Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the damage section on page 13 it says that ships can be damaged by the submarines but never does it discuss how that happens and what happens. It talks about submarines being rammed but not ships. Please advise.

Also when there are two ships with sonar watch when a sub goes through it, they say contact color(red) for example. It doesn't say in the rules that you specify which ships sonar you triggered but shouldn't they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Benford
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dkingnu wrote:
In the damage section on page 13 it says that ships can be damaged by the submarines but never does it discuss how that happens and what happens. It talks about submarines being rammed but not ships. Please advise.

Ships are damaged when moving over a minefield depending on the total number of squares moved when they do - see page 9 ‘Laying Mines’ (2nd, 3rd & 4th paragraphs) with a side-note linking to the ‘Damage’ section of the rule book.

dkingnu wrote:
Also when there are two ships with sonar watch when a sub goes through it, they say contact color(red) for example. It doesn't say in the rules that you specify which ships sonar you triggered but shouldn't they?

Yes you're right. NATO players’ declarations of contact by sonar watch areas should identify the destroyer, or destroyers, in contact (in reality the individual ships would know if they had contact without it being pointed out to them - but it needs to be pointed out in the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy,
Sorry but in my first question I meant to say that it indicates ships can be damaged by ramming. But it never talks about submarines ramming ships in the rules. The ramming part is only in the Soviets section. How does a sub ram a ship? Does it just go to 0 ft plop on the big board and destroy a ship? That doesn't sound right?

Thanks
Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Benford
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dkingnu wrote:
Andy,
Sorry but in my first question I meant to say that it indicates ships can be damaged by ramming. But it never talks about submarines ramming ships in the rules. The ramming part is only in the Soviets section. How does a sub ram a ship? Does it just go to 0 ft plop on the big board and destroy a ship? That doesn't sound right?

Thanks
Dan

Dan

The only ramming that takes place in the game is when a ship (a destroyer or logistic ship) rams a submarine and sinks it (‘Ramming' page 11) which is why ‘Ramming’, as a section header, only appears in the Soviet section.

The 2nd bullet point on page 13 under ‘Damage’ says “Ships can be damaged by minefields, ramming or being in a station when it is attacked”, and in the case of ‘ramming’ is referring to the damage that the ship suffers as a direct result of striking the submarine as it rams it (damage to bow and so on) hence the part of the “Ramming” paragraph on page 11 that says: “The ship sustains the same damage it would if it hit a mine”.

You are correct in thinking that submarines do not ram ships … well, not since "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea”!

I hope that clarifies it.
Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Andy. That is clear now. Between that question and many of the others from that 20 question post that you answered I think it would be very helpful for you to create an official faq and place on the files section. I think most people will struggle with all the ambiguity on the rules and this will help people immensely. Since you've already spent a lot of time typing the answers, it will be a copy and paste job, but one well warranted!
Thanks
Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Benford
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dkingnu wrote:
Thanks Andy. That is clear now. Between that question and many of the others from that 20 question post that you answered I think it would be very helpful for you to create an official faq and place on the files section. I think most people will struggle with all the ambiguity on the rules and this will help people immensely. Since you've already spent a lot of time typing the answers, it will be a copy and paste job, but one well warranted!
Thanks
Dan

Q&A compilation in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.