Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I know I might be sounding stupid and naive, but though I have more than 130 games I don't own a CCG, so don't know how the whole system works. I'm extremely interested to learn about these and there is a good reason for this game to be so popular.

But where do I start this game, I see cards all over the place, so request you all to please provide me with some direction.

Thanks,
Madhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
You best bet is to learn from someone you know do you have any friends that play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Pick up a Duel Decks product. The latest one is:

It should only run you about $20 and the decks are already pre-made so all you need to do is rip the shrink and start playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the local gaming club & chat to the players there. It's also worthwhile asking if they have any spare cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Pick up a Duel Decks product. The latest one is:

It should only run you about $20 and the decks are already pre-made so all you need to do is rip the shrink and start playing.

Either this or get 2 Intro decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to start if you know absolutely nothing about the game is to download Magic Duels. You can download it for free for iOS, Steam, or X-Box. This will teach you the game, expose you to some card variety (especially cards from the latest sets), and catch you up on storyline. After you've made the time-investment into the system, you can decide if you want to drop any actual cash on physical cards.

If you do decide to invest in the game, don't go alone! Find some friends to go in with you, so that you cast test deck builds, go to events and tournaments, and have someone to trade with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
But where do I start this game, I see cards all over the place, so request you all to please provide me with some direction.

It depends. Do you want to get handed some decks and simply play with them (and finetune them later by buying extra cards) or do you want to dive into it deeply by buying a bunch of cards (which doesn't have to be expensive at all) and construct decks out of them yourself?

And yes, the computer game Magic Duels is a great way to start the game. It really is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this might seem crazy, but today/tomorrow is actually a really good day to learn. Check your local game stores to see if they are running a pre-release event for the new set, Battle for Zendikar. Prereleases are pretty new-player friendly, as everyone is learning how the new cards interact and such. You could call around and ask the shops if they are running a pre-release and if so, do they think the crowd will be pretty new-player friendly. WotC actually encourages new players to try the pre-releases and they encourage a friendly atmosphere where new players can ask experiences players about the cards and how to play, etc.

At the pre-release you'll get a deck box, a life counter, 6 booster packs and foil promo - and you use all of this to make a deck and play against other people. In the US it's about $30, and the event last for a few hours, so it's a pretty good deal - and you get to keep the cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above posts about learning through the app and maybe at a release this weekend and next. I warn you that you'll want to have a grasp on the rules before playing at an event in which you're supposed to build your own deck.

However, I'd also suggest that you don't buy into a CCG just because you don't own one. If you don't already have friends that play or you aren't very good at wiggling into a group that has cards for you to use, it could cost a small fortune to buy the cards you'll want, if you want to be competitive against strangers with large collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One caution though; a pre-release can still be quite intimidating , especially if you still have to learn the rules of the game. You're asked to build a deck on the spot with a time limit. I you have played the game a couple of times it can be a very nice experience, but with no experience at all I wouldn't advise it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Seabie wrote:
One caution though; a pre-release can still be quite intimidating , especially if you still have to learn the rules of the game. You're asked to build a deck on the spot with a time limit. I you have played the game a couple of times it can be a very nice experience, but with no experience at all I wouldn't advise it.

I agree, you need to know the basics before tackling a prerelease event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All good points. I guess I was thinking that one of my local game stores has a pretty active "Learn to play magic" campaign and the people who work there are almost always up for teaching someone. But yeah, if you don't have the basics down the pre-release might not be so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks at ton for the guidance guys.I have seen at a nearby game site that they do have sumne learning sessions, but did not know that this game is so complex that you would need one.

So here is what I'm going to do:
Book on time there to get the game thought
May be get the into packs as suggested to understand what's going on, before I start collecting cards.

Thanks a ton!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.