United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the time to write up full session reports, but I've had some memorable moments so far...

Note: I've named my survivors after the 2015 Atlantic hurricane season. My starting survivors are Ana, Bill, Claudette, and Danny. Also, Ana has both the Vibrant Lantern and the Dying Lantern. I'll be tracking how effective they are.

Lantern Year One: The First Story

1. Ana attacks the lion, rolling two hits. She wounds the lion right on its ding dong. No response. She wounds the lion on its tricep. "AWW FUCK NO!" (counterattack)

2. Bill, not once but twice, fails to wound, resulting in the lion doing a full move and grab. Way to go, Bill.

3. Both times someone was knocked down due to the above reaction, the lion immediately drew Grasp, which targets knocked down survivors. Dat flavor.

4. Danny hits and... nope, it's a trap.

5. At the end, the only AI card left in the deck is Grasp, and I'm freaking out, worrying that I'm going to be caught in a loop of the lion grabbing and running as the one card reshuffles and redraws over and over.

6. Danny comes in to try and wound away that card and... nope, it's a trap. Fucking how! Fucking Danny!

7. Ana to the rescue, hitting twice, and getting that last wound in... but not without failing to wound on Lion's Paw... resulting in a counterattack with +2 damage. 3 damage to the arms, resulting in a ruptured muscle (arm hangs limp, can't activate fighting arts). The other hit would have been to the head, but she dodged that one.

8. Danny, one of two characters that have been damn near useless all fight, comes in at the end and deals the killing blow. Killstealer. Fucking Danny.

7. No losses!

Lion resources: White Fur, Sinew, Golden Whiskers, Eye of Cat
Basic resources: Love Juice, Skull, ??? x2!

Monster controller triggers: 3

Total Dying Lantern saves: 3
Total Vibrant Lantern hits: 0

8. Fort Awesome is founded!

9. +6 population from the event table roll. Boo.

10. Claudette was my all-star. Why there's no mention of Claudette above? She didn't fuck up. So she gets the courage and understanding from the Returning Survivors event.

11. Endeavors x4: Build three basic locations, then...

12. Claudette gets to activate Augury. "The survivor endeavors to glean the meaning of existence." Lantern 10. The meaning of existence is good fuckins. Trigger Intimacy.

13. Claudette + Bill roll a 10! If I had a hovel, that would have been a savior. I wind up with twins, which helps offset my crap population roll earlier. Claudette and Bill get +2 survival (up to limit) and +1 evasion. Trigger Principle: New Life.

14. Choose Affection, gain Protect the Young. Dat bonus!

15. Considering that bonus, Ana + Danny drink some Love Juice. Triggery Intimacy.

15. Intimacy rolls: 2, 5. Fucking Danny! Guess he couldn't get into it with Ana's dead arm flopping around. Choose the 5, make baby. Population up to 13.

16. Skull @ Bone Smith = Bone Dagger
??? x2 @ Skinnery = Rawhide Headband, Rawhide Vest
Sinew & Golden Whiskers @ Organ Grinder = Monster Grease x2

Saving the White Fur and Eye of Cat.

17. Departing:

a. Claudette has to skip next hunt, so Erika joins party.

b. Ana, the least valuable survivor, passes the two promo lanterns on to Bill, the most valuable survivor able to hunt.

c. Bill also equips the Rawhide pieces (both bonuses active), Bone Dagger, and one of the Monster Greases. His evasion is up to 4!

d. Erika gets the other Monster Grease. Fuck Danny.

End state going into Lantern Year Two: White Lion

Settlement
Population: 13
Locations: Lantern Horde, Bone Smith, Skinnery, Organ Grinder
Innovations: Language
Innovation deck: Ammonia, Drums, Hovel, Inner Lantern, Paint, Symposium
Principles: Protect the Young
Resources: White fur, eye of cat

Ana
XP: 1
Gear: Cloth, Founding Stone
Survival: 1
Insanity: 2
Waist: 1
Permanent injury: ruptured muscle

Bill
Gear: Rawhide Headband (active), Rawhide Vest (active), Cloth, Bone Dagger, Founding Stone, Monster Grease, Vibrant Lantern, Dying Lantern
Survival: 2
Evasion: 4
Accuracy: 1
Insanity: 1
Head: 1
Chest: 1

Claudette (skipping this hunt)
Gear: Naked!
Survival: 2
Courage: 1
Understanding: 1
Evasion: 1

Danny
Gear: Cloth, Founding Stone

Erika
XP: 0
Gear: Cloth, Founding Stone, Monster Grease
Evasion: 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A rules mistake i've caught since submitting this, since reading past the intro: Ana was not able to dodge the counterattack from the Paw because it was during her turn. So, that was three damage to the head, resulting in knockdown and a severe injury roll, resulting in one eye going blind (-1 accuracy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ??? resource is because you don't want to spoil it or you don't remember what it was?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Ryn
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Bernado wrote:
The ??? resource is because you don't want to spoil it or you don't remember what it was?

Nope. It's literally '???' My group was a little surprised. The survivors had no idea what it was, but it worked as a bone, hide, or organ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's literally "???." You're tearing through the salvageable remains of the monster that you didn't shred or bash in, you find this hunk of... thing, and are like, "What the fuck even is this?" But you take it back home anyway, play around with it, and realize it can be jammed into a piece of gear in place of a number of things. It's a proverbial square peg that can be fit into the round hole, as well as the triangular and hexagonal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.