint Tin Design Contest] << when I resize the cards
[2015 September 24 Hour Contest]

DOWNLOAD
[2015 September 24 Hour Contest]
Here is the link for the files designed in 24 hours:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1AnChpnVVBqRmZHRy1x...

KNOWN ISSUES: SOLO - PLEASE COMMENT
The solo game needs to be explained further. Essentially you add the cards with only one side colour - face up - to the deck. Then you draw a hand of 3 (or less) cards and try to finish with zero cards in hand.

KNOWN ISSUES: TIE - PLEASE COMMENT
There are a lot of ties. A lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] BOREAL [2015 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest] [2015 18 Card MicroGame Contest] [2015 Mint Tin Design Contest] [2015 September 24 Hour Contest]
First Post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] BOREAL [2015 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest] [2015 18 Card MicroGame Contest] [2015 Mint Tin Design Contest] [2015 September 24 Hour Contest]
Wow, this look fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some feedback on the rules:

I think I understand the rules, but there are some things that could use some clarification:

1) "Cards are played vertically next to each other, so that the sides match." "Vertically next to each other" sounds odd. In other words, in "portrait" orientation with the long sides of the cards touching? So there will be one "string" of cards as the game is played, correct?

2) "Players may not look at the back of their cards." Since the cards are double sided, there really isn't a "back". Maybe a better way to say this would be "Players leave the cards face up on the table and can not look at the hidden side". Or, do players hold there cards in their hand?

3) I don't see any pink cards, except in the low ink cards.

4) "the direction of the line must also match." I don't understand what this means. maybe a picture would help.

5) "Play cards from your hand that matching any of the card sides currently in play." "Any"? There will always only be 2 sides to play on, right, or am I missing something?

Sounds like a fun, quick game. Hopefully my suggestions will clarify the rules some.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Narrow Gate Games"]Some feedback on the rules:

I think I understand the rules, but there are some things that could use some clarification:

Quote:
1) "Cards are played vertically next to each other, so that the sides match." "Vertically next to each other" sounds odd. In other words, in "portrait" orientation with the long sides of the cards touching? So there will be one "string" of cards as the game is played, correct?
Right. Cards are played next to (either of) the last cards. What I have not illustrated is that they are offset (one will be higher than the other, but next to each other). I know - I'm missing pictures. I'm sorry.

Quote:
2) "Players may not look at the back of their cards." Since the cards are double sided, there really isn't a "back". Maybe a better way to say this would be "Players leave the cards face up on the table and can not look at the hidden side". Or, do players hold there cards in their hand?
Yes, players hold the cards in their hands. The other players may get a hint of what they might have.

Quote:
3) I don't see any pink cards, except in the low ink cards.
Good point. I inverted the colour to create the dark sky, and forgot about this part of the rules.

Quote:
4) "the direction of the line must also match." I don't understand what this means. maybe a picture would help.
I will add one on the next update.

Quote:
5) "Play cards from your hand that matching any of the card sides currently in play." "Any"? There will always only be 2 sides to play on, right, or am I missing something?
At the moment, yes. You can plat at either end of the Boreal. That needs clarification. I was thinking of playing with more than one row... perhaps for the next iteration.

Quote:
Sounds like a fun, quick game. Hopefully my suggestions will clarify the rules some.

Thank you so much for taking a look at this half baked idea. I'm sort of tied up a November release of Blood & Fortune. So exciting! I just wanted to throw this in quick and return to it later. I'm kind of embarrassed about it right now, but open to the criticism, in a "vulnerable but that's ok kind of vibe". Also, I did not get a chance to playtest any other games too, so feeling very very guilty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I built the game before I saw it wasn't ready.

I may still give it a try since my daughter was interested in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Chris. I plan to revisit this in the future. If you have any questions let me know. I'm sorry I posted something so unfinished. Could not help myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess A
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This looks so pretty!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
yellowmoya wrote:
This looks so pretty!

Thanks. I hope to finish it one day, and have the game do what I want it to do.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I just launched the 2016 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest! You are welcome to re-enter this game (or a new game) if you would like. I hope to see you back this year!

2016 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls