Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished a game at 2AM with my son that went down to the wire. We had build our fleets of 300 points from across the Star Wars historical spectrum.

I played the Dark Side with my Super Star Destroyer alone with 1 Trade Federation Droid Control ship, a mix of TIE fighters and Vulture Droids, a few Techno Union fighters, Ventress, a Sith bird, and Palpatine's shuttle. His fleet had the Viscount, Home One, the ME Falcon, and a mix of A, X, and Y-wing fighters with an Ace or two.

We played on two maps long side to side and our house range rules where firing distance is based on ship Class as follows:
Class I - range 7
Class II - range 5
Class III - range 3
Class IV - range 1

All other rules remained the same.

The battle started out with each of us cautiously moving towards each other holding off on fighter launches. But once the flagships got within range, all the hangar bays were pretty much emptied. The Viscount turned broadside and woefully launched a salvo of duds into space while the Executor faired no better. The bulk of the rebels along with the Home One flocked on the Droid Control ship to disable it in an attempt to stop any future "infinite" droid spawning while the Falcon and a few A-wings flanked right to attempt side shots on the Executor. Meanwhile Ventress, a few TIE fighters, and a single TIE bomber headed for the Viscount.

The fighters pretty much went through the usual space dance in the middle of the starfield with an average 50/50 kill on both sides whereas the Falcon managed to get a hit on the Executor before becoming a cheesy poof. On the left flank the Droid Control ship was having a hard time with its point defense and was taking serious damage from Home One. Ultimately it would only last through 3 turns before bursting into a short-lived fireball snuffed by the vaccuum of space. It was enough for a few droid and TIE fighters to respawn and annoy the Home One. The Viscount and Executor were trading shots with the Viscount getting the better deal on dice rolls. It was then I realized that Ventress can't damage the Viscount with its 1 damage due to DR1's on the Class I ships, so I turned it around to take out the remaining rebel fighters and put some additional hurt on the Home One.

The occassional command point was spent to increase shields or damage ability and the Emperor's shuttle even managed to fly casual at one point and evade an early death. But command goes by quick and if you don't use it, you'll lose it as things start blowing up fast in this game.

Then the rebels make a critical error. The last of their fighters (two or three of them) make for the Executor after the Home One gets snuffed by Droid fighters. There was no defense left behind to take out my TIE bomber who was now on the tail of the Viscount. An amazing barrage by the Viscount on the Executor managed to take out the Executor while leaving the Viscount damaged with 9 more shields to go. In the process, point defense managed to take out all the fighters from both sides EXCEPT the single TIE bomber who was hanging back at a range of 2. So now all that's remaining is the Viscount and a single TIE bomber.

As you may recall, the bomber can fire at a range of 2 at half damage. And that's exactly what it did. With its maneuverability of 4, it could stay on the tail of the Viscount and slowly pick away at it with half damage every turn until the last torpedo went up the extinguished tailpipe of the Viscount and put an end to this bloody battle. If only the Viscount had kept one fighter in reserve for this unforseen possibility...

It was all over but the crying and in space noone can hear you cry (or me cackle). With one single TIE bomber remaining in space, the force took a turn for the dark side.

Overall, the game was a blast to play. I can see where it might be fun to build fleets from specific era's like the Clone Wars, etc. The range rule works great and forces more maneuvering early on in the battle. The game played out fairly quick and didn't outlast its welcome by turning stale. Now it they'll just release a Death Star!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gallacher
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you had fun. We've been entertained by the game as well, but have also really needed to modify the rules to enjoy the battles.
There are at least a dozen reported "fixes" for range,and speed, and now also some very creative "cures" for elevation that really improve this game.
A shame that they did not game test this the way they had the original minis. Without a proper erata from Wizards, that incorporates the ideas from the people who actually play the game then i believe that this game is likley bound for collectors' shelves as opposed to the tables of miniature gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.