Subject: Best games for 3-6 players in rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Kerkhoff
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hello.

I have a group of friends that get together for lunch regularly and we like to play games. The group of us are experienced gamers and have pretty strategic minds. I am looking for games that can be played in <60 minutes that take a good amount of mental thought and are replay-able (as they could be played tens or hundreds of times). The type of game (card, dice, board, etc.) does not matter to us. I would like to get competitive and some cooperative games if possible.

Just for some more info about the group of people, here are some games we play (maybe not <60 minutes):

1940 Axis and Allies
Fluxx Cthulu
Love Letter
White Chapel
Normal card games (euchre, etc.)
D&D

What kind of games would you recommend for us?

Thank you so much in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Puza
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello-

It sounds like my group is around the same size as yours. We also prefers games less than an hour as well.

A few others that we really like are:

7 wonders - up to 7 players
Coup - cheap, quick, up to 4 players
Ticket to Ride - up to 5 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great way to spend lunch time

+1 7 Wonders

Chicago Express has been suggested and it is a great game and a personal favourite. But, I will note that with 6 it will take longer than 1 hour and you may find the experience not as rewarding with more than 5p.

Also recommend:

Citadels
Isla Dorada - fun, great components, and underrated
Alhambra
Fleet + Fleet: Arctic Bounty
Bohnanza

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Cthulhu Realms
2 Spyfall
3 Discoveries

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
...and I'm back in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Going from lightest to heaviest:

Bohnanza (max players: 7) People watching you play will likely want to join in. It plays really well with any number from 3-6.

California (max: 5)

Room 25 (max: 6)

Chronicle (max: 6)

Flash Point (max: 6) Not my personal favorite, but it accommodates up to six and plays pretty quickly.

Libertalia (max: 6)

The Speicherstadt (max: 5) I can't recommend this one enough for this. It's really quick to learn and set up (you shuffle some cards and that's it), but gameplay is really interesting and has lots of choices. I think there's enough here to keep you interested for dozens of games and if you get tired, there's an apparently very worthwhile expansion in Kaispeicher. Play takes 45 minutes to an hour.

Medici (max: 6) Simple, quick, fun, but really some interesting strategy involved.

Modern Art (max: 5) The auction game to end all auction games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games I think of have already been suggested. Except for a couple surprisingly deep card games: Linko! and Red7.

Note that I haven't played either one enough to know if the strategy really holds up in the long term, but both are good enough to have seriously impressed me with their depth after a few plays. Neither goes all the way up to six players, although I noticed you mentioned Love Letter which is only up to four... so these might be interesting when the full group doesn't make it.

Linko has the additional caveat that in at least one instance we took two hours to play. Definitely that was with each of five players having one round as the dealer, though, so you could just play a single round if you're willing to accept a little more luck of the draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Bohnanza

Citadels might take more than 60 mins.

Race for the Galaxy - 2-4p will take more than 60 mins for the first game (unless everyone reads the rules). 5 or 6 players with expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels if everyone plays quickly
Dixit
Unnamed Object
Oh Hell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katina Choovanski
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
aka KabukiKid on Youtube. Yeah, I have a few online aliases. heh ;-)
mbmbmbmbmb
TheResistance wrote:
Coup - cheap, quick, up to 4 players

Coup actually plays up to 6. The expansion makes it go to an even higher player count, but I don't entirely recommend that. I think the sweet-spot is 4 or 5. Playing with 6 makes the Ambassador power a bit too powerful, IMHO.

btw... if you have times where you have exactly 6, give Dune a spin. Longer than what you are asking for, but it is the best 6 player game there is, if you ask me. ;-)

From the same designers, you can also play Cosmic Encounter. The base game plays up to 5, but if you buy one of the expansions, it goes up to 6. Just don't play it with less than 4.

~Kat ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card games that will handle 6:
Parade
Black Spy (trick taking)
Saboteur (compilation editions) (will be better with the full 6+)
Metro (tile laying)
Alhambra (tile buying & laying)

Max 5:
Puerto Rico
Hansa Teutonica
*Note: both of these may take more than 60mins your first couple times

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
First Image Ever of a Hydrogen Atom's Electron Cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra (max 5)
Small World (6 with expansion board)
Dominion (5+ with expansions)
The Resistance: Avalon

If you're willing to go to 1.5-2 hours, I think you'll also like Quartermaster General.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katina Choovanski
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
aka KabukiKid on Youtube. Yeah, I have a few online aliases. heh ;-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Another filler card game is 6 nimmt!. This one gets a decent amount of play at my gaming group while we are still waiting for people to show up and can even play up to 10!

~Kat ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ferguson
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Diamonds
The Great Debate
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.