Subject: Gaming Anger rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people get mad when they lose, some get mad if you let them win. I only get mad when I am losing against a computerized opponent. A person beating me, I don't mind. Even the game beating me, I din't have a problem with. But if there is a computer cintrolling a "player" as an opponent, I get mad if I start losing (mad at myself for being bested by the machine).

Is this typical?

Do you get upset while gaming?

If so, under what circumstances?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get mad at myself if I make a stupid move. Otherwise, I try not to get angry during a game, and if I do, its usually because I'm hungry/tired/dehyrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really get angry per se, but I can get very annoyed. Generally, it's for one of two reasons:

1. I made some dumb mistake because I overlooked some critical thing on the game board. I hate when I have some brilliant plan but forget some mundane but crucial detail!

2. The dice are hating on me in a particularly nasty way. Usually it's when I roll poorly not just once, but many times in a row, wrecking my otherwise brilliant plan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:

When all I need is to roll 1-5 and I roll 6. Every. Single. Time. Like 5 times in a row. Makes me want to flip a table yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can get moody (I'm not sure it's anger, per se, more like aggressive despondency) in situations where I have no control, such as with dice rolls or card draws.

It happens in those situations where I am drawing or rolling terribly. Unfortunately, I roll and draw terribly quite often!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get angry when gaming, it is one of my favourite hobbies, win or lose it brings me joy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
I get mad at myself if I make a stupid move.

Same for me. I am a perfectionist and often get angry at myself when I realize a mistake. It drives my wife nuts when I complain about myself and then still win. I can perfectly understand her, but have a really hard time stopping myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten frustrated with board game apps, but then I just move onto a different one. Small World comes to mind. The AI in it is so random that sometimes a computerized opponent will just decide that it wants to pick on you the whole game, inevitably allowing another computerized player to run away with the victory. Then I have other games where one opponent tries to make it through the whole game with a single race, so it's just really inconsistent.

Some other specific games frustrate me for various reasons...Galaxy Trucker and Pandemic are a couple of examples...but for the most part, I enjoy the experience of a game much more than winning or losing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only get angry (although most people wouldn't call it angry, but only slightly aggitated), when other people get angry. Please keep your frustrations to yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to get very emotionally involved in the result of my games, especially playing Warhammer and 40K. I don't touch those any more.

Euros seem to work better for that because the random can't punish you repeatedly.

One thing to do is to get overly dramatic when things go wrong. Laugh, cry, fake cry. Let of some steam and make your opponent smile. The games are meant to be fun.

My experience with miniature wargaming was that people took their sense of self-worth from their results in the game. This is a sad mind-set but I'm sure it is all too common.

I enjoy a game when I get to do lots of stuff, make lots of choices, solve lots of puzzles. In wargames, your favourite pieces can get knocked off early and suddenly you are just trying to survive the rest of the game. This can take the fun out of the game as each turn, you aren't doing much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only get mad if I am losing to a woman or a child.

Just in case there is any confusion here, I am not serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos R
United States
Lake Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
the_vinman wrote:
I only get angry (although most people wouldn't call it angry, but only slightly aggitated), when other people get angry. Please keep your frustrations to yourself.

100% agree with this. It is usually someone being a sore lose and wants the whole table to share in their misery. Ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I only get mad if...

I don't think that's funny (I'm assuming it was supposed to be).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
I get mad if I start losing (mad at myself for being bested by the machine).

Don't play against computers then, they are better than humans at lots of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Questioning Answers is as important as Answering Questions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much the only thing that throws me off balance are bad/gloating winners. Sure I may get frustrated if I miss some opportunity or if someone takes my spot but if it happens within the parameters of the game expecting them not to is silly.

As for losing to machines: Don't beat yourself up over it. For you to consider moves in the same kind of depth computers are capable of would take hours. Being beaten by a machine doing its best is the expected outcome, not the exception. That's why we make them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:

The short answer is "NO". Personally, if I make a mistake or find I am in a losing position or roll that "1" when I need "anything but a 1" I LAUGH at myself, yes, laugh my socks off.

Anyone who goes through life getting mad because of bits of plastic or cardboard or even the actions of another player is just wasting precious time.

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oppedj02 wrote:
I can get moody (I'm not sure it's anger, per se, more like aggressive despondency) in situations where I have no control, such as with dice rolls or card draws.

It happens in those situations where I am drawing or rolling terribly. Unfortunately, I roll and draw terribly quite often!

Interesting. That makes me more sympathetic to people who seek out games with little to no randomness and that I should take the gratuitous digs about random elements being shallow or what not with a grain of salt and that they are not consciously trying to come off as snooty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can be massively irritated by "push you luck" type situations where it feels like whatever I chose will be wrong. I don't think I'm that good at deciding on what I think is the logical course of action and then not feeling stressed when it doesn't work. I once had to leave the room for a minute during a game of Lost Cities and take a few deep breaths to calm myself down...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not mad per-say. But I do get frustrated when I feel someone does something that gives someone else the win when it's clear what they are doing to everyone else but them, but they won't here it when you tell them (no trust, even though it's pure logic, not opinion) until it's too late and then they apologise!

Has happened to me in more than 1 game of Resistance. I even had a 5 player game where a good guy was choosing for the final mission and didn't pick themselves! They didn't trust if I was bad or good, so wouldn't believe anything I said. Even though I stated that if she was good (and it was fact by then that she was due to mission failures) and she wasn't on the final mission, we would lose...

I understand that people get flustered but it does frustrate me when the world isn't 'efficient' (as you can tell from my concise post). The frustration disappears as soon as we move on to a different game though.

TLDR: Yes but it only lasts until the box is packed away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get angry, I get thirsty. Stay thirsty my friends! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SKIP-BO, that game really drives me crazy, I don't like games where I'm forced to lose with no control over the outcome, and someone else if forced to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Feelings of anger are normal and healthy. Some of these games are highly competitive, and if you're not feeling any pangs of anger when someone makes a move that devastates your strategy or when you roll 1 after 1 after 1 after 1, you're not being entirely truthful with yourself. People are all different, and some feel it stronger than others, but it happens to all of us.

Showing that anger is where the problems can arise. Hold that in or, like someone else said, express it by being a bit overly dramatic and jokey. A long "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" can really be of use.

I used to get very grumbly and irritated when things didn't go my way in games, and it's honestly just a learning process with this type of hobby. Once you figure out how to lose and deal with your planning being screwed with, you'll be much happier.

In the moment, things seem like more of a big deal than they are. Once the game is over and you can take a step back and see that it's seriously not a big deal, it eases. The trick is to remember that during the game-state so you can avoid outwardly expressing the angry emotions when they come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if I'm tired really. Sometimes I just shouldn't go out. When I'm having a streak of stupid bad luck I get irritated. It's no fun when you can't even be a challenge to your opponent. But it happens to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
I don't get angry, I get thirsty. Stay thirsty my friends! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Switzerland
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some personal experiences

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.