Subject: Experience and Growth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice in the rules there's no mention of experience, experience points, leveling up, etc, all the developmental tropes so common in RPGs. I know that characters get rewards, like titles, spells and allies, but exactly how do characters improve and grow in this game? How would my character gain new skills or abilities or improve upon old ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. The levelling up comes through the Saga mechanism. So each character has a Saga of 3 Chapters that they have to progress in order to be ready to face the terrible Ancient One. Each Chapter has some (flavour) text describing the quest that the character must undertake, with three high-lighted keywords included.

The player collects these keywords by defeating enemeies, overcoming encounters or acquiring items, allies etc that include them (most cards have two or three keywords on them). Once all three are collected this enables a player to take the 'Regale' action on their turn - at which time they pay 5 gold and choose one of the two skills available for that level of their character. They then move on to the next chapter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duh, four chapters then, not three. I should always repeat the caveat that my information comes from owning a prototype and being very lazy about getting the details right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In place of the traditional experience points you are collecting rumours from around the land, the more you discover the more powerful you can become.

Like the time you smashed a kobold and in his dying breathes revealed to you where you can find a powerful sword to advance your mission.

Thematically this makes more sense to me than just collecting experience points to level up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.