Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Henchman Deck" Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(this was not yet tested, it might need a little tweaking here and there)

For quite some time's I've been plying a 'two villain' variant, where you take a normal villain (preferably a weaker one) AND one villain from Vengeance and fight them both at the same time (the second villain goes either after first Hero, or in the middle of hero turns, or before environment or whatever, depends). But then I thought about something similar, which also uses Vengeance decks (which, if popular opinion is to be believed, are almost never used, since everybody apparently hate Vengeance 5).

Here are few easy steps:

Step 1: Take all the Nemezis targets from all Vengeance 5 decks and shuffle them into a single deck.
Step 2: Pick heroes, villain and enviromnent as you normally would.
Step 3: Put the "Henchmen" deck next to villain deck.
Step 4: Play the game normally, but now add another turn for Henchmen deck, which happens BEFORE Environment turn.

Henchmen deck turn is as follows:
-Start
-Play
-End

For all intents and purposes:
-it's treated like a villain deck
-all targets in this deck are villain targets
-hero effects that influence a villain deck can be used on Nemezis deck (but not both at the same time)
-you only need to fight the main villain, beating Nemezis deck is not required (but it might pile up)
-I recommend sleving them in the same color, so the backs won't betray who is next (or not, for possibly more strategic play and deduction elements)

Optional rules (apply any you wish):
-Henchmen deck goes immediately after Villain instead
-Henchmen deck goes after environment, before Villain
-(H) is reduced by 1 (to a minimum of 3) [in case the game proves to be too hard]
-feel free to add any "Sidekick" deck variants if you wish
-some villains might need a little modifications of their own

Again, not tested, but heck, why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jettosan wrote:
Vengeance decks (which, if popular opinion is to be believed, are almost never used, since everybody apparently hate Vengeance 5).

My complaint about them is just the amount of table space and bookkeeping involved with four heroes, four villains, and the environment. I understand that they work better with three heroes, but I play most of my games with two players and two heroes each.

Two heroes, two Vengeance villains is a fun variant. Weak villain and one Vengeance buddy (which you mention) can also be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
Jettosan wrote:
Vengeance decks (which, if popular opinion is to be believed, are almost never used, since everybody apparently hate Vengeance 5).

My complaint about them is just the amount of table space and bookkeeping involved with four heroes, four villains, and the environment. I understand that they work better with three heroes, but I play most of my games with two players and two heroes each.

Two heroes, two Vengeance villains is a fun variant. Weak villain and one Vengeance buddy (which you mention) can also be good.

Weak villain + Vengeance partner vs 4 or 5 is one of my favourite ways to play the game lately. All of a sudden Baron Blade, Ambuscade and Kismet became interesting again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.